Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
My Eco Friendly Cross Country Transport!
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Summary - Starting Remote Climate Control overrides the timer for battery charge and starts the battery charging at full cost outside Economy 7 hours? Updated (thanks to John Collinson): If you have "Full Charge Has Priority" turned on in your "Charge Timer" settings.

I have Economy 7 and have set the car to charge in the E7 hours (good luck working out what those are!) - perfect. But I just re-installed my electricity monitor (OWL Intuition pv) to include the PodPoint (which is on a separate fuse box) to see what the Pod Point pulls when charging. As expected it was just over 6kw when charging (climate control off). What surprised me was that when I went back to timed charging and then switched on Remote Climate control with the car plugged in, it started pulling 6kw again! Just to check, I started remote charging too (with Climate control on) and it remains at 6kw (not a surprise as the Pod Point can only deliver about that). I can't imagine that the AirCon system alone pulls 6kw (none of us would go anywhere!) so it must be charging too? Turning off remote climate control did also stop the charging.

The percentage charge on the battery increased while testing (72% - 76%), so my conclusion is that starting Remote Climate Control, also starts the battery charge if the battery is not already full REGARDLESS OF THE CHARGING HOURS SET IN THE VEHICLE. Can anyone confirm?

I can kinda of see the logic of aiming to keep the battery full, but it would have been if left to charge overnight in E7 hours.

I will try again tomorrow with a 100% battery and see if the result is the same, as I was getting in to the habit of kicking off the AirCon with the car plugged in "just in case" so it was always cool when I wanted to drive. I think I may have to unplug the car first in the morning in future. (With consequent use of battery - not an issue for me day-to-day)

·
Registered
922 Posts
That's behaving exactly as you'd expect. Preserve the traction battery power level as much as possible, so if the car's plugged in, and you start the air con or heating, then the car will take the power needed for that from the lead plugged in, meaning the battery's going to get charged.

·
Registered
99 Posts
That's behaving exactly as you'd expect. Preserve the traction battery power level as much as possible, so if the car's plugged in, and you start the air con or heating, then the car will take the power needed for that from the lead plugged in, meaning the battery's going to get charged.
Yep it’s behaving exactly as described in the manual. If it’s plugged in it will always take power from the grid and not the battery.

One thing to watch out for is if you set the charger timer, it defaults to charging the battery as a priority over the charge timer, you can disable this on the timer screen. This means that it will start the charger early to ensure it is fully charged by the end time. If you have set the timer to use E7 then it may start early.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,019 Posts
My smart ass answer would be;- because your Leaf is cleverer than you! If you wanted to only use off peak electricity then you would over-charge it a bit and then unplug, using the cheap electricity for preheating. Because you left it plugged in so the car figures out that you must have undercharged it for your day so are now needing to preheat on the mains, ergo you have not charged it up enough.

Simples, innit!

·
Registered
533 Posts
When you turn on Remote Climate Control is that also on a timer or just literally "turn on now"? My Zoe allows you to say what time you want the car to be ready (heated/cooled) and then turns it on a suitable amount of time before that. So I charge on Economy 7 on timed charge and then the timed climate control kicks in at the time I set it for, so I still get the charge on E7. If my timed climate control is after the E7 hours have finished I will potentially use a bit of full price electricity, otherwise everything is on E7.

Surely the Leaf has a facility to set timed climate control as well as timed charging?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Surely the Leaf has a facility to set timed climate control as well as timed charging?
Yes it does,

Plus you can also remote start via the app and also do a timed remote start via the app.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes it does,

Plus you can also remote start via the app and also do a timed remote start via the app.
@NickEV57 isnt that the answer to your problem? If you set the charging timer for E7 hours and the climate charger for the time you want to leave then you have a warm/cool car and all (or mostly) on E7. If you don’t know when you want to travel then just start climate control on the app when you need it. Does that work?

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My intention was to let people know this would happen if using E7 - because I certainly didn't! Maybe it is in the several hundreds of pages of manual (I have actually read it!), but so is "don't rapid charge very often"!! If you are not using E7 then it is no issue as the cost is the same and probably an advantage in having the car charged at all times. If you are using E7, then don't plug in your car until going to bed, even with the timer set, because it is going to cost you and it is not obvious that it is happening unless you monitor your leccy costs.

My "issue" is that having set the car to charge in E7 hours then I really do not expect the car to start pulling 6kW to charge the battery outside those hours unless I override from the app or the car itself using the button. Turning Climate Control on from the app should do just that and ONLY that. If the car is not plugged in it will use battery (fine by me), if the car is plugged in then it should ideally use grid power, but it should not charge the battery. If I want the battery charged I will use "Charge Now" from the app.

Now I know that it does this, I will avoid turning on climate control when plugged in, unless in E7 hours - but by then the battery is 100% anyway by the time i wake up!!

I also found this morning that if the battery is 100%, then turning on climate control uses only around 1-1.5 kW when plugged in, presumably because at that point the battery trickle charges if it charges at all.

I don't make regular journeys so using timers is not the solution for me, although I do have a timer set just before the end of E7 hours, so that the cabin will start warm/cold as appropriate for the day. I will just use the old fashion way of opening the windows when I get in the car from now on!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
My intention was to let people know this would happen if using E7 - because I certainly didn't! Maybe it is in the several hundreds of pages of manual (I have actually read it!), but so is "don't rapid charge very often"!! If you are not using E7 then it is no issue as the cost is the same and probably an advantage in having the car charged at all times. If you are using E7, then don't plug in your car until going to bed, even with the timer set, because it is going to cost you and it is not obvious that it is happening unless you monitor your leccy costs.

My "issue" is that having set the car to charge in E7 hours then I really do not expect the car to start pulling 6kW to charge the battery outside those hours unless I override from the app or the car itself using the button. Turning Climate Control on from the app should do just that and ONLY that. If the car is not plugged in it will use battery (fine by me), if the car is plugged in then it should ideally use grid power, but it should not charge the battery. If I want the battery charged I will use "Charge Now" from the app.

Now I know that it does this, I will avoid turning on climate control when plugged in, unless in E7 hours - but by then the battery is 100% anyway by the time i wake up!!

I also found this morning that if the battery is 100%, then turning on climate control uses only around 1-1.5 kW when plugged in, presumably because at that point the battery trickle charges if it charges at all.

I don't make regular journeys so using timers is not the solution for me, although I do have a timer set just before the end of E7 hours, so that the cabin will start warm/cold as appropriate for the day. I will just use the old fashion way of opening the windows when I get in the car from now on!!

The climate control can draw 6kW then rapidly dropping to 1.5kW ish once it gets going. It wont start charging the battery again unless you tell it to. As I explained above there is a setting in the timer that can cause it to charge outside the times you set. I have never had the car start charging outside times I have set other than as explained originally.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My intention was to let people know this would happen if using E7 - because I certainly didn't! Maybe it is in the several hundreds of pages of manual (I have actually read it!)
I found this FAQ on the Nissan Eire site, which I cannot locate on the GB site, and it has some good succinct info - mostly my interest was the remote control function: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

·
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The climate control can draw 6kW then rapidly dropping to 1.5kW ish once it gets going. It wont start charging the battery again unless you tell it to. As I explained above there is a setting in the timer that can cause it to charge outside the times you set. I have never had the car start charging outside times I have set other than as explained originally.
Thank you, you are absolutely correct. Disabling the "Full Charge Has Priority" setting (In "Settings | EV Settings |Charge Timer1" for those who are wondering), makes the car behave as I hoped when I turn on Climate Control outside E7 hours. I had already set the end time beyond my E7 hours to make sure that the car will fully charge in those rare instances it won't charge in E7 hours.

The manual is at least obscure on this point, saying (Page CH-23 of UK Manual):

"Full charge has priority:

If “Full charge has priority” is turned on, the charge start timer will be advanced if the fully charged condition of the Li-ion battery cannot be achieved during the start time to end time interval. If the fully charged battery condition cannot be achieved, the charge continues until the battery is fully charged.

NOTE:
If “Full charge has priority” is turned on, it is possible that the battery is not charged fully by the charge end time due to the operating condition of Climate Ctrl. Timer and the tolerance of charging time, etc. In that case, the charging continues until the Li-ion battery is fully charged."

So for E7 users who want to use Climate Control from the app while the car is plugged in, make sure you have turned off "Full Charge Has Priority" unless you want to pay twice as much to charge your car than you expect!!

I would recommend setting your charging hours so that the end time is well beyond the E7 hours. Also check the clock on your meter - ours is nearly 30 mins out, so that the switch to the "night rate" occurs 30 mins later than expected. Our electricity supplier seems to have no interest in correcting this!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts