Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

We've had a few tweets recently about why certain hotel chains don't have CPs installed for guests.

Oddly enough we had an email from a hotel owner this morning saying

'I own several large hotels in the North West which operate under a leading hotel brand. Can you please advise what a typical ROI is on the charging unit?Do you have charging stations at any hotels and if so can you give me data that suggests an increase in room reservations due to the units. Our hotels are all right next to the M6 and on major A roads'

I'll go back to the hotels we DO have points at and ask them if they've noticed an increase in bookings, but I just wanted to canvas some opinion from drivers about whether you look into whether a hotel has a CP before you book. Would this be part of your decision process?

I'll forward the person back with a link to this thread after a couple of days to help make heir mind up.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I always check if a hotel has EV charging and will always stay at a hotel that does in preference to ones that don't.

Best Western have quite a few now and they have become my hotel chain of first choice.

The trouble with looking at ROI at this early stage of transition to EVs is that there are so few of us around at the moment that I would be surprised that any hotels noticed enough of a increase in bookings to show up in their figures. It really needs hotels to install because they want to, because it encourages the transiiton to EVs and it is evidence of their commitment to green issues... rather than purely a financial decision.

I would also hope that they would incorporate the costs of charging into their overall business costs or, if they cannot do that, then charge a sensible rate for an overnight charge while staying.

Just my 2p worth :)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I agree that I would prefer any location with EV charging over one without if all other factors were equal. Now we only own an EV and no ICE car when we plan our holidays I will be looking to stay somewhere where I can charge overnight.

The great thing about "destination"/over night charging like this is companies don't need to invest in rapids or other expensive technology, we only need to "trickle" charge while we eat, sleep and make them some money. :D

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I have only stayed in Hotels with charging for the last 2 years. I have never had to pay for charging, and would be disappointed to have to pay if I were staying overnight. Happy to pay if I were not staying or dining.
(Ampera only uses 12kWh Usually less than the cost of a pint of beer, maybe a Tesla S might be more significant to fully charge.)

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Charging points are now top of my list for booking accommodation. As most of my travels leave me staying near a main road (and the ampera can't use the ecotricity chargers) I will be aiming for sites which allow me to charge the old girl up overnight. If they had 16A charging then I would consider dropping in for a few hours to catch up with paperwork :)

·
Banned
558 Posts
Hotels with EV Charging might like to try the occasional 'weekend break' offer to EV motorists? I don't think the EV customer base us large enough to justify an EV 'discount'; however, promoting ECO-breaks to zero carbon motorists has a nice green-flavour? Better to encourage customers with 'green credentials'? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Banned
558 Posts
CYC,
From a Health and Safety point of view - it is recommended that hotels do not promote charging from a 13amp socket. It is understood that such facilities will soon be deemed illegal. The minimum standard facility should be installed by a certified electrician and (as a minimum) include an RCD trip device and terminate in Type-2 / Mennekes socket(s).
Further advice on signage and parking bay marking could be given at a later stage in your dialogue?

·
Registered
307 Posts
I base my decision to stay at a hotel only if they have a charging point. The Days Inn and Travelodge with attached Ecotricity rapids now get all my bookings.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I'm not too sure that a hotelier should today expect to make a profit from EV charging. There are just too few of us that we would be a noticeable jump.

That said I am certainly looking to stay next week in Dartford and looking for a hotel with charging facilities.

It might be worth pointing out to your hotelier that if, as they say they are along the M6 then north of Manchester - Carlisle is particularly sparsely covered so would be more interesting.

You could also I guess point out the experience of Aston Court hotel.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I will look at the option of charging at any hotel I would look at, and will decide to use an hotel with a charger over others (when the price for a room is similar) It will also be used in deciding where to go or what route to follow, specially when there are only a few chargers in that area.

·
BEV road warrior
662 Posts
I think the hospitality industry needs to wake up. In the olden days they charged us for phone calls until we all went to mobiles, then they charged us for mini bar until we all stopped using them. (Notice they are removed from some chains now as cost of maintaining for zero revenue). Then they tried to charge us massive rates for 1 hour access to wifi. They failed to notice we will only book a property with wifi. A few chains now offer it inclusive in rate. That is the model they need to follow and the EV charging is the same. Stop trying to add to our rates with things that should be inclusive and actually don't cost that much. I don't need a trouser press and expensive carpets and curtains I need functional capabilities for a reasonable price. Rant off. A bit like free coffee refills. Or Waitrose free coffee. They should look at the footfall that generates when they are checking occupancy rates. EV charge points are the next Wifi. Get with the programme.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Yes I think your analogy is a good one. If I am a hotelier why will I offer a service?

1. Because it is an upsell opportunity
2. Because it attracts guests to my hotel and not the one down the road
3. Because it has become ubiquitous and I am losing guests to the one down the road
4. Because it allows him to project something of the values of the hotel or provides a talking point when guests leave

On the converse our hotelier will remove a feature (or no longer install it) when it is costing him money or customers no longer care about it.

Right now the EV driver offers none of the above. We are a very small group of individuals. If our hotelier were to introduce a charger then suddenly expect to see a revenue uplift directly associated then he would be disappointed.

Right now I see that charging point installation fits into 4 above and this is very difficult to quantify.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes I think your analogy is a good one. If I am a hotelier why will I offer a service?

1. Because it is an upsell opportunity
2. Because it attracts guests to my hotel and not the one down the road
3. Because it has become ubiquitous and I am losing guests to the one down the road
4. Because it allows him to project something of the values of the hotel or provides a talking point when guests leave

On the converse our hotelier will remove a feature (or no longer install it) when it is costing him money or customers no longer care about it.

Right now the EV driver offers none of the above. We are a very small group of individuals. If our hotelier were to introduce a charger then suddenly expect to see a revenue uplift directly associated then he would be disappointed.

Right now I see that charging point installation fits into 4 above and this is very difficult to quantify.
Surely point 2 applies? I would book a room at a hotel with a charging facility rather than the one down the road assuming the prices and other factors were equal

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I think the hospitality industry needs to wake up
Today the majority of ZeroNet locations offer free charging in return for your custom. That's ~350 UK locations;

http://zerocarbonworld.org/zero-net

It's also no coincidence that Best Western were the first hotel group in the world to offer free wifi and they have EV charging in the majority of their UK locations today with ambitions to have it at every location globally.

You'll also see the hospitality industry include EV charging in their green rating schemes this year.

Having said all of that it's critical that EV drivers promote the hotels when we use the EV charging. I'm amazed how often I go to a ZeroNet location and get told the charging is being used weekly but can find no evidence in social media :rolleyes:

If everyone followed @Grant Thomas example (here) then we'd soon have EV charging everywhere.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have been slowly working my way through hotels 'down South' for accommodation towards end of June. Charging facility was my main request. As it happens they were booked up anyway so ended up in a B+B but as I whittled them down, really helpful bunch when full, I often pointed them in the direction of ZCW suggesting it would be a unique selling point for an increasing EV population.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts