Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all new kid on the clock here, I bought a type 2 charger cable as my car didnt have one and the CCS or CHAdeMO doesnt fit my car, when my wife charged the car at work the App said I was getting 7KW charge however when I took it to a charge station last night and used the same cable pluged into what was an advertised 22KW station the car i was only getting 5KW ?
could this be a cable limitation or do some charge stations limit the output (it was a retail park after shops had shut so no one around or anyone else using the 2 charge stations which were pay as you go )

help would be gratefully received

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,273 Posts
The charging cable you bought was probably single phase only, so a max current of 7kW. You need a three-phase cable to pull the maximum from a 22kW chargepoint.

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,273 Posts
The charging cable you bought was probably single phase only, so a max current of 7kW. You need a three-phase cable to pull the maximum from a 22kW chargepoint.
I've just had a further thought. Does the model S even support 22kW AC charging anymore? I know it was an option on very early models. If not then the max current you can pull is 11kW with a three-phase cable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ah ok yeah it is only single phase, so better to get the 3 phase then !

looked at etting CCS adaptor but cant find anywhere and the CHAdeMO are very pricey

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,273 Posts
ah ok yeah it is only single phase, so better to get the 3 phase then !

looked at etting CCS adaptor but cant find anywhere and the CHAdeMO are very pricey
The CCS adapter is only supplied by Tesla, as part of the CCS conversion they do (there is more work needed on the car than just sticking the adapter in). I think the conversion is about £500.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
FWIW, I was sat at the Bristol SC last summer, waiting for my Model 3 to be fixed (again) and a chap came in with a Model S to have the CCS conversion done. It was pretty quick, around an hour and a half I think, and some of that was the software update needed.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,121 Posts
The CCS conversion is under £300 now. It can be done by a Ranger.

Check under the boot floor and in the frunk as there should be the complete set of Tesla cables in the car somewhere. Dealer is crap if they haven't supplied those cables as they are an essential part of the car.

The single charger Model S support 11kw on 3 phase. The dual ones are a funny number like 16kw.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The CCS conversion is under £300 now. It can be done by a Ranger.

Check under the boot floor and in the frunk as there should be the complete set of Tesla cables in the car somewhere. Dealer is crap if they haven't supplied those cables as they are an essential part of the car.

The single charger Model S support 11kw on 3 phase. The dual ones are a funny number like 16kw.
thanks for the info I have the following set of cables and adapters but nothing that I see working or fitiing in my local charge stations which is why I bought the type 2 cable

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,121 Posts
Oh. I always assumed the big long cable was the one for public AC charge sockets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh. I always assumed the big long cable was the one for public AC charge sockets.

so did I but fairly limited for charging options as my nearest super charger is 20 miles away and the 3 pin adapter chargers at 2kw at home :(. I am getting a point put in at home in the next couple of months so wont be much of an issue but also might be worth the upgrade to CSS adapter

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,121 Posts
I'd definitely get the CCS upgrade. The chademo adapters do pop up on Ebay regularly but they don't seem to be that much cheaper than Tesla as they're still charging about £300 for those as well.

·
Registered
838 Posts
CCS must be done by Tesla to work. There's a physical adaptor, a box of tricks under the back seat plus firmware upgrade. It's £280.
Early Model S could have a second AC charger enabled, giving up to 22kW (if the station can provide it). Later Model S are lower, 16kW maybe.
IMG_20201022_131303468.jpg

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Prefacelift they called it "twin charger" to get 22kw (32A 3 phase) otherwise it was 11kw as a few have said.

Facelift and all MX have been either 11kw (16a 3phase) or 17kw (24A 3 phase) which became the "high power" option. For a while this was standard. You can tell what you've got by looking at the max current before plugging anything in. If thats 24a you have the high power option, if its 16A you don't

Why you'd get 5kw on a 22kw charger buy 7kw elsewhere is a mystery as you should get at least 11kw. Even using a single phase cable on a 3 phase supply should still delivery 7kw if the supply is rated at 22kw. It would be worth noting the two am figures (should be something like 16/16 or 32/32) and whether there is a dot with a 3 in it next to it (which indicates 3 phase). .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts