Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 3 year old Nissan Leaf and i have a charging cable for Type 1 to Type 2. Which is great. But before i get a charger installed at home, I am using CHADEMO charging.

Now if i was to go to a Tethered Type 2 Street Charger, would i be able to use my existing type 1 to 2 Cable as an adapter?

Please let me know if im not thinking straight?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Not sure what you mean by " Now if I was to go to a Tethered Type 2 Street Charger ".

There are no 'street' chargers with a tethered cable. They all just have a type 2 socket and you have to arrive with a type 2 to type 1 cable for use in an early Leaf.

If you intend to install a home charger I would recommend fitting a socketed version so that your type 2 to type 1 cable can be used there just like it would at a street charger.

This is because that type 1 system has been discontinued and your next car would need a type 2 to type 2 cable - to be still used from your home socketed type 2 outlet.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
By a 3yr old you possibly mean a 30kw :)
you would have a type 1 - type 2 cable. that's the one you use for the fast (7kw) charging points.
The type 2 tethered charging points won't work on your cable. You will need the stations with the type 2 socket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok this is similar to the station that i used on Monday night for CHADEMO. It has a type 2 tethered connector too.

Is this not a street Charger .... it was on a London side street.

So I need to find a station no tethered with a type 2 socket?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
On that station you can only use the ChaDemo plug on a 30kw Leaf
The type 2 will work on the 40kw and above Leaf and cars that will use the CCS plug. This is useful if the DC ChaDemo plug is in use, then the type 2 AC can be used simultaneously with the DC

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
So I need to find a station no tethered with a type 2 socket?
That will be a type 2 plug intended for use on cars like the Zoe. Your own cable will not 'daisy chain' onto that plug and your type 1 car will not accept that tethered plug directly from that machine.

If you want to charge away from home your choice is either the Rapid Chademo or a street post fitted with a type 2 socket. In which case you need your type 2 to type 1 cable to connect the car. That post will probably be a 7Kw charger but your car will most likely only be able to take 3.3 Kw's from there. That's no problem - just quite slow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts