Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have struck a deal with my employer on charging my car while I am at work, now a workplace charger is a no-go, but I have a granny cable that I have for emergencies, while this is slow, I would be plugged in for at least 8 hours, so its ok. Would my best bet be to get an outdoor extension lead with UK socket or we have 3 pin commando sockets, could i get an extension lead for the commando that will lead to a UK plug?

All suggestions welcome, however don't want to spend more than £50

Thanks,

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you have commandos already, definitely use them rather than a 13A soocket.
No problem getting a commando to 13A lead, but make sure the socket is physically big enough - many granny chargers have large plugs.
e.g. this ( they will do custom lengths)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is being at work an emergency?
Intended to be used 2-3 times during a 7 day period

If you have commandos already, definitely use them rather than a 13A soocket.
No problem getting a commando to 13A lead, but make sure the socket is physically big enough - many granny chargers have large plugs.
e.g. this ( they will do custom lengths)
Thanks, saw this earlier, is there a length at which you start to lose effectiveness?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
If this is going to be a regular method of charging your car, I would suggest that you procure a new granny charger, one that is supplied with an integral (water resistant) CEE plug, rated at 16 Amps preferably adjustable. All it would take is one likely failure of your makeshift BS1363 plug granny and you will be glad you spent the money for proper equipment and didn't penny pinch.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Things to consider.
waterproof socket with a min 16A
Cable that will have minimal loss, this depends on length of lead you will need. so you maybe want to consider a larger core.
If time isn't an issue slow charge is always preferable to rapid charge.
Make sure you get a rubber cable cover to prevent people tripping on it. Unless you will ensure nobody will be able to walk over it.
Make sure your employer will not consider recover the electricity you use as this will be considered BIK by the tax man.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Based on your budget, a bus pass would be more suitable to your needs.

The car runs on fresh air as it is, why go to all this effort for what will save you washers?

·
Registered
369 Posts
You need to be sure the socket and its wiring that they provide you is of good quality - it might be handy to get a granny charger that can do a slightly lower charge rate so perhaps 8A, this reduces the risk of you causing a fire at your employers premises...

Also the Zoe is pretty inefficient at low charge rates, with an 8A granny charger I was drawing 1.9kw from the mains but getting less than 1kw actually going into the battery, full charge from flat was therefore over 20 hours.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If this is going to be a regular method of charging your car, I would suggest that you procure a new granny charger, one that is supplied with an integral (water resistant) CEE plug, rated at 16 Amps preferably adjustable. All it would take is one likely failure of your makeshift BS1363 plug granny and you will be glad you spent the money for proper equipment and didn't penny pinch.
I have the BMW i3 charger, not sure how this rates against other ones?

Things to consider.
waterproof socket with a min 16A
Cable that will have minimal loss, this depends on length of lead you will need. so you maybe want to consider a larger core.
If time isn't an issue slow charge is always preferable to rapid charge.
Make sure you get a rubber cable cover to prevent people tripping on it. Unless you will ensure nobody will be able to walk over it.
Make sure your employer will not consider recover the electricity you use as this will be considered BIK by the tax man.
Thanks for that, everything will be covered so weather will not be an issue, where the car will be parked there will be no foot traffic over the cable, already sorted ref electric use.

Based on your budget, a bus pass would be more suitable to your needs.

The car runs on fresh air as it is, why go to all this effort for what will save you washers?
Ah, thanks for the input, i would hardly consider buying an extension lead and/or connector to be a lot of effort, the saving in time and money is worth it.

You need to be sure the socket and its wiring that they provide you is of good quality - it might be handy to get a granny charger that can do a slightly lower charge rate so perhaps 8A, this reduces the risk of you causing a fire at your employers premises...

Also the Zoe is pretty inefficient at low charge rates, with an 8A granny charger I was drawing 1.9kw from the mains but getting less than 1kw actually going into the battery, full charge from flat was therefore over 20 hours.
All the wiring is on the same system that is set up to charge multiple forklifts and other vehicles, so it us used to being under a load, when I would be plugged in there would be not forklifts charging, its not being plugged into an office socket or anything.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Ok, you seem to have assessed the electrical system and are charging under some kind of weather cover?

The BS1363 plug on your granny really is the weak link in your setup hence my earlier suggestion.

Regards

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,239 Posts
I am with @freddym on this one. If you want to use a granny charger, better have one with the big blue plug directly on it.

@G.a.r.y s remark about inefficiency needs some clarification. 6A is "wasted" (not as in blown away, but as in can't use for real charging) as the ZOE has a substantal reactive load. When charging at a 8A setting that leaves just over 5A (1250 W real energy) available to the car. It then looses some heat so pretty slow. The real energy draw (what the meter measures) is not 1.9 kW.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Also are your forklift sockets CEE 32Amps blue, CEE 415 red, or CEE 16 Amps blue.

Apologies if you have already told us.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, you seem to have assessed the electrical system and are charging under some kind of weather cover?

The BS1363 plug on your granny really is the weak link in your setup hence my earlier suggestion.

Thats correct, yes the car is under a cover

Regards
Also are your forklift sockets CEE 32Amps blue, CEE 415 red, or CEE 16 Amps blue.

Apologies if you have already told us.
Hi, We have both 32amps blue and red outlets

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Very Interesting!

Have you worked out how long you need to charge (worst case) for your 22kW??? three phase charging Zoe.

How many hours per day do you get access to the forklift sockets?

What length of cable to you need between socket and Zoe nose, can you always park up close?

·
Registered
696 Posts
In which case I suggest you get a 32A EVSE with 32A CEE plug.
The cheapest option is the Ohme cable with the Octopus Energy offer, at £200.
Alternatively, the Zencar, which the Ohme is based on, and has teh advantage of manually settable current :

·
Registered
696 Posts
Money no object? Supply adequate?

If you're parking all day, then you don't need the speed of 3-phase, a single-phase 32A EVSE is cheaper, and will be more useful elsewhere, and also will be useful if you change car infuture to one that doesn't support 3-phase charging

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very Interesting!

Have you worked out how long you need to charge (worst case) for your 22kW??? three phase charging Zoe.

How many hours per day do you get access to the forklift sockets?

What length of cable to you need between socket and Zoe nose, can you always park up close?
Seems to be whoever wired our place up just added as many different types of sockets... guess equipment has changed over the years

Between 4-8hrs per day I will have access, its not critical if i can't get charging, hence the fact I am happy with a slow charge, plugged in for between 4-8hrs every few days.

If it is recommended that I wait awhile and purchase another cable then I will, was hoping that there was an option to continue using my granny cable with some form of outdoor extension lead.

Depends on what equipment / vehicles are parked, could be anything from 5m to 15m

·
Registered
696 Posts
If it is recommended that I wait awhile and purchase another cable then I will, was hoping that there was an option to continue using my granny cable with some form of outdoor extension lead.
Using your granny with an extension is a viable option, just use a good quality extension and keep an regular eye on heating of the 13A plug.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts