Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Promoted by the Octopus energy double referral offer, I was finally motivated enough to change energy provider from Bulb, I’ve created a much easier to use calculator to show how much it costs to charge your Model 3 (as well as S and X) by provider.

Hopefully it’s helpful to some of you as well :)

Dave.

·
Registered
102 Posts
That looks to be a useful calculator indeed.

The cost to charge is useful but I also suspect that some energy suppliers oblige you to take both your electricity and gas through them and then charge a higher than average rate for the gas. This then effectively uses the high priced gas to cross subsidise the cheap electricity. The other tactic I hear of is for a supplier to first take your supply on their standard variable tariff (giving the excuse of waiting to fit a smart meter), which, after a few months creates enough value for them to 'afford' to transfer you to a cheaper EV tariff.

Do you know which suppliers allow you to choose to have only your electricity supplied by them? (I know EDF do allow this. I don't know about others).

It would be useful to have a list of suppliers that supply gas only at a competitive rate would be useful so that we can pair them with suppliers that do electricity only EV tariffs? (I know 'so energy' do so but I think there are only a handful that do so at a competitive rate).

Perhaps we could also survey the average time that a customer spends on the standard variable tariff before being moved onto the EV tariff?

. . . . just a suggestion based on what I felt was important to consider when choosing supplier.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All good points.

Octopus make you go over on a fixed or variable (your choice) tariff before switching to something like Go (which is what I’m doing).

Most of them ask if you want to transfer over electric of both, so I’d like to think most of them won’t get you that way, the Octopus gas prices seem to be pretty good to be fair.

·
Registered
180 Posts
We switched to Octopus just before the March lockdown and we were stuck on a variable tariff for about 3 or 4 months before they switched us over to Agile. Reason for taking so long was due to lockdown and so they couldn't send anyone over to install our smart meter (so they claim). Rather annoying to be stuck on a high rate when charging our Model 3.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The sheet is very helpful. I didn't see the daily cost accounted for which seems to vary quite a lot, perhaps I missed it. The other issue I noticed with Agile is it assumes you can shift most of your normal use out of the expensive zone.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sheet is very helpful. I didn't see the daily cost accounted for which seems to vary quite a lot, perhaps I missed it. The other issue I noticed with Agile is it assumes you can shift most of your normal use out of the expensive zone.
From some feedback I had, I’ve kept it as simple as possible so people use it - had what I thought was lots of useful info on a previous incarnation, turned out that might be too much :)

I like the idea of Agile, I might end up moving to it (and maybe back again) at some point

·
Premium Member
11,672 Posts
It is useful but when considering which tariff to choose you need to look at all your electrical use and try and estimate what is cheaper overall. With many people doing less miles, their percentage of electric used for charging will have gone down - ours has dropped at least 50%. Not particularly due to WFH as always done that, mainly due to not going on UK holidays, less day trips, visiting family and friends etc.

It also isn't always easy. For example, we were on Octopus Go last year which works brilliant for us most of year, but in colder months we need to have the (very large) kitchen electric underfloor heating on (from 6am or earlier) so over last winter we switched to Agile, which was definitely cheaper. As Agile prices stayed low during lockdown and we didn't charge cars as much, we didn't change back. As we can be flexible with when we charge cars, do washing/dishwasher, have the floor come on (the mass retains heat for hours) etc. it is incredibly hard to compare rates!

Reactions: PaulD

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is useful but when considering which tariff to choose you need to look at all your electrical use and try and estimate what is cheaper overall. With many people doing less miles, their percentage of electric used for charging will have gone down - ours has dropped at least 50%. Not particularly due to WFH as always done that, mainly due to not going on UK holidays, less day trips, visiting family and friends etc.

It also isn't always easy. For example, we were on Octopus Go last year which works brilliant for us most of year, but in colder months we need to have the (very large) kitchen electric underfloor heating on (from 6am or earlier) so over last winter we switched to Agile, which was definitely cheaper. As Agile prices stayed low during lockdown and we didn't charge cars as much, we didn't change back. As we can be flexible with when we charge cars, do washing/dishwasher, have the floor come on (the mass retains heat for hours) etc. it is incredibly hard to compare rates!
Totally agree @proddick - this is just one small aspect, I've put a small disclaimer on there, but hopefully it's helpful none the less :)

"This does not constitue as financial advice, you must consider all aspects of your energy use, not just how much it costs to charge your Tesla. Don't be tempted to sacrifice your day rate for the cheapest possible overnight charging"

·
Premium Member
11,672 Posts
Totally agree @proddick - this is just one small aspect, I've put a small disclaimer on there, but hopefully it's helpful none the less :)

"This does not constitue as financial advice, you must consider all aspects of your energy use, not just how much it costs to charge your Tesla. Don't be tempted to sacrifice your day rate for the cheapest possible overnight charging"
Yes, the traditional E7 rates in particular can be daylight robbery. The (now sold) "Robin Hood" energy name was perhaps appropriate :LOL:

Reactions: Biffa and Dave W

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Updated this to version 3 now, added in the supposed UK average consumption costs 9 kWh per day (Google suggested between 8-10 kWh per day).

Obviously hugely circumstantial, but hopefully it helps to not just point people to the cheapest overnight rate :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've now managed to port this over to my website, rather than having it in Google Sheets.

Tesla Cost to charge calculator - TeslaEV.co.uk (links all updated in the post)

I've also added (a by default hidden) option for you to input your own supplier, or another one you are considering + plus inputting your regular home costs (defaults to the UK average of 9kWh) :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Is Tesla UMC basically the 3 pin??

I'd need to use the bus for work one day a week to leave my car charging!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
90 Posts
What's strange is I just had a look at energy comparisons for where I live, I'm a low energy user at home as I live on my own, but it appears that even the companies that have tariffs that "favour" EV owners, much like Octopus Go, their standing charges made it that they were no cheaper than some of the other providers (around 0.20-0.25p per day, per fuel)

Upon searching, Eon (I know, shocked me too), have a tariff with a 0.07-0.08p daily standing charge for each fuel, which sounds too good to be true...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What's strange is I just had a look at energy comparisons for where I live, I'm a low energy user at home as I live on my own, but it appears that even the companies that have tariffs that "favour" EV owners, much like Octopus Go, their standing charges made it that they were no cheaper than some of the other providers (around 0.20-0.25p per day, per fuel)

Upon searching, Eon (I know, shocked me too), have a tariff with a 0.07-0.08p daily standing charge for each fuel, which sounds too good to be true...
It's got to the be the right deal for you and your circumstances, I actually see the most clicks go through to EDF from that calculator, I'm guessing for the 98 deal where you get cheaper electric all weekend, maybe people are saving up all their washing, tumble drying and who knows what else for Saturday and Sunday :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts