Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all, sorry if this has been covered before.

Obviously, during lockdown I'm not using my car everyday like I used to (30kw 2016 leaf).

I go out shopping once a week, a 10 minute drive away (sometimes twice a week to get shopping for vulnerable people).

I used to charge my car, 5/6 days a week for about 3 or 4 hours a night and sometimes gave it a full charge.

I'm now charging about once a week for no more than an hour and a half and making sure the % is around 50%.

Should I still fully charge occasionally and take it for a longer drive. What's the best thing to do to keep the battery healthy?

Thanks

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,158 Posts
Just keep doing what you’re doing for now. When lockdown lifts and you’re using your car again, give it a decent discharge and then a full 100% charge to help balance the cells again.

As long as the main battery is being kept around 50% for now, and it’s getting enough use to keep the 12v battery charged and such I really wouldn’t be worrying about anything for now.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Just keep doing what you’re doing for now. When lockdown lifts and you’re using your car again, give it a decent discharge and then a full 100% charge to help balance the cells again.

As long as the main battery is being kept around 50% for now, and it’s getting enough use to keep the 12v battery charged and such I really wouldn’t be worrying about anything for now.
You probably need to charge up your 12v battery, say once a week, using an external charger.

·
Registered
570 Posts
You probably need to charge up your 12v battery, say once a week, using an external charger.
Once a week - Why so frequently?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Using the car will charge the 12V battery. There's no initial drain like when starting an ICE, so simply using it once or twice a week should keep the 12V healthy.

And as mentioned above, don't keep the drive battery near full or near empty for long periods as that tends to contribute to degradation

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I agree with @80698 . The LEAF30 will look after its 12v battery fine - it tops it up every 24 hours from the traction battery. If you are "lucky" you'll spot the right hand (as viewed from the nose of the car - the opposite of the one that flashes first when the traction battery charges) of the three dash lights flashes for around 15 minutes.
The traction battery will also be fine if kept between 30 and 60%.
If the car is parked outside I'd worry more about the brakes corroding and the "hand" brake pads seizing. Cover your wheels and leave the car in Park with the brakes off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts