Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating purchasing a new electric car and am trying to figure out if I'm able to stretch the charging cable from the side of my house to the car park next to my house.

I live in an end terrace and there's a very small car park (8 spaces) next to my house, where my current car is parked. Is it doable to charge my car overnight at this car park? Would the charging cable stretch? Would it be a safety hazard to others? It's only about 10-15 feet, if that. The cable could go over the ground to let other cars past. No? Do they stretch that far? What I'm saying is I don't have my own drive or a garage that I'd normally have a charging cable installed at.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Have you checked out Zap Map for public charging options in your area? That may be simpler and perfectly possible if you pick the right car for your needs and don't drive huge miles.

You can definitely get long cables so the distance isn't a huge worry, but because you don't have your own driveway or garage you wouldn't qualify for the grant for a home chargepoint. This would be entirely at your own expense. You would also have to get something like a cable cover to avoid the tip hazard, but this again depends upon where you live. Some councils are totally fine with it, others will complain. This is why I suggest public charging may be the better option depending upon where you are located.

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
177 Posts
I'm contemplating purchasing a new electric car and am trying to figure out if I'm able to stretch the charging cable from the side of my house to the car park next to my house.

I live in an end terrace and there's a very small car park (8 spaces) next to my house, where my current car is parked. Is it doable to charge my car overnight at this car park? Would the charging cable stretch? Would it be a safety hazard to others? It's only about 10-15 feet, if that. The cable could go over the ground to let other cars past. No? Do they stretch that far? What I'm saying is I don't have my own drive or a garage that I'd normally have a charging cable installed at.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?
Local councils differ in their views to trailing cables over pavements etc. (even with cable protectors) so best to check their views first. The length you describe shouldn't be a problem.
It is possible to own an an EV and just use the public charging network. Check out Zap map to see what chargers you have in your local area. I'm in central London with no home charger but have more than a dozen chargers within a 5 minute walk so it is possible to drive EVs with no home charging. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked out Zap Map for public charging options in your area? That may be simpler and perfectly possible if you pick the right car for your needs and don't drive huge miles.

You can definitely get long cables so the distance isn't a huge worry, but because you don't have your own driveway or garage you wouldn't qualify for the grant for a home chargepoint. This would be entirely at your own expense. You would also have to get something like a cable cover to avoid the tip hazard, but this again depends upon where you live. Some councils are totally fine with it, others will complain. This is why I suggest public charging may be the better option depending upon where you are located.
Brill. Thanks for replying. What is this grant and how much is it? There's a £2,500 UK plug-in car grant I'd be legible for if I were to purchase the car I'm on about, but you're saying there's another one to pay for the house installation? If it's about £500 or so, I'd still be saving thousands over 3-4 years, so paying for a point myself, isn't a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Local councils differ in their views to trailing cables over pavements etc. (even with cable protectors) so best to check their views first. The length you describe shouldn't be a problem.
It is possible to own an an EV and just use the public charging network. Check out Zap map to see what chargers you have in your local area. I'm in central London with no home charger but have more than a dozen chargers within a 5 minute walk so it is possible to drive EVs with no home charging. Good luck.
So, do you think I should contact the local council about this then? It's difficult to describe, but the car park is a small suburban car park that's pretty enclosed with no pedestrians or anything and just other neighbours that use it.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Who owns the car park? If its private then the council (roads dept) have no say its the owner who may be a problem, if its the council then they may cause trouble.
Will the cable cross a pavement or do you park by the house wall? these things may come into play.
If other cars have to drive over the cable then you need a protector whatever, the cables are not really designed to be driven over!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Brill. Thanks for replying. What is this grant and how much is it? There's a £2,500 UK plug-in car grant I'd be legible for if I were to purchase the car I'm on about, but you're saying there's another one to pay for the house installation? If it's about £500 or so, I'd still be saving thousands over 3-4 years, so paying for a point myself, isn't a problem.
That's correct. There's a plug in car grant that you would qualify for regardless of your home charging situation. But there is a second OLEV homecharge grant that will help fund the installation of a home charger. I believe it recently dropped from £500 to £350. This is something you wouldn't qualify for without having your own dedicated and attached parking bay.

If you definitely don't want to go down the route of public or potentially workplace charging, then it's probably worth getting onto the council and asking. If you say it's difficult to describe maybe send an email with a few pictures. Maybe a photo from yourself, and an aerial shot from Google Earth with a few annotations and markings perhaps? Most seem fine as long as you are sensible and take precautions to avoid any trip hazards like the use of a cable cover and a sign. But every now and then you will hear some horror story about a local authority who was completely against it and caused no end of trouble for the person who wanted to charge at home.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,700 Posts
The basic rule is that to be eligible for the charging point grant you need to be able to park your car on your own land. If you need the charging cable to go across land that is owned by others it raises all kinds of issues such as permissions and trip hazards.

Some people just get on with it without asking anyone and see if it raises any issues. And usually, if a properly constructed cover is provided, the footfall is low and is only in place overnight then it can work for a long time. But probably not worth paying for an expensive wall charger in case it does create a problem. Best to test the waters using the granny charger first.

Obviously, if this is challenged by anyone an alternative charging method will have to be found. But in general, if you ask first then the default answer will probably be 'NO' and then you are really stuffed.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Can you conceivably install a boom arm on the end wall of your home? for example:

This might provide a way to loft the cable over an adjacent walkway to the car parking spaces.

·
Registered
ID.4 1st edition (previously Mitsubishi outlander PHEV)
494 Posts
What Hitstirrer said... but also consider councils have grants themselves and if the car park is their land you could ask them to put charge points in the car park.
(its more expensive to use but you dont have any capital outlay)

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
842 Posts
It's difficult to picture it. If you can upload a photo or Google Satellite view (without revealing your address, if you prefer!) it might be easier to advise.

Trailing a cable over a pavement to a car directly outside your house (with suitable cable protector/ trip preventer) is getting quite common and a lot of councils are permitting it. But it sounds like yours might be longer and more complex. Photos will help.

Can you always rely on the same parking spot, or is it a free for all?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everyone seems to use their own same spot, but I'm sure if I could speak to my neigbours, they could let me use a certain space closer to the house (further left than right in the picture.) Thanks for all the help here btw.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
842 Posts
Is that a disabled bay in the corner?

If it were me, I'd speak to the person who uses that and the bay next to it, and ask if they're OK with you parking directly alongside your wall. They still should be able to get in and out if you park carefully, and you can just drop a cable over the wall as and when necessary. Fine if it's once or twice a week, might be a nuisance if it's every day.

Personally I wouldn't be comfortable putting a cable across where you've drawn the line - even with a cable protector - but others might think differently.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I would not advise on what you propose.

Either:
As the above said, park next to your home and charge... (after agreement with your neighbours).

Or:
Get a quote to mole across the car park and have an EVCP installed in your space. This is dependant on who owns the car park and utilities in the area... will obviously be the most expensive option

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,974 Posts
Generally this isn't a practical solution unless the cable can run right up against a wall or you're only running it to and over a wall and not over a footpath/road/etc.

Pictures would really help us to understand what you mean!

The point about public or private land is important to.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
743 Posts
You could also alter your back garden so that you had gates and 2 strips of hard standing for the wheels to run on that allow you to pull your car into the garden when you need to charge it.

Done correctly you could achieve this with very minimal impact on the garden itself, the alterations could be invisible, you could even use something like this if you wanted to keep your grass:

nobody could have a problem then, it’s your land / access and if you ever sell your property you could even advertise that is has an off road parking facility!

just a thought. 😉

·
Registered
146 Posts
You could also alter your back garden so that you had gates and 2 strips of hard standing for the wheels to run on that allow you to pull your car into the garden when you need to charge it.

Done correctly you could achieve this with very minimal impact on the garden itself, the alterations could be invisible, you could even use something like this if you wanted to keep your grass:

nobody could have a problem then, it’s your land / access and if you ever sell your property you could even advertise that is has an off road parking facility!

just a thought. 😉
Great shout 👏

1 - 20 of 28 Posts