Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
BMW I3s
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My I3s got delivered yesterday which I'm very pleased with, however when I attempted to try an ionity rapid charger the charge failed after a few minutes with the warning that the car was turned on! Can a rapid charge not be carried out with the car in standby mode, ie using the aircon, listening to the radio etc.

I did attempt a charge again with the car fully off but it failed again after a few minutes so I'm not sure if it was a charger fault.

·
Registered
BMW I3s
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, I'll try another network on my next charging session.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 BMW i3 120Ah / '20 Hyundai Kona 64kWh
1,938 Posts
I haven't ever tried starting a charge with the car still turned on, but I have frequently turned the car back on after having already started a charge - with no problems.

Ionity chargers seem to be quite unreliable (amazingly so, given the pricing). Probably more likely a charger fault than anything else.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
563 Posts
I've succesfully rapid charged while sitting in the car with aux climate/radio running, but I didn't attempt to select drive-ready mode, that wouldn't make sense anyway!
Though given how idiotic the on/off and power mode switching is in the i3 it would be a doddle to accidentally do so while you try to prevent the thing from turning off automatically.

·
1,938 Posts
I fairly often turn the car back on when charging and after ‘auxiliary climate’ has ended, or if I want to set a specific temperature. (The only other way I’ve found to reactivate climate control after it stops is via the app - but then you can’t control the temperature). But I’ve never turned it on whilst charging with my foot on the brake - so it hasn’t attempted to enter drive ready mode. I doubt it would allow that whilst charging.

·
1,938 Posts
.. but how do you prevent it turning off .. ?
Prevent the climate control turning off when the car isn’t turned on? I don’t think you can. If you select “activate auxilary climate control” on the screen when you first turn the car off, the climate will run for 30 mins and then stop.

Likewise if you use the app to pre-condition the cabin.

The only way to have continuous climate control (or to adjust the temperature etc) is to have the car turned on - but it doesn’t have to be in ‘drive ready mode’ - which you only get by pressing the brake when turning it on.

So if you want everything (screen, radio, climate etc) to stay on just do this:

• park, turn car off and plug in
  • once charging commenced turn car on - without pressing brake

·
Registered
13 Posts
It gets a little finicky. The first time I tried to use a public charging station, it wouldn't charge unless the doors were locked. That's not the case anymore. But to answer your question as others have already posted, but I'll put in my experience here too, is that yes you can charge w/ the air and radio still on. I do that when I have lunch in the car sometimes.

·
Registered
BMW I3s
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies, now I'm more familiar with the car and as you all say the car can be on but not in drive ready mode when rapid charging which is great..

I'm going to put the quirk down to the ionity charger not playing nicely with the car. As Maingau have now increased the cost of charging at Ionity I will not be using them again unless I'm in desperation!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts