Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I explain in my most recent post in this thread https://speakev.com/threads/new-member-from-purley-south-of-london.4752/ one scenario I am considering would leave us with two vehicles which would need charging overnight.

I am already on economy 7 (11:30 to 6:30 in Winter, and hour later in Summer).

Both cars we might purchase seem only capable of charging at Max of 16 amp each.

Can we get OLEV grants for both cars, and have two chargers installed?

As a follow on question - do most people just allow the car dealer to propose a deal for the charger (presumably using a nationwide company to act as a middleman), or is there a way to support local tradesmen by purchasing the charger yourself and arranging a local installer.?

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
No you can only have one.

Yes you can choose local but most travel anyway. There are a couple who are members who come highly recommended.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
You can find a supplier/installer yourself rather than just taking the advice of the dealer but you cannot buy the equipment yourself. The installer will supply the equipment. The suppliers and the equipment are OLEV approved and so you must use an OLEV approved supplier/installer.

·
http://ts.la/david3488
642 Posts
Alternatively IF you are competent or know someone who is you could have a 32A charger installed by olev and use an opensource hydra box to safely charge both cars.
But you do need to know what you are doing or know someone who does !
video is type1 specific

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
As far as I am aware, OLEV granted chargers are regulated to one per address. However if you are creative and apply for a second one in your partner/son/daughters name, and have a house number at your address, there's no reason you couldn't try saying that that numbers 23a and 23b (say) are separate properties/flats/whatever.

If you're buying two cars, you're not asking for more than two independent buyers would receive.

You're not obliged to accept the charge installer a dealership might propose. Just contact your supplier/fitter of choice and provided they're OLEV approved, there'll be no problem.
Recent experience seems to indicate that OLEV require the Car registered at the address and the Electric bill in the same name ideally. If you get both V5 and Leccy bill changed to 23b then should sail through hopefully. I really should do this myself as I have 5 EVs on my drive and only one charge point.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I'm having no issues getting an OLEV charger installed at a family members address because my housing association have prohibited me having one at my own place.

Believe they are stricter on customers who've obtained a vehicle on the Motability scheme though.
May i suggest you have had no issues yet. I had a plaintive call from Chargemaster weeks after the install saying you install has been rejected, I had to supply more info. Not sure what would happen if OLEV refuse grant, I suppose I would say come and take it away then.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I made enquiries as to having a second charger when my wife had her Leaf and was told you can have two chargers if you have two electric cars at the same address.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Agreed - you can have two chargers (The limit is two!) and receive the Govt. grant for both:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...charge-scheme-guidance-for-customers-2015.pdf

Q5 Is there a limit on the number of chargepoints I can claim for? Yes, the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme grant is limited to one installation at a domestic residence per eligible vehicle, up to a maximum of two chargepoints at a single residence. If applying for your second chargepoint at a single residence, it is vitally important that when your installer informs the Distribution Network Operator, they must clearly state that this is a second chargepoint, and give the combined current of the two chargepoints in amps, e.g. 2 x 16A charge points installed at a total of 32A. No more than 2 chargepoints can be funded at one property irrespective of how many vehicles are registered there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We have installed two chargers at quite a number of customers properties and had no issues.

OLEV are okay with 2 being installed. The DNO just needs to be notified about the total number of amperage's. Everything else goes as normal.

·
Registered
i8, e2008, i3, eNV200
225 Posts
We have installed two chargers at quite a number of customers properties and had no issues.

OLEV are okay with 2 being installed. The DNO just needs to be notified about the total number of amperage's. Everything else goes as normal.

Is there any issue with having 2 32A chargers on a 100A incoming fuse?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts