Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12,683 Posts
The bottom line is just follow the manufacturers instructions. They own the warranty on the battery, have designed the BMS to protect the battery pack and there is absolutely no way they are going to offer that warranty unless they are confident that their instructions are clear and effective. With the sole exception of Tesla, AFAIK, 100% indicated is not actually 100%. The majority of EVs have a buffer, usually around 5%, and during the 20 years or so I've been building battery packs I can say with certainty that a 5% buffer is more than enough to prevent excessive cycle life degradation. Add in that EV batteries just don't get cycled much in their lifetime anyway, and I remain absolutely convinced that there is a massive amount of myth and bullshit being spread around about what owners need to do.

Best advice is just read the manual, follow its instructions and ignore all the crap that's spouted on social media . . .

·
Registered
12,683 Posts
There is no risk to charging to 80% ever... but, depending on your battery tech and how your BMS works, there might be a risk to charging regularly to 100%. So my advice works for everyone that doesn't read the manual or who has a car with a rubbish manual that doesn't specify that much detail.

That's not true, though. If the BMS uses a top balancing system (many do) then doing this will result in the pack gradually drifting out of balance. I've seen this many times over the years.

·
Registered
12,683 Posts
OK... so clearly you didn't read my caveat in my post...

I have made the relevant bit easier to read for you.

That both agrees with your first point about follow the manual advice and the point you just made about cell balancing.

Why are people so determined to p**s me off for what I can see no apparent reason?

Sorry, but where exactly is this caveat in the post of yours I quoted, because I can't see it (your snide remark seems to be quoting a different post from the one I quoted and was specifically replying to):

Totally agree but people don't read the manual most of the time even though they should. My point is that my advice is not bad advice as a starting point regardless of what battery or car you have. There is no risk to charging to 80% ever... but, depending on your battery tech and how your BMS works, there might be a risk to charging regularly to 100%. So my advice works for everyone that doesn't read the manual or who has a car with a rubbish manual that doesn't specify that much detail.

No platitudes here... just sound advice for anyone as a starting point. Of course, if your manual says something else then do that!

The problem here is that you just hate it when I am right and you will do anything to insult and discredit me. Unfortunately for you all you are doing is making yourself look like the complete ploker that you are. Now ignored (yes... another one :rolleyes: ) so your future comments fall on deaf ears. Have a great day :)
As for me being "determined to p**s me you off" that is simply untrue - you seem to be fond of using inflammatory language, not me.

·
Registered
12,683 Posts
Read my posts and then your reply makes no sense. I already mentioned about reading the manual and cell balancing... you seem to want to pick a fight over a specific post that doesn't mention that. You aren't Donald in disguise are you? This exactly what I mean... I mentioned the manual... I mentioned cell balancing if the manual says to do it and yet you still want to pick a fight with me. There seems to be no answer to the unfriendly attitude some people have towards me.

I don't, and have never, used inflammatory language except in response to someone being rude or attacking me. If people want to pick a fight then yes, I will fight back, but if people are friendly to me then I am always friendly back. Some people are just not friendly on the forum. I suspect they would be friendly face to face but being online seems to bring out the worst in some people.
I was replying to a specific post that made a statement that was wrong and potentially damaging. Claiming that this is perfectly OK because some other post from earlier in this thread had a caveat doesn't cut it - apart from anything else I'd not read the earlier post you later chose to highlight at the time I replied.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.