Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how many B250e cars there are in the UK? Wouldn't it be brilliant if we could use Tesla chargers? Could we all approach Elon Musk to ask if it was possible for a reasonable fee? I know I am just dreaming...

·
Premium Member
10,077 Posts

·
Registered
11,458 Posts
Unfortunately the B250e has no DC charging capability, so it isn't possible to add Supercharger access.
Legend has it that it was originally designed to work on Superchargers, but Mercedes couldn’t agree on how to access or pay Tesla for use of them.

After all the drivetrain was made by Tesla.

·
Premium Member
10,077 Posts
Yeah, probably an initial idea they had but we know there is nothing on the Type 2 (from teardowns) to support DC charging and the Type 1 fitted in NA obviously has no way of doing it.

Incidentally, the Type 2 they fitted doesn't even work well with many rapids as can't support the cable weight! We found you had to hold plug up when starting charge - not that we sipped 11kW from them often ;)

·
Premium Member
10,077 Posts
You can't use Superchargers but you can buy an adapter to use their Tesla Destination Chargers which typically output enough power to charge our B's at 30 or more mph.
In Europe the car has the standard Type 2 connector so works on all unlocked destination chargers, which are tethered Type 2. In Europe Tesla lock at least one destination chargers per site so they only work with their cars.

The problem with the European B250e is that it only charges at 3kW (16A) on single phase, which is the bulk of public and home charging and a pain. On 3 phase it will charge at 11kW (3x16A) which is around 33 miles an hour, but this isn't viable in most UK homes.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
If B250e did have DC connectivity through its type 2 socket a la Tesla, then the easiest option would be a Tesla Chademo adaptor.

But it doesn't.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The problem with the European B250e is that it only charges at 3kW (16A) on single phase, which is the bulk of public and home charging and a pain. On 3 phase it will charge at 11kW (3x16A) which is around 33 miles an hour, but this isn't viable in most UK homes.

Wow that kinda sucks. Here most public chargers are 6.6 - 7.2kW (32A), occasionally you can get lucky and find a 10kw (40A) charger.. those are like unicorns though. I was tempted to get the adapter for Tesla destination chargers for here in the U.S. they aren't locked down and they typically are at 80A so for the B it would pull 40A.

Even though at around $3,000 USD the JdeMO add-on for our B's is a bit expensive, I intend to get it mainly because when I'm done with the car I'm passing it down to my kids to drive and I want them to have the option to fast charge if necessary. https://shop.quickchargepower.com/JdeMO-for-the-Mercedes-B-Class-ED-and-B250e-JdeMObclassED.htm

·
Premium Member
10,077 Posts
Let us know how you get on with the CHAdeMO upgrade, I am sure there are European owners who would love to get it fitted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts