Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone has come across temporary charging points installed at events, country fairs, music festivals, exhibitions, etc ?

Thinking that it might be a nice bit of publicity for an event to cater for and attract EV drivers.
I thought I had seen a picture of one somewhere, but a quick google search didn't bring anything up....

·
Registered
628 Posts
Charge stations were available at the Evolution Car show (Ingliston, Edinburgh) a few weeks ago.

Perhaps cheating at an EV show but I was grateful they were available nevertheless!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some 13A sockets are used at the Hay Festival;

http://www.ecotravelnetwork.co.uk/ETN-News/electric-vehicle-charging-at-hay-festival

View attachment 966

ZCW also lend out mobile Charging Stations from time to time but to be honest site electrics are extremely variable and I always think charging at more permanent locations nearby is a much more reliable solution :)
I figured proper infrastructure would be preferable, but as most events have a plethora of generators running, hanging a handful of EV's off them charging up, seems like a cheap and simple way to boost the Eco travel credentials of an event...

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
ZCW also lend out mobile Charging Stations from time to time but to be honest site electrics are extremely variable and I always think charging at more permanent locations nearby is a much more reliable solution :)
The problem with this is that you are saying "Drive a petrol or diesel car? We have plenty of on-site parking for you just a few steps from the attractions at this event. Drive an EV? Go park somewhere else and find another way to get the last mile or five to the event."

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
The problem with this is that you are saying "Drive a petrol or diesel car?
I'm simply pointing out the reality of trying to charge EVs from temporary power supplies in the UK based on my experience.

At last years WAVE they had a team of 8 electrical engineers supervising the temporary power and they still had some problems despite months of planning and superb Swiss/German infrastructure.

This is a difficult problem and the last thing you want is drivers turning up who can't charge (like the last time we went to Goodwood for an electric car event where EV charging stopped every time someone put the kettle on).

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
as most events have a plethora of generators running, hanging a handful of EV's off them charging up, seems like a cheap and simple way to boost the Eco travel credentials of an event...
One of the negative comments made about the Alternative Energy Racing at Santa Pod was that we spent all day breathing in the toxic diesel from the generators and it did nothing to improve the image of our diesel powered electric cars with the public :(

Personally I would like the show grounds to install permanent charging for EVs but that's not easy when even Formula E aren't interested :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of the negative comments made about the Alternative Energy Racing at Santa Pod was that we spent all day breathing in the toxic diesel from the generators and it did nothing to improve the image of our diesel powered electric cars with the public :(

Personally I would like the show grounds to install permanent charging for EVs but that's not easy when even Formula E aren't interested :rolleyes:
Completely agree that charging off generators is rather self defeating, and real chargers attached to a mains supply would be most sensible. However, as an interim option, it would allow a greater range of EV users to attend events.
Even it they only offer 3.3kw (16a) charging posts, you would have though that an even that is supposed to keep you busy for 6 hours would be able to offer the facility to get a decent charge into an EV without too much trouble.

Baby steps at a time, whilst we slowly build out an EV charging network to rival the number of Fuel stations that we have. Destination charging removes the need for rapid charging, but for locations without destination charging, then a well spread network of rapids is the only way forwards. At the minute, it seems the destination and rapid networks are growing, but at a fairly slow rate.
Although maybe its the same rate as petrol stations when ICE vehicles were first released... ?

Maybe there is a deal to be done with someone like Ecotricity rolling out a mass number of 32a charging stations to showgrounds. Just need to get a sensible charging point manufacturer on board ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts