Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, any info greatly received used the c zero for couple of years and generally when charging to the max gives a range of 80 ish miles. Nearly ran car out of juice charged to max at home with one of those free wall pod things and dashboard read out showed hundred miles why, after eighteen or so thousand miles it should decrease. Maybe its improving with age ??

S Ford

·
BMW i3 Rex
216 Posts
Most likely the car was able to recalibrate its estimate of the battery capacity when you fully cycled it. Only when nearly empty or nearly full doe the battery voltage change enough to get a good evaluation of its state.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,661 Posts
Could it be that the 'new'range displayed is worked out on the average use over the last 'umpteen' miles? So if you have been driving canny style and not used much power for say the last 10 - 15 miles then the range will be calculated on that power use per mile and conversely if you have been gunning it and using more power per mile then the range will be reduced?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50 2020, Volkswagen ID.3
404 Posts
h8ten is correct, the range remaining figure displayed in the C-Zero/Ion/IMiEV is an extrapolation of how far you could drive if you drove exactly the way you did for the previous 15 miles. Did you drive more slowly to the charger you used than you would normally?

Reactions: Paul

·
Banned
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the above advice, just to be clear display showed broken line no miles left didn't go into tortoise mode and the remaining ten miles from Felixstowe to central Ipswich driven very cautiously. I think all the advice above applies but have never had a reading so high, only a few occasions run batteries down to this level and fully charged wondered withsuch a high reading shows batteries in a good state??

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't think you can infer the condition of the batteries from the range remaining meter - but it would certainly seem that your skill at driving very cautiously has influenced the range remaining figure you saw after recharging. If you are after more detail on the state of charge of your battery pack, power usage, battery temperatures etc., there is an Android app that can interface with a bluetooth adapter you plug into your car that can give a variety of readouts. It's called Canion, is written for the C-Zero/Ion/IMiEV cars, and there are more details here:

http://myimiev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1762

·
Banned
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Misterbleepy an unknown concerning battery health. Cautious driving?, school runs, weekend outings,wife commuting lecturer so doesn't attend very often. I think range has increased because of the weather, its got hotter. Instantly it increased range seriously, as a comparison most people drive Leafs is there a similarity

Thank you for further info much appreciated.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I agree that the current warmer weather seems to have increased range. Although I never check the range remaining display, I do notice that I have more 'boxes' left now it's warm than when it has been colder on the same trip.

·
Banned
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe irrelevant, the leaf is 400 kg heavier than i miev. Wife has been complaining needing five seats, my piont, needed ounce over last two months. If driven around town which car with 400 kg extra goes further, on the whole for most people short commutes town driving is the Leaf rather piontless.

·
Banned
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Driven Leaf on test drive, very good felt like a real car is there a downside, maybe for town driving do we need this level of comfort. number of years accommodated barge like proportions of citroen xm for school runs, complete pain big far to much effort plus noise of diesel.

member mentioned driving at 70-80 mph difficulties range of Leaf. Buy a diesel Honda

·
Super Moderator
7,559 Posts
Driven Leaf on test drive, very good felt like a real car is there a downside, maybe for town driving do we need this level of comfort.
No one NEEDS a car at all, but I'm fortunate enough to be able to drive a Leaf. It is quite comfy and I like that.

member mentioned driving at 70-80 mph difficulties range of Leaf. Buy a diesel Honda
Erm, you're aware you're posting on speakEV, right...?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts