Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So BMW are now offering to change the charging cable due to overheating problems on the cable if it is not properly inserted in the socket.
This will be done mid 2020 so all be aware when using it.
MODE 2 Charge cable usage. advisory notice.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It says you can get a warning label from BMW dealerships if other people other than the owner use the cable who may not be aware of the problem. Or they will fit the warning label when it gets a service in the meantime.
Only got the notification today at noon 07/02/20

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Aah - the sun rises. BMW is talking about the 13amp Delphi charger not the public charging cable.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
The key messages appear to be:

‘ it is vital to ensure that the cable is not plugged into any extension leads or socket adapters

if... fully inserted into the power outlet socket there will be no problem....... with overheating.’

Yet, this site is littered with recommendations for extension leads and timers (such as Tp Link Kasa).

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yes, the problem is that the 13 amp plug is oversized and some outdoor sockets may have shrouding that would prevent the plug being fully inserted. In fact, when I bought my extension lead I arranged to have a waterproof socket which would properly house the large plug. Of course, BMW tell you not to use an extension lead. There is no technical reason for this except for the possible safety risk.

·
Registered
293 Posts
On a positive note at least they have found an efficient way of notifying me. But I had concluded this was an issue and invested in a couple of Tough Leads extensions , one 15 meters the other 0.5 meter for home use to address this issue with my IP65 socket. Also use these when cutting the hedge 13A weatherproof extension lead (compatible with all EVs)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
There is a real irony here. When my i3 was recalled in Mar 19 for an EME Module change, I heard absolutely nothing at all from BMW even though it was a DVLA notifiable recall. All I got was a call from my Dealer to tell me that they had seen something on their system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts