Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be getting my car in a couple of weeks, in the meantime I need to get the electrics sorted. The garage is one of a group of garages with the infrastructure almost there (the box and plug is ready, but we need to get the electrics connected and registered). If I drive into the garage nose first, the plug will be at the end.

I was assuming I would drive the car in, plug it in, close the door and go... is this ok? I have to say that the electrical fire thread has worried me (I wasn’t sure whether to post on that thread or here).

What does everyone else do? The charging port has to be inside the garage. I’ve noticed some people leave the garage door open, but I don’t know the reasoning (I don't know them to feel I can just go and ask them).

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I’ve noticed some people leave the garage door open, but I don’t know the reasoning (I don't know them to feel I can just go and ask them).
Just put your "I'm a newbie" badge on and ask. Most people (though I've only known one Norwegian) are fine unless they are in a hurry.

That said I suspect the reasons will range from tin-foil hat logic to "Well, the cat's gone to sleep in there", so don't expect a lot :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
One advantage of having the charger inside the garage ( and only useable in the garage) is that the installation does not need to comply with the earth-rod requirements, as these only apply to outdoor usage.
If you're worried about fire, install an interconnected smoke alarm

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
You’ll be fine with a dedicated 7kw charger in your garage

·
Registered
844 Posts
I charged in my garage with the granny lead for three months before the charger was fitted in the garage. If using the granny lead just check that the plug/socket is not overheating, although if this a new installation there shouldn’t be any concerns.

My garage is attached to the house and is therefore part of the equipotential bonding zone and no earthing rod is enquired. Sounds as though this is a block of garages separate from the house. I am not sure of the regs but if fitting a charging unit this my need an earth rod? No matter because if it is a professional installation they will have done the necessary work.

No need to worry about shutting the garage door; our garage is locked at night and charging is in the early hours of the morning on the cheap tariff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It’s a proper installation - I think they even added a lightning rod when the garages were all made electric car ready. It’s just me having buyers worries!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Six years of charging in garage never thought much about it
Same, not six years but three and a bit. Using the "granny charger" connected to a normal wall socket that is wired directly to a 16A breaker.

A dedicated wallbox will be installed with proper wiring section and connected directly to a breaker, so no worries.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is what we have in the garage (see picture). As you can see, we need to get an electrician to actually connect the socket. I assume the lead that comes with the car goes straight into this blue socket (no other adaptations needed and the plug supplied will definitely fit ???)

The metal box is the back of what looks like a circuit breaker (that you get in your house and all the sockets in the garages are connected to this). It's access from the outside.

ps is there a thread anywhere or a place that I can ask stupid newbie questions on?

Thank you!
11C2C0FE-76A0-483F-8A67-B82C15B4B48E.jpeg

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I assume the lead that comes with the car goes straight into this blue socket (no other adaptations needed and the plug supplied will definitely fit ???)
That appears to be a 'commando' socket - possibly 16A given the situation.

You can't plug the car directly into that - you'll need a portable EVSE which is a box of electrical gubbins with a lead out each end. One end goes in the car, the other into that plug. (They come in different versions with different plugs for the supply end, but the same-ish for the car.)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That appears to be a 'commando' socket - possibly 16A given the situation.

You can't plug the car directly into that - you'll need a portable EVSE which is a box of electrical gubbins with a lead out each end. One end goes in the car, the other into that plug. (They come in different versions with different plugs for the supply end, but the same-ish for the car.)
Thank you for this!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
If you're charging regularly, you wanta tethered charge point ( has its own captive cable) rather than one with a socket, as using the car's cable is a faff - getting it it of the car each time, coiling/uncoiling etc.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Are those wires actually connected anywhere? It looks like rather a rough installation if they are.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Definitely a Commando socket in which case you need a 13 amp socket to Commando plug adaptor which is easy to get and quite cheap (I carry one in case I need to charge the car at a golf club). You plug your “granny lead” into the adaptor then into your wall socket. The granny lead should be supplied with the car and is recognisable as it has a 13 amp plug one end, a plug for the car at the other and a box in between.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are those wires actually connected anywhere? It looks like rather a rough installation if they are.
No - not at all. The infrastructure is in place, but the owner has to complete the installation. The lenngth has been left for flexibility (although I’d want the person who installs it to check the loose wires).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts