Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Might seem trivial but I am curious what I can do so I don’t scratch my car while attempting to connect or disconnect the charging cable?

if the cable drags across the paint it will cause surface scratches. I was thinking some kind of wrap like a pool noodle material (something soft) but curious what others do.

thank you.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,413 Posts
Depends on the car and what you are plugging into. You could try a coiled lead, this will stretch outwards, especially if you have a side mounted socket and a wall to plug into that you're parking parallel to.

If it is in a garage, you could tie elasticated cord to the 'right point' on your lead (you'd have to figure out your own geometry for that) and the other end to a rafter or hook, this will keep it lifted. I've rigged up a pair of 'sequential' stretchy cords, like gaffer rigging for lighting in big arenas do, so the cord can simply be extended sideways, retractably, and keeps it off the floor.

·
Registered
16,769 Posts
mine is maybe too long because I have to be careful not to let it lay against the paint by the wheel well.

View attachment 127904 View attachment 127904
Sounds like you might have a single phase cable which is thinner, hence more flexible. What car is this?

You could get a small piece of 3M clear protection film and apply it below the charge port to protect it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depends on the car and what you are plugging into. You could try a coiled lead, this will stretch outwards, especially if you have a side mounted socket and a wall to plug into that you're parking parallel to.

If it is in a garage, you could tie elasticated cord to the 'right point' on your lead (you'd have to figure out your own geometry for that) and the other end to a rafter or hook, this will keep it lifted. I've rigged up a pair of 'sequential' stretchy cords, like gaffer rigging for lighting in big arenas do, so the cord can simply be extended sideways, retractably, and keeps it off the floor.
that is a lot of good advice. Thank you

·
Registered
57 Posts
Helicopter Tape - get a patch of that and put it over the area that's getting scratched. Easy to remove if you need to.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I dropped my charging cable from 10cm onto my GTE, by mistake. Gulp. But it didn't damage the paint.

I suspect that the average "clear-coat" covering that most cars have is sufficient to protect against minor plastic abrasion.

·
Registered
746 Posts
The other day I saw a brand new car with its charging cable across the bonnet, sigh. No need for this, just park with socket to the charger side.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My built-in vacuum cleaner system (in the house rather than car of course) offered a 30' long felt 'sock' to slide over the cleaning pipe. Possibly worth looking for one of them ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts