Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My charging cable locked in to a destination charger last night. Telephone advice from CYC was to lock the car doors, the cable immediately unlocked!

How does that work?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,330 Posts
Haven't a clue. A couple of times my cable has been stuck, one was early on in my charging experience and I unplugged the car first, CYC was able to remotely unlock the cable, the second time required an engineer visit to release the cable. What car do you have?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,330 Posts
Unless CYC has instructions from Kia (unlikely) or you were lucky and the operator had dealt with a similar issue already (more likely). It is maybe that when you unlock the car a signal is sent to the ChargePoint to be ready to release the cable as you are likely to be wanting to drive away, so the operator wanted to try sending the signal again.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did all the plug wiggling stuff without effect before phoning.

It is maybe that when you unlock the car a signal is sent to the ChargePoint to be ready to release the cable as you are likely to be wanting to drive away, so the operator wanted to try sending the signal again.
No, the car was unlocked but released immediately upon locking!

·
Registered
980 Posts
I sometimes wonder if it worth cutting off the small plastic tab that locks the cable in.

I guess what is more likely statistically? The scrote trying to nick your cable vs chargers not unlocking properly.

I would not touch the car side of the cable as that minimises cable theft even if they can unplug from the unit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The following old thread has a good description on how to modify your cable. I did this some time ago

Anti-locking a type 2 cable

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
In 5 years, I have had a cable locked into a public charger twice. In each case, it was the result of a bent locking pin in the charging post. Unlike most public chargers, I used one last summer (a Rolec) that had a clearly printed label on it which outlined the cable plugging in/out sequence which was 'car first then charger'. I suspect that it doesn't really matter when plugging in, as the locking solenoid will only operate when the plug is inserted into the charging point and current flows. The problem is that many people arrive at the car and try to remove the charging point plug when the solenoid is still active which slightly bends the malleable soft metal pin. Over time, the pin gets increasingly bent and some poor EV owner who uses the correct disconnect sequence 'car first then charger' gets stuck as the bent pin doesn't withdraw properly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We had 3 of our 4 charging ports out of action at work, I went to move my car at the 5 hour limit and couldn't release the cable - long story short I started charging with an RFID card in the same holder as my work pass (also RFID) couldn't get it to unlock using the charging card, after a lut of dicking about, tried one last time, this time with the two cards in the holder and it unlocked immediately.

As an aside, I was very dissapointed when I checked my sentry mode recordings, 3 other EV users all occupied the other bays within an hour of me being there, every person tried to forcibly remove my cable so they could plug in, to make things worse all hybrids, whereas my model 3 needs to do a 150mile round trip of the charge.

·
Registered
80 Posts
We had 3 of our 4 charging ports out of action at work, I went to move my car at the 5 hour limit and couldn't release the cable - long story short I started charging with an RFID card in the same holder as my work pass (also RFID) couldn't get it to unlock using the charging card, after a lut of dicking about, tried one last time, this time with the two cards in the holder and it unlocked immediately.

As an aside, I was very dissapointed when I checked my sentry mode recordings, 3 other EV users all occupied the other bays within an hour of me being there, every person tried to forcibly remove my cable so they could plug in, to make things worse all hybrids, whereas my model 3 needs to do a 150mile round trip of the charge.
im glad i got front and rear camera on my car and i get noticed of any events like this.
i cant wait to get my EV, but hearing about the above problems puts me on edge a weee bit

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,330 Posts

It may have registered the charge to your other card, if the connection with the server is lost then on some chargers any type of RFID card can be used to start the charge but this same one must be used to cancel the charge and so release the cable.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
As an aside, I was very dissapointed when I checked my sentry mode recordings, 3 other EV users all occupied the other bays within an hour of me being there, every person tried to forcibly remove my cable so they could plug in, to make things worse all hybrids, whereas my model 3
This "me first" entitled attitude will only get worse over the next few years as people using charge points change from typically being EV enthusiasts to being PHEV sufferers who believe that they are entitled to recharge their depleted battery whereas the EV must have sufficient capacity to not need the extra charge.

·
Registered
402 Posts
On untethered posts, the cable must be locked on both sides, the car and the charging post, the car is the master and the post is the slave. The reasons is that there should be no electricity flowing until a) the car said it's ready to receive and b) the cable is securely attached.

It has little to do with stealing property or ill intent and more to do with safety, making sure you don't get a 400V haircut and the standard is to not allow the cable to be released from the post until it has been released from the car. I have seen posts that release the cable before the car has released it, but that's not standard compliant.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
On untethered posts, the cable must be locked on both sides, the car and the charging post, the car is the master and the post is the slave. The reasons is that there should be no electricity flowing until a) the car said it's ready to receive and b) the cable is securely attached.

It has little to do with stealing property or ill intent and more to do with safety, making sure you don't get a 400V haircut and the standard is to not allow the cable to be released from the post until it has been released from the car. I have seen posts that release the cable before the car has released it, but that's not standard compliant.
On untethered posts, it would be normal mains voltage, not 400V - but still not to be trifled with of course. :)

·
Premium Member
10,680 Posts
On untethered posts, it would be normal mains voltage, not 400V - but still not to be trifled with of course. :)
22kW posts are 3 phase so 440V max. An increasing number of them now too - which is nice for Zoe owners. (y)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts