Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I rent and therefore can’t get a charge in g pod installed but I do have a garage with a socket available although I’m not sure I can clear my garage enough for a car to get in! My question is for a 24kwh lLeaf what charging lead do I need to buy to plug it into the 3 plug socket in the garage and what do I need to buy to plug into the fast charge stations around town?
Newbie here so be kind! I’m trying to get my head around all the jargon!!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Granny charger has 3 pin socket on one side abs Type 2 on other.
Around towns you will find Type 2 destination chargers. You need Type 2 to type 1 cable.
You will also find Rapid chargers that use ChaDeMo. Rapid chargers have their own cables.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
@Hermit Dave is correct but has put a typo - the "granny" lead goes from a 13 amps three pin socket to a Type 1 at the other end. Note that this only charges at around 10 amps and can run into problems with the socket overheating.
If you buy a LEAF it should come with one of these chargers - they were standard kit.
At "Fast" chargers (so called 7 kW units) "around town" you need your own Type 2 (that goes in the socket on the unit) to Type 1 (the front of your LEAF) lead. These were originally extras, but nearly every car carries one.
Both leads are available secondhand on eBay for around £80 each so it isn't a deal breaker if the car comes without them, but accuse the vendor of being tight!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Hermit Dave is correct but has put a typo - the "granny" lead goes from a 13 amps three pin socket to a Type 1 at the other end. Note that this only charges at around 10 amps and can run into problems with the socket overheating.
If you buy a LEAF it should come with one of these chargers - they were standard kit.
At "Fast" chargers (so called 7 kW units) "around town" you need your own Type 2 (that goes in the socket on the unit) to Type 1 (the front of your LEAF) lead. These were originally extras, but nearly every car carries one.
Both leads are available secondhand on eBay for around £80 each so it isn't a deal breaker if the car comes without them, but accuse the vendor of being tight!
Thankyou! If he Granny charger isn't long enough to reach the socket in the garage can you get a special extension or is that unsafe? Much appreciate this advice from both of you!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
You are advised not to use an extension as a lot cannot take the current continuously. As long as you use one that is suitably rated it is fine.
Make sure that you check that the socket that you are going to use has clean contacts and is in good condition. If in any doubt get a sparky to check it. I appreciate that the house electrics will have been checked if it is rented but this is beyond normal usage and the person checking may have missed the one in the garage.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Thankyou! If he Granny charger isn't long enough to reach the socket in the garage can you get a special extension or is that unsafe? Much appreciate this advice from both of you!
You can get sparky to install a good thick 10A continuous long cable for you from the consumer unit

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
6,604 Posts
If the Granny charger isn't long enough to reach the socket in the garage can you get a special extension or is that unsafe?
Any heavy-duty extension cable will be fine as long as it's rated at 15 amps. It must be fully unrolled if its a drum type. And always check for heat build-up at the sockets/plugs connections after 15 minutes and then again after an hour. The 'granny' only draws 10 amps, but even at that rate normal 13 amp house systems were not designed to pull that power for many continuous hours so it's best to keep an eye on it the first time it's used. And if the join between the extension and granny is outside it's a good idea to protect it under a plastic box to keep the weather out.

As to safety, there are many who use such a system all the time without any problems. But many also recommend that an extension should never be used. ( Manufacturers specifically say this) The problems are all around heat build-up - especially at the house socket end. So that if you intend to use that system long term you should be constantly aware of that issue and keep checking because such problems get worse over time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so looks like I need to do a major clean out of the garage to make things practical on a daily basis. Thanks for advice, it'll be a weekend job! I'll ask my landlord to have a sparky check my garage plug too.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Check that the car will fit first - modern cars with big doors can be tight. Getting a decent high current extension lead with a waterproof socket might be more practical.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Check that the car will fit first - modern cars with big doors can be tight. Getting a decent high current extension lead with a waterproof socket might be more practical.
That's where I was going.

Pull a decent cable from consumer unit and plug it outside

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Some people leave the plug and "brick" part of the granny charger inside the door of the garage and run the cable under the door to the car. With a LEAF24 you can see that it is working from the lights on the top of the dashboard. I have heard of people using smartplugs to turn this on/off remotely but you'll need to obtain a high current version.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Some people leave the plug and "brick" part of the granny charger inside the door of the garage and run the cable under the door to the car. With a LEAF24 you can see that it is working from the lights on the top of the dashboard. I have heard of people using smartplugs to turn this on/off remotely but you'll need to obtain a high current version.
I did that until dedicated charger was installed. I used this. Never once did it warm up.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Also leaf has charge time so you vav set start and stop time.

I instead of using Alexa used app to set daily routine back then

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When looking online there are option of 16 or 32 amp?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
When looking online there are option of 16 or 32 amp?
You are talking about the Type 2 to Type 1 cables for Fast chargers. If your car is a 3.6 kW charger then there is no point in having a 32 Amp cable - they are much heavier and less flexible, and the chances are that your next car will have a Type 2 connector as the Type 1 is no longer current so you'll not be "future proofing" yourself by getting one.
If you have a 16 Amp cable and a 32 Amp charger the unit will control the current down to the lower value for safety.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts