Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,
I feel an idiot asking all these questions, but I'm a little confused about the cables.

I picked up my Peugeot iOn last week, as a new car if came with a type 1 charging cable with a 3 pin plug at the end and a clumsy unit attached too. I'd had a Rolex wall pod installed 32amp with a type 2 socket, so of course this wouldn't fit.

The garage kindly gave me an old type 2 charger they'd got from Peugeot and this works, however it's got an enormous lead on it and is hefty to keep moving around and takes up a lot of room on the drive.

I'll be charging at home 90% of the time, so thought as it'll get a lot of use, It'll be worth my while investing in a new coiled charger, with the shortest possible lead, but I have 2 questions.

Do I need the 16v or 32v
Will the introduction of the type 3 chargers affect things much in the future, eg. is it silly to buy a new type 2!
I would also like clarification that The 32amp wall pod is ok for the iOn
Thank u so much and sorry if they're. Silly questions.
Gill

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,574 Posts
@Gill O welcome and great ev choice. The ion only charges at 16 amps (we only got a 16amp charger installed) some consider the 32amp units for future cars they may get. Choice is yours.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your reply Mark, I've already had the rolec wallpod fitted, a 32amp version, I rang the garage and asked if that would be ok, and they said yes, so I went ahead and got it. I hope that wasn't a silly move.
I'm sorry if this is an obvious question, I don't really understand amps and volts! but if I buy/use a 16v cable with this 32amp wallpod will that be ok? I'm hoping that the 32amp just means the wallpod has a higher capacity, but will be safe to use on the ion, (which I love, by the way!) with a 16v cable.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Thank you for your reply Mark, I've already had the rolec wallpod fitted, a 32amp version, I rang the garage and asked if that would be ok, and they said yes, so I went ahead and got it. I hope that wasn't a silly move.
I'm sorry if this is an obvious question, I don't really understand amps and volts! but if I buy/use a 16v cable with this 32amp wallpod will that be ok? I'm hoping that the 32amp just means the wallpod has a higher capacity, but will be safe to use on the ion, (which I love, by the way!) with a 16v cable.
Charger/Cable are both rated in amps. So 32 amp wallpod works with 16 amp charger at 16 amps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, superb. I might go and retake the science exams I failed at school now I understand voltage!
I'll have a look at the coiled 16v chargers.
Gill

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Various Charging
13amp 3 pin plug in lead actually only charges at 10amps. About 8 miles or 2 kw per hour.
16amp charger about 10/12 miles or 3 kw per hour.
Rapid Charging is up to 50kw will get you to 80 odd per cent (12/13 kws) in 20 minutes in an ion.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Just to confuse things further 16amp chargers also known as 3.3kw chargers because of the amount of kws they deliver roughly in one hour.
32 amp known as 7 kw chargers.
Stopping there as brain hurts.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Despite the use of the terms, they are not chargers. They are just simply a mains power outlet. Charge point/outlet would be a better term.
The charge outlet isnt live until it has been connected, to and communicated with a vehicle. The outlet lets the vehicle know how much current it can pass, and the car then responds by taking the appropriate current. So if the car takes 16 amp it will work with 16 or 32amps. If the Car can only charge at 32amp (Unlikely) and is plugged into a 16 amp socket, the charge wont start. If the charger built into the car can change its charge current, then it will match the socket it is plugged into.
Because of the higher current the 32amp lead will be heavier (A longer lead may also be heavier to limit voltage drop). A coiled lead can put extra strain on the car and charge outlet connector if the cable is hanging between the two, a cable trailing on the ground is self supporting so puts less strain on the connectors..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Despite the use of the terms, they are not chargers. They are just simply a mains power outlet. Charge point/outlet would be a better term.
The charge outlet isnt live until it has been connected, to and communicated with a vehicle. The outlet lets the vehicle know how much current it can pass, and the car then responds by taking the appropriate current. So if the car takes 16 amp it will work with 16 or 32amps. If the Car can only charge at 32amp (Unlikely) and is plugged into a 16 amp socket, the charge wont start. If the charger built into the car can change its charge current, then it will match the socket it is plugged into.
Because of the higher current the 32amp lead will be heavier (A longer lead may also be heavier to limit voltage drop). A coiled lead can put extra strain on the car and charge outlet connector if the cable is hanging between the two, a cable trailing on the ground is self supporting so puts less strain on the connectors..
Thank you! Great help. I've just bought the 5m coiled so should be fine!

·
Registered
331 Posts
The garage kindly gave me an old type 2 charger they'd got from Peugeot and this works, however it's got an enormous lead on it and is hefty to keep moving around and takes up a lot of room on the drive.
Works how? It doesn't sound like anything that can be run safely off off a 13 amp socket. Keep the coiled lead in the car as for possible use away from home. Have you got any cards yet for using commercial chargers?

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,958 Posts
Sorry to sound a bit thick, but I can;t get an answer from Peugeot themselves. I've got a Zoe at the moment and the PCP has got about a year to run. At the end of PCP I would like to take advantage of the rapid charge capability of the Ion/iMiev/Zero. As I have a miniscule (3 miles) commute I would only occasionally need to rapid charge and it doesn't warrant me paying out Leaf/Zoe/i3 prices.

Want I want to know is will the Ion & co. be compatible with my 32 amp type 2 wall charger? Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
The type 2 is not a rapid charger. Its not a charger. Its a power outlet. Being 32amp means it can pass up to 32 amps to any vehicle that can use it. Or happily feed a smaller power charger (which is built into your car). All you would need is a type 2 to type 1 connection cable and all will be fine. If however your 32a point is a tethered lead you cant use it even with an adaptor cable.
If the Miev etc has a Chademo (Often called a fast charge socket) socket, it requires a Chademo power supply/ charge unit. It is a charge unit, as it flows very high current DC at a high voltage straight into your battery. Your household power outlet cannot use this socket (The plug on the cable to the car alone on chademo is around £1k each)

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
3,958 Posts
Thanks for the lecture. Knew most of that already. Can anyone please answer the question I asked. Can a (brand new) Ion usw be used with a type 2 wall socket?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
If you read it, you would see the answer. I made the points because it appeared that there is a lot of confusion about what the charge points are, and what a fast charge point / inlet is and isnt. Only trying to help not only you but others who also dont understand.
The simple answer is that a 32a type 2 wall outlet could have a type 2 to type 1 cable plugged into it and would provide mains for the Ion to charge.
But it wont work if you have a tethered type 2.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts