Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just charged my new car for the first time at a public charging point, it was at Liverpool Q car park.
the rate was 30p per kWh with a £2 connection charged. In all it cost me £12.24 and this took 5 hours. It only gave me about 80% full, this is around 124 miles. If I was to use these charging points regular it probably cost more than my diesel car to run.
i did think it was going to cheaper than this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I have a Pod-Point at home. Do I contact my energy supplier to change my tariff for EV

·
Registered
731 Posts
Public charging would work out expensive if using all the time, on the other hand it used to cost me over £100 to fill my BMW X5 with diesel!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Even with a normal tariff you should be around the 15-17p per kWh mark.
Publicly owned chargers will always be more, unless subsidised in some way, as they have infrastructure to cover.
Typically you'd charge at home with occasional rapid/destination use when you need it.

·
jim5452
172 Posts
Surely 30p KWH plus £2 is not the normal charge, I have never charged at a public charger in the 18 months I have had the car, so I do not know.
I have worked out that it is costing me between 1p and 2p per mile
The OP has paid 10p per mile , which as he says is almost as much as fossil fuel at the pump which has dropped 10p per litre in the last 3 weeks

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,695 Posts
I have just charged my new car for the first time at a public charging point, it was at Liverpool Q car park.
the rate was 30p per kWh with a £2 connection charged. In all it cost me £12.24 and this took 5 hours. It only gave me about 80% full, this is around 124 miles. If I was to use these charging points regular it probably cost more than my diesel car to run.
i did think it was going to cheaper than this.
Paying for the convenience of being right in the centre of the shopping zone, cheaper charging on route worth looking into depending on your round trip and range?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I live in Liverpool and have seen those chargers but not used them. Our elec supplier is Ecotricity and if you go for the electric car bundle you get half price electricity at the Electric Highway chargers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts