Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit concerned about leaving a charging lead trailing across my drive as I wonder if it could be a trip hazard. Imagine a dark morning and the postman or milkman etc crosses the drive, doesn't see the cable ant trips over it. ...... Could end up in a court case maybe?

Wondering if something like these rubber cable covers would be advisable. Anyone used them?

image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
If you are worried on your property then what will you do when charging on a public charge station? I have not seen anyone do anything special to avoid trip hazards.

I have sometimes wondered just what would happen if someone did trip when charging in a public space. I am not worried on my property though. :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
It is very strongly recommended not to run any cables across any public right of way. If you don't have off-street parking or private parking and you run a live cable across a public right of way and if anyone did trip, or even worse, electrocute themselves, you would have very little by way of a defense and any insurance you have might consider it negligence and question any claim.

It is a real issue for people that don't have off-street parking I know but running cables across roads or pavements is definitely not the answer.

There is a world of difference running a cable while you cut grass or vacuum the car to leaving a cable unattended while it charges.

I don't know of anyone in the EV world that would condone this... sorry.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,434 Posts
I bought this cable spiral wrap total of less than £8 mainly to protect the cable when it is lying on the ground and the car is charging. It was tighter than I expected to spiral around the cable and has to be held at each end with a small cable tie. It gives it a yellow/black appearance so a bit easier to see on the ground.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Read this on the green car website.

The idea of having a power cable strung between a vehicle and a charging post is crazy. A terrible trip hazard!! How have the politicians and designers missed this?
A lady in Maida Vale died last year when she tripped over one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've got one of the strips in the first post for my driveway where the cable crosses from the side of the house, past the doorsteps, to the car. There's a small section where the postie could trip if he cuts straight over the short wall between my drive and our neighbour's drive. The strip is fine, although the channel is not quite tall enough to accommodate the cable - it bulges out a bit, but makes a trip much less likely then stepping on a round cable.
There's a difference between charging in your driveway and at a public post - on a public post you're probably going to park nose-in to the post, so there's pretty much no chance of anyone being able to trip over the cable (the post will either be against a wall or you can kick the excess cable under the car). In your driveway, you've potentially got postman, family, friends, milkman, couriers, and so on to think about, and you have an obligation to ensure your property is safe for visitors - a cable strung across the drive or footpath would be a trip hazard, and you could be liable (Occupiers Liability Act). However, if you try to mitigate the risk or provide some form of warning, then you should be ok. It may well be that a brightly-coloured charging cable could be warning enough, but a cable cover like these isn't going to do any harm either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts