Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the Ampera will come with an EVSE (charging cable) that can charge at either 6A or 10A.

This is a great improvement on the cables supplied with other EVs in that a 6A charge means that charging using solar PV is more benefitial.

Also, it is a standard J1772 plug so can be used with all existing J1772 charge points such as teh Pod Point Home pod.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, great they've incorporated the 6A/10A switch. Very intelligent thinking.

Also, with a Mennekes-J1772 cable it can charge at 16A too.

·
Militant EV driver!
4,937 Posts
The press fleet cars had portable chargers with the ability to charge at 6/10/13/16 Amps. I guess that's why they have 4 LEDs.

I'd love to get one of those and put a blue 16A commando plug on it.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dpeilow said:
The press fleet cars had portable chargers with the ability to charge at 6/10/13/16 Amps. I guess that's why they have 4 LEDs.

I'd love to get one of those and put a blue 16A commando plug on it.
That would be awesome! I nearly bought an EVSE from a third party at £600 that had exactly those settings. I didn't get it because of the silly price but it would have meant I could charge at 6A directly from my solar PV, at 10A safely on a 13A socket at 13A/16A from a 16A supply such as at my caravan site where the caravan is stored.

This kind of makes sense too as there are 4 lights on the EVSE unit and 2 settings. The 4 lights make sense if some units have 4 settings. :idea:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts