Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m still a novice at charging and have found a free Pod-Point 7kw at my local Tesco. Was charging this morning, charge showed 6kw then it changed to 50kw and the chatging stopped. Anyone care to explain what’s happened.

Vehicle Speedometer Gauge Automotive design Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
Leaf e+
249 Posts
That display will show whatever 'estimated time' when the car is not actively charging. Its based on settings in the menu like below:

To do this go to settings, as below:
G​
View attachment 141200

Go to EV Settings as below:

View attachment 141201

Go to Charge Time Screen as below:

View attachment 141202

Ensure that 50Kw(Quick Charge) is switched to “on” –

View attachment 141203

Then go to the Charge time Estimate screen, as below it should show “50KW”

View attachment 141204
Is it stopping unexpectedly? As it's Pod-Point - are you confirming the charge?
Most Pod-Point chargers - including the free ones require you to confirm you are charging using the app. If not it may terminate the charge after 15 minutes.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I think all the Tesco ones are free to use.

I have also discovered a free to use 22kw on at Sainsbury's, Filton, Bristol. So check your local Sainsburys as these may get rolled out.

I think it's brilliant - in a typical shop of 40 mins or so, you'd get a good 11 or 12 KW which is well worth having - whereas a 7KW only gives just about 4.

I love chargers at supermarkets, it's just a shame more aren't a little more "rapid" to allow a decent charge in a usual shop time.

It would also be good if places like Malls and so on did a decently quick charge at a reasonable price - too many try to charge over the top money.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,823 Posts

I have also discovered a free to use 22kw on at Sainsbury's, Filton, Bristol. So check your local Sainsburys as these may get rolled out.

I think it's brilliant - in a typical shop of 40 mins or so, you'd get a good 11 or 12 KW which is well worth having - whereas a 7KW only gives just about 4.

I love chargers at supermarkets, it's just a shame more aren't a little more "rapid" to allow a decent charge in a usual shop time.

It would also be good if places like Malls and so on did a decently quick charge at a reasonable price - too many try to charge over the top money.
Yes, so you wonder why Morrisons levy a charge for their Geniepoint chargers? Obvious that customers with EVs will go to a competitor.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,100 Posts

The 7 & 22kW posts at Tesco are free, you just have to confirm the charge, as mentioned earlier.
Rapids are "priced in line with market rates".

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
565 Posts
My local Tesco has a 7Kw which is free, just need to register the charge, there is also a 50Kw which is Pay, tried this last week just to test as not done a rapid charge before, worked OK cost me £4.73 for 26 Kw top up to 80% while I was shopping.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,865 Posts
If a Tesco has 3 types of point, Rapid single 50kw, Large advert board , and a stumpy post ---- then the stumpy post is normally the 22kw dual ports --- have look on the top of it to see if this is the case.
This stumpy post seems still to be free (at the moment) as are the advert board 7kw ports.

There is a Tesco website saying which shops have charge areas, but not the types, that I could see.
Zap-Map tends to get updated fairly quickly thought.

If there's no Rapid at the site then the Advert Board and Stumpy post tend to be around 6.8kw on all 2+2 ports.

·
Registered
EGolf
131 Posts

Out of the 3 posts and 6 sockets available 2 (4) are out of order at this Sainsbury's. Also they dont seem to communicate the usage to the app.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,100 Posts
If a Tesco has 3 types of point, Rapid single 50kw, Large advert board , and a stumpy post ---- then the stumpy post is normally the 22kw dual ports --- have look on the top of it to see if this is the case.
This stumpy post seems still to be free (at the moment) as are the advert board 7kw ports.

There is a Tesco website saying which shops have charge areas, but not the types, that I could see.
Zap-Map tends to get updated fairly quickly thought.

If there's no Rapid at the site then the Advert Board and Stumpy post tend to be around 6.8kw on all 2+2 ports.
The link I posted above lists Tesco branches where posts have been fitted, and which have gone live.
It does not list which type of post has been fitted where, however.

·
Registered
EGolf
131 Posts
Bloody marvellous!

I was planning to use on Friday - I might still pop past, but am at least prepared now that it might be useless.
I've used them twice in the last few months, the last time was a Sunday morning and had to wait an hour for someone to finish. They have been out of action sometime so I'm lead to believe. Shame as they are in walking distance for me

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Oh that's perfect for you.

I have one walkable from me at Longwell green - 7KW and £1.20 - I always feel guilty for blocking it up for a while, but I assuage my conscience for the following.

1) If they wanted you to only charge there while you shop they would either make the connection free, and then charge per KW...... OR They would be rapids, and you would pay per KWh. No-one is going to pay £1.20 for a 10-20 minute charge which will give about 1-2KWh at most - that's 60p per KWh

2) If they only wanted you to stay 2 hrs the car park / charger would have that as a condition of parking. It doesn't.

3) The store manager told me to "park as long as you want - BP Pulse rent those spaces off us and no-one charges there anyhow"

4) I NEVER see another car charging there. Plenty of disabled (understandable as it used to be the disabled bay - they have moved them which wasn't a good idea in my opinion), or regular ICE'd - and here is an observation which others could corroberate...... when they are ICE'd it has absolutely ALWAYS been a BMW, Merc, Audi or Land Rover / Range Rover vehicle, 99% it has been an SUV under 3 years old and 99% driven by a skinny tanned woman with too much makeup in joggers, who is a lot older than her appearance first suggests.....) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What on earth is it with that type of person they think they can park wherever they like without any of the rules applying to them!???? Almost always the same people who park in Disabled bays without badges, although the owner isn't then always young and female, but the make of car is almost always the same 3 or 4 brands.

·
Registered
EGolf
131 Posts
Oh that's perfect for you.

I have one walkable from me at Longwell green - 7KW and £1.20 - I always feel guilty for blocking it up for a while, but I assuage my conscience for the following.

1) If they wanted you to only charge there while you shop they would either make the connection free, and then charge per KW...... OR They would be rapids, and you would pay per KWh. No-one is going to pay £1.20 for a 10-20 minute charge which will give about 1-2KWh at most - that's 60p per KWh

2) If they only wanted you to stay 2 hrs the car park / charger would have that as a condition of parking. It doesn't.

3) The store manager told me to "park as long as you want - BP Pulse rent those spaces off us and no-one charges there anyhow"

4) I NEVER see another car charging there. Plenty of disabled (understandable as it used to be the disabled bay - they have moved them which wasn't a good idea in my opinion), or regular ICE'd - and here is an observation which others could corroberate...... when they are ICE'd it has absolutely ALWAYS been a BMW, Merc, Audi or Land Rover / Range Rover vehicle, 99% it has been an SUV under 3 years old and 99% driven by a skinny tanned woman with too much makeup in joggers, who is a lot older than her appearance first suggests.....) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What on earth is it with that type of person they think they can park wherever they like without any of the rules applying to them!???? Almost always the same people who park in Disabled bays without badges, although the owner isn't then always young and female, but the make of car is almost always the same 3 or 4 brands.
Sainsbury's have a 3hour parking limit so i assume this applies to charging, though i didnt ask anyone to confirm. I might have to take a trip to LG, can walk the dog for an hour or 2 no problem.

PS I will tell my wife not to wear her joggers in future 🤣🤣

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am also new to an EV, tried connecting car to a Tesco charger, nothing seemed to happen. People say you need to "confirm the charge", what does this mean please. I have a Podpoint app on my mobile, is this what I need to use? Sorry to appear so thick, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am also new to an EV, tried connecting car to a Tesco charger, nothing seemed to happen. People say you need to "confirm the charge", what does this mean please. I have a Podpoint app on my mobile, is this what I need to use? Sorry to appear so thick, any help would be appreciated.
That’s exactly it; download the app and register an account and log in to it. You can then see the chargers you are located near on the map, select the one you are already charging at (note whether it’s the A or B connector you are plugged in to) and touch ‘Confirm charge’. Fast and reliable in my experience of using PodPoint app (you will be forced to log in to the app periodically though).

Reactions: peterboat
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.