Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Looks like a great piece of kit. I need something like this but as a temporary device for using out of the front bedroom of a self catering rental property I have booked for a week in August.

the property is a terraced two storey house with on street parking only. There is a pavement immediately in front of the house which is about 2.5M wide. If I run granny cable from the front bedroom window over the roof of car to charge socket on far side of car I think it would ‘bridge‘ the pavement but would not quite provide enough headroom for pedestrians without a supporting device similar to that which you are offering. I only need this for overnight charging on two or three occasions.

Does anyone have any creative ideas on how to solve this problem? What could I use as an ‘arm’ to help bride the cable over the pavement?

·
Registered
21 Posts

Does anyone have any creative ideas on how to solve this problem? What could I use as an ‘arm’ to help bride the cable over the pavement?
My creative advice is not to try this as it will be an enormous hassle if someone trips over or gets throttled by your charging cable. Can you find a nearby rapid charger you can use instead? I’ve had a couple of holidays in a Leaf 30 where there was no possibility of charging overnight at the accommodation, but there were nearby rapids I could use and that wasn’t any massive inconvenience, as long as you remember to charge on the way back to your accommodation afer a day out.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 SR+
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
out of household items, I'll suggest :
Two fold ladders connected by a broom.

But it can fall over with wind...
Perhaps your best option is to use a cable channel on the floor :
cable channel floor at DuckDuckGo

·
Registered
85 Posts
My creative advice is not to try this as it will be an enormous hassle if someone trips over or gets throttled by your charging cable. Can you find a nearby rapid charger you can use instead? I’ve had a couple of holidays in a Leaf 30 where there was no possibility of charging overnight at the accommodation, but there were nearby rapids I could use and that wasn’t any massive inconvenience, as long as you remember to charge on the way back to your accommodation afer a day out.
I'm planning on travelling from the Midlands, spending a week staying in Beddgelert, touring/walking in Snowdonia area. I'll then return to the midlands. My BEV has a range of about 170 miles. The nearest (single) rapid charger is in Caernarfon at the Morrisons. This is about a 25 minute drive from the self catering property that I intend to stay in. If the trip goes ahead it will be the first holiday I've taken in a BEV so I'm anxious about getting caught short of charge if I don't charge overnight at the property.

If you know of rapid chargers near Beddgelert or advice on which chargers to use on the journey to/from beddgelert then please let me know. All advice gratefully received! Thanks

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I'm wondering if the end support of the cable has too small a radius and will causing premature failure: it supports the heavy cable drop over a very small area.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,158 Posts
I'm planning on travelling from the Midlands, spending a week staying in Beddgelert, touring/walking in Snowdonia area. I'll then return to the midlands. My BEV has a range of about 170 miles. The nearest (single) rapid charger is in Caernarfon at the Morrisons. This is about a 25 minute drive from the self catering property that I intend to stay in. If the trip goes ahead it will be the first holiday I've taken in a BEV so I'm anxious about getting caught short of charge if I don't charge overnight at the property.

If you know of rapid chargers near Beddgelert or advice on which chargers to use on the journey to/from beddgelert then please let me know. All advice gratefully received! Thanks
Your best bet would be to take the A55 to Bangor (Rapids at Ewloe, "Singing Kettle", St Asaph, Bodelwyddan, & Bangor), then the A487 to Caernarfon before dropping down to Beddgelert.
The most likely alternative route would be along the old A5, but the only rapids along that route are at Oswestry & Betws-y-Coed.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Back to the topic

I achieved the same effect by buying a pair of 36" barn door hinges. Works great although overkill for a cable.

Why a pair of hinges? Two cars, so I thought I was being clever. Except the seller on eBay sent four hinges thinking that I was hanging a pair of doors. I'm still trying to find a use for the other two as they were too heavy to be worth posting back. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 SR+
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good news! There's a new version with improved price !
I'm wondering if the end support of the cable has too small a radius
Hello Freddym,
Good catch, that is definitely a possibility, I'll try to modify the end to improve contact, perhaps by giving the helix a downwards angle ?

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
504 Posts

Surely using zap map, plugshare or ABRP etc would answer such questions, showing alternatives.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Strikes me a possible design for kerb charging would be a vertical rod that physically attaches to the car (door handle, window?) with rubber protectors and a stand to lock it vertically. The vertical rod has a horizontal part to carry the cable over pedestrians. I am assuming a "normal" pavement width is all that is needed for the horizontal section since from that point the cable can drop inside the property across the garden and into the owner's home.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,139 Posts
Strikes me a possible design for kerb charging would be a vertical rod that physically attaches to the car (door handle, window?) with rubber protectors and a stand to lock it vertically. The vertical rod has a horizontal part to carry the cable over pedestrians. I am assuming a "normal" pavement width is all that is needed for the horizontal section since from that point the cable can drop inside the property across the garden and into the owner's home.
Or maybe a folding frame attached to roof bars would be easier to use and store.

It might whistle at high speed though.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
If you know of rapid chargers near Beddgelert or advice on which chargers to use on the journey to/from beddgelert then please let me know. All advice gratefully received!
As Wonko says, there is a Polar Rapid in Betws-y-Coed at The Royal Oak Hotel. That is a small detour off the A5 but is basically en-route from the Midlands if avoiding the much longer route north to take in the rapids along the A55 route. But usually in a sleepy town like Beddgelert you can get away with an extension cable across a pavement overnight if it has a trip prevention cover and is put in place after the natives are all in bed by 8 pm. All depends on the parking situation at the self catering place though.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Or maybe a folding frame attached to roof bars would be easier to use and store.

It might whistle at high speed though.
My guess is this kind of device should normally be a solution designed for home use only. A grab onto the roof rack sounds a neat addition though.

Depending on design robustness I assume it might be more suitable for a cul de sac with fewer pedestrians.

For higher footfall streets entirely ground based solutions would seem to be more robust, including anti vandal proof.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Two problems with this: (a) Snowdonia is in Wales which has different rules from England and (b) it's cold there in winter which is my guess when you'll be allowed to travel (and stay) there.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
When such enjoyment events are again available I will use my normal method of asking potential hotel/guesthouses/B&B/self catering establishments if they have electric car charging facilities available for me to use. Even if they have no dedicated charger many will offer the use of a 13 amp socket and confirm that a suitable parking place can be provided within reach. If they refuse or are unable to offer that after a chat I suggest that they should reconsider that stance as over time they will lose a lot of potential business as EVs grow in use. Such as my own, as I tell them that I will now look elsewhere. Eventually, such charging points for guests will be as normal as all other basic facilities. But only if we all have discussions like that when making reservations.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had spotted on ZapMap that there was a rapid charger at the Royal Oak hotel. It would be much better than the very long detour on the A55 etc. I would be more than happy to stop there for some lunch and recharge but as this is the only rapid charger in Snowdonia I'm guessing that it may be occupied.

I like the idea of a pedestrian cable cover if I am forced to recharge kerbside. . . . . . although I like the idea of a roof or car window mounted arm. Perhaps that is the next idea for the entrepreneurs/inventors amongst us

1 - 20 of 22 Posts