Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Free destination charging but chargeable en route rapid charging will probably become the norm.
As and when dynamic induction charging is available on all except minor roads then payg by (probably) monthly direct debit will be how we pay for our fuel.

In the meantime paying for an emergency "splash and dash" is fine with me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Hmm, sounds like I'm on the favourable side for EV charges in my calcs. So really I gather we're going to have to accept that heading outside a 40 mile radius in my Leaf is going to cost the me about the same as an ICE. I thought that'd be the case once we get the amazingly pricy EDF + China nuclear power on line, but not before battery tech would get much better. So my Leaf goes back to being the wife's second car. Much as i love it, the economics suddenly no longer stack up and It's demoted to 'little occasional car' status.
Ah well, charge via EVSE plug to make most of my solar panels when the sun's out, back to my bus pass and the husband's ICE for anything purposeful.
Shame this new tech is going to die though just like all the other 'green & clean' technologies...

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Hmm, sounds like I'm on the favourable side for EV charges in my calcs. So really I gather we're going to have to accept that heading outside a 40 mile radius in my Leaf is going to cost the me about the same as an ICE. I thought that'd be the case once we get the amazingly pricy EDF + China nuclear power on line, but not before battery tech would get much better. So my Leaf goes back to being the wife's second car. Much as i love it, the economics suddenly no longer stack up and It's demoted to 'little occasional car' status.
Ah well, charge via EVSE plug to make most of my solar panels when the sun's out, back to my bus pass and the husband's ICE for anything purposeful.
Shame this new tech is going to die though just like all the other 'green & clean' technologies...
Last mondays trip Havant to Wool in Dorset cost me nothing, Top up at Nissan Poole plus 3 pin plug at a friends house, quick boost charge at Rownhams services.
Back in April a trip to Chesterfield also was free, using Ecotricity pumps on the Motorways. 550 miles in one day.
Don't despair yet, get out there and play. and don't get hung up on the nit pick of price per mile. Just remember to top up when you can so you always have a 'full tank' .

P.S. Because so few of us use the overpriced SSE chargers in Hampshire they were forced to reduce the price somewhat so that it is actually useable as an emergency back up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Ok, so we're into strike action already - try to avoid the charged chargers except for emergencies! Sigh, life's hard enough already, wonder what will happen in France...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Ok, so we're into strike action already - try to avoid the charged chargers except for emergencies! Sigh, life's hard enough already, wonder what will happen in France...
PS, i'm 'the wife' with the EV, but with ambitions to roam..

·
The best there is at what I do
10,416 Posts
P.S. Because so few of us use the overpriced SSE chargers in Hampshire they were forced to reduce the price somewhat so that it is actually useable as an emergency back up.
On a Rapid a 10 kWh charge = £1.80 to start the charge + 10 kWh’s at £0.30 = £4.80

Still not that good value:p

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
"en route" charging such as motorway service points will, i feel, always be expensive as they have a captive market - just like their petrol/diesel prices and food! Destination charging such a supermarkets will be an attractive pull to EV owners until the rise in EV numbers means an inevitable queue to use and squabbles over 'who was here first'. Work place destination chargers are great idea and will become popular.
We will use our Leaf as nature intended - sub 75 mile round trips . It is brilliant for that, and i must admit we dont think about the cost of a 5-10 mile extra journey now. I applaud those non-typical owners who plan and regularly make long trips with 'plan B' options built-in and allowing more hours for the journey than an ICE, but personally i dont want/need the hassle.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
A problem that the suppliers of charge points have is the cost of the point itself. We have discussed often the cost of providing 3-phase power for rapid chargers, which will make supplier charge more for their services. The difference between 3kw and 7 kw home charge points is quite small but still significant to many. Luckily the 3-pin socket is widely available and very cheap to install.
I wonder to what extent the OLEV grant scheme increases the price at a charge point. Is there any need for 'back office' info, how much does that cost? How many users actually need the info? How many charge point providers need and use the info? Many small hotels, with a dumb point, already cope with any data needs with a 'tick' on a bill, or by absorbing the cost of the electricity used.
I simply wonder if the admin of the charge point has overwhelmed the utility, to the extent that prices are unnecessarily high.
My thought is that the 7kw supply should become the norm, through the Mennekes socket, as others have said the top up advantages are real and reduce the need to use rapid chargers.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Maybe we should just look at rapid chargers like roads. Infrastructure paid for by taxation. Charged to home energy bills.

·
Registered
449 Posts
"en route" charging such as motorway service points will, i feel, always be expensive as they have a captive market - just like their petrol/diesel prices and food! .....

We will use our Leaf as nature intended - sub 75 mile round trips..
'Motorway service points will always be expensive'.

Of course this just isn't the case at the moment. The 'Electric Highway', which is mainly on motorways, is entirely free, and in my experience also 95% queue free, although others seem to find it not to be the case.

While this free access will no doubt eventually change, hopefully it won't for the time being.

As I pointed out on another thread, I feel that Ecotricity have been happy with the chargers being free, for at least two reasons.

Firstly, at the moment the cost of the extra infrastructure to collect charges would probably outweigh the revenue received. Until that changes there would be no point.

Secondly, and probably a more major reason, is the public exposure that Ecotricity are receiving. Four years ago, before the electric highway had started, who had even heard of Ecotricity? Not that many people.

Having rapid chargers in virtually every motorway services has highlighted the Ecotricity brand name immensely.

Just see how the Ecotricity customer base has grown.

October 2011 - 55,000
October 2012 - 68,000
October 2013 - 77,000
October 2014 - 140,000
October 2015 - 170,000

In 2011, before the electric highway had started, 55,000 customers. Now 170,000. An increase of over 300% in just four years!

Note the increase October 2013 to October 2014, over 80% increase in customer base in just one year. What happened in that time period? Probably the biggest expansion in the number of actual Ecotricity charging stations than any other period.

Of course there are other factors as to why the Ecotricity customer base has increased, but I would suggest that a main contributor was the Electric Highway, and getting the name regularly seen at an increasing number of motorway stations, together with a number of press reviews, mentioning the Ecotricity 'free' electric highway.

That has been more of an asset to Ecotricity, than worrying about charging for the use of the chargers. While many on this forum seem anxious to start paying for their charging, I am quite happy with things the way they are, thank you very much!

Nissan also seem happy with this. On their site they push the fact that both their garage sites, and the entire 'Electric Highway' is free, as another reason for buying the Leaf.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I switched home supply to Ecotricity last year. I was looking for 'Green' energy supplier and found Ecotricity and Green Energy. I chose Ecotricity because I had seen their chargers at motorway services. This was before I got an EV.
So yes, I agree, the Electric Highway is powerful marketing.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts