Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got home from visiting the RHS gardens at Wisley. They have two Chargemaster charging posts there, with dedicated parking bays for four electric vehicles, very close to the ticket office and entrance in car park 1. They're really well signposted and easy to find, with clear signage saying they are for electric vehicles only. They were empty when I got there, but the signs hadn't stopped somebody from parking a mini in one of them by the time I left ... I don't think it was an electric mini, it wasn't plugged in and had conventional exhausts. Totally baffled..the car park had plenty of spare spaces close by! The two posts each had one 13A socket and one Type 2 socket, and were operated by getting an RFID card with a clear instruction sheet from the ticket office, on payment of a £5 deposit, which was refunded when you return the card, so the electricity is free. I hooked up my Ampera without too many problems, though it took a couple of goes to get the thing to switch on, and for some reason it would only charge at 6A, not sure why. As a result I only managed to get about 8 miles of charge into the car by the time I left, but hey, it was interesting as my first charge in a public place, and it was free!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Like you I've been taking my brave pills and used two public charging points recently and after you get the order of connecting up correct it becomes quite painless really!!!

I tend to subscribe to the theory that Mini drivers (as with a lot of BMW drivers strangely enough) play by different rules to the rest of the world that they make up just for their own comfort and convenience! (LOL)

By the way I'm not normally in to gardening but was the visit to Wisly to be recommended?

Big Paul

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Big Paul said:
By the way I'm not normally in to gardening but was the visit to Wisly to be recommended?
Big Paul
Definitely, you dont have to be into gardening, just beautiful landscapes, trees, shrubs and plants. The main focus for our visit to day (I met a friend there) was the Tropical House and the butterflies. Every year they have a few weeks where hundreds of exotic butterflies are released inside the huge tropical greenhouse and you walk through with the flying all around you, landing on you if you're lucky :) Some of them are stunning. The rest of the gardens were, as you'd expect at this time of year, a bit empty but still a fair bit of interest, like some lovely drifts of snowdrops, and plenty of crocuses coming through - many in flower already.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Had a superb day out at RHS Wisley today, stunning gardens.
Used their chargemaster card, got the 4 green lights for 10amp charging on my charger with one bib and a constant dash green light, the column correctly showing green lights, returned 7 hours later with the column showing blue lights and no green or orange light inside car indicating car was not plugged in. Switched on, only 13 miles electric range on the car :eek: Perhaps there is a time limit set on these columns or their supplied card. Will check with chargemaster if this is the case.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Do you have the charging type set to start charging immediately it is plugged in? If not then perhaps there was a power interruption and when the power came back it it was on delayed charge? I realise that the dash light should then be flashing green to show that a charge is pending but it could be a bug that it doesn't flash if a charge is interrupted?

I have no evidence for this... Just a thought :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks Paul for your reply, I'm baffled why this happened, I set the charge to be immediate charge but the car was not receiving any juice on my return, no red or green lights on the charge cord or car dash. maybe, as you say there was a bug, the interuption of the power caused the total shut down rather than resetting itself, be interesting to see if chargemaster can throw any light on it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Spoke to Chargemaster, there are no time limit on their charging posts or their cards, said it is most likely to be a power failure.
Having investigated and quickly returned my call, the left charging column was OK but a fault was found on the right column, recently, every day it has been turning off, they will get an engineer out to repair it.
If I had chose the left one my total journey of 109 miles, would have been almost all on electric.
As a result I have de-activated the the burping sound given when there is a break in charging before a full charge is achieved, must have been very annoying to the nearby cafe although it was not sounding when I returned 7 hours later.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Chargers currently not working whilst they redevelop the site. According to a report on Zap-Map and also on the RHS website there will be 8 new chargers installed by the autumn. No idea what type, what supplier or whether this time they will be chargeable (probably will).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts