Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Promoted by the Octopus energy double referral offer, I was finally motivated enough to change energy provider from Bulb, I’ve created a much easier to use calculator to show how much it costs to charge your Model 3 (as well as S and X) by provider.

Hopefully it’s helpful to some of you as well :)

Dave.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That looks to be a useful calculator indeed.

The cost to charge is useful but I also suspect that some energy suppliers oblige you to take both your electricity and gas through them and then charge a higher than average rate for the gas. This then effectively uses the high priced gas to cross subsidise the cheap electricity. The other tactic I hear of is for a supplier to first take your supply on their standard variable tariff (giving the excuse of waiting to fit a smart meter), which, after a few months creates enough value for them to 'afford' to transfer you to a cheaper EV tariff.

Do you know which suppliers allow you to choose to have only your electricity supplied by them? (I know EDF do allow this. I don't know about others).

It would be useful to have a list of suppliers that supply gas only at a competitive rate would be useful so that we can pair them with suppliers that do electricity only EV tariffs? (I know 'so energy' do so but I think there are only a handful that do so at a competitive rate).

Perhaps we could also survey the average time that a customer spends on the standard variable tariff before being moved onto the EV tariff?

. . . . just a suggestion based on what I felt was important to consider when choosing supplier.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All good points.

Octopus make you go over on a fixed or variable (your choice) tariff before switching to something like Go (which is what I’m doing).

Most of them ask if you want to transfer over electric of both, so I’d like to think most of them won’t get you that way, the Octopus gas prices seem to be pretty good to be fair.

·
Registered
141 Posts
We switched to Octopus just before the March lockdown and we were stuck on a variable tariff for about 3 or 4 months before they switched us over to Agile. Reason for taking so long was due to lockdown and so they couldn't send anyone over to install our smart meter (so they claim). Rather annoying to be stuck on a high rate when charging our Model 3.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The sheet is very helpful. I didn't see the daily cost accounted for which seems to vary quite a lot, perhaps I missed it. The other issue I noticed with Agile is it assumes you can shift most of your normal use out of the expensive zone.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sheet is very helpful. I didn't see the daily cost accounted for which seems to vary quite a lot, perhaps I missed it. The other issue I noticed with Agile is it assumes you can shift most of your normal use out of the expensive zone.
From some feedback I had, I’ve kept it as simple as possible so people use it - had what I thought was lots of useful info on a previous incarnation, turned out that might be too much :)

I like the idea of Agile, I might end up moving to it (and maybe back again) at some point

1 - 6 of 6 Posts