Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

So I am picking up my SR+ this Friday and very excited too! I'm currently trying to figure out my charging solution, which is quite limited. My situation is as follows:

1. My allocated car parking space is not outside my property, and it is too far away (about 60m) to run a cable across the road to get to the car
2. Because of this, the freeholder of the whole estate will not grant me the right to install a charger at the property, because we are technically not allowed to park outside (although in reality, this is fine for guests or overnight parking). As such, I will not be able to install a type 2 charger and will be limited to using only a 3-pin plug. This isn't actually a big issue for me, because I do a small mileage and charging overnight a few times a week should be sufficient. I also live close to two superchargers (within 10 minutes drive), and many public chargers.
3. My plan was to park directly outside the property to charge and to run the cable through our letterbox to connect to the socket. I'll of course use a heavy-duty surge breaker either way. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like a plug will fit through, so this isn't possible either. Alternatively, I can run a standard cable through a window instead and then put the window in a locked position but slightly open (this provides just enough room for the cable to fit and not be compromised, but little else!).

Clearly none of these options are ideal, so I thought I'd see if anybody else has any other suggestions or ways I could potentially do this? Just to reiterate, only using the 3-pin plug will be entirely sufficient for my usage. When the car is not being charged, it will spend the rest of the timing in the allocated space. It is not possible to install a charging point at the space either!

GRR!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
if you had a special extension lead specifically for charging you could add a separate flat connector plug to the extension lead so that it goes through the letterbox I got mine from Toughleads which ive been really happy with. drop them an email im sure theyd knock something bespoke up for you.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Maybe ask them if they would be ok with you installing a discreet commando socket instead of external wall socket.

If you own the building they cant have any say in this i would imagine but if your renting then a landlord could turn around and say no.

A commando socket is still an external plug socket so all good and cabled up can easily support 32amp so much better charging for you with the correct UMC adapter or something like an Ohme.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Welcome! I bet you will love the car.

SR+ here too, with a similar situation. When needed, I can park in front of the house (as long as I continue not having a neighbor) which is outside the parking space and run the cable from a plug in the kitchen.

Luckily I have a charger at my workplace, but now working from home. What usually happens is I charge using one of the local public chargers, there's a 7kW and a 50kW, which is my preferred option, I usually stay in the car and catch up on social media and YouTube.

What are your public charger options nearby?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if you had a special extension lead specifically for charging you could add a separate flat connector plug to the extension lead so that it goes through the letterbox I got mine from Toughleads which ive been really happy with. drop them an email im sure theyd knock something bespoke up for you.
That's a good idea, I'll contact them now - thanks!

Maybe ask them if they would be ok with you installing a discreet commando socket instead of external wall socket.

If you own the building they cant have any say in this i would imagine but if your renting then a landlord could turn around and say no.

A commando socket is still an external plug socket so all good and cabled up can easily support 32amp so much better charging for you with the correct UMC adapter or something like an Ohme.
I haven't heard of a commando socket until now, and that sounds like a good solution to get around the issue. 32amp would be nice too! Will look into that as well and contact an electrician to find out about the possibility and costs involved. There is an external box on the front of the house, so hopefully they can connect into that.

Welcome! I bet you will love the car.

SR+ here too, with a similar situation. When needed, I can park in front of the house (as long as I continue not having a neighbor) which is outside the parking space and run the cable from a plug in the kitchen.

Luckily I have a charger at my workplace, but now working from home. What usually happens is I charge using one of the local public chargers, there's a 7kW and a 50kW, which is my preferred option, I usually stay in the car and catch up on social media and YouTube.

What are your public charger options nearby?
Thanks - I'm really excited. I have been a life-long petrol head until the past few years, and now ICE cars do not interest me in the slightest. My previous car was an S4 Avant, so it'll be interesting to see how the car compares in terms of performance and comfort (not that I'm going to be racing around).

It sounds as though your situation is very similar to mine then. The public charging is actually pretty good around me, with the nearest 7kw a 5 minute walk from the house. So it's absolutely possible for me to use entirely public charging and supercharging as a means to charge the car. I would like to have an at-home solution though, even if it's just to top the range up prior to some longer journeys.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
You'll love the Model 3.

A commando socket suitably wired should be around £200-350 depending on how much cable is needed and such.

Be aware if you keep your vehicle a long time/own it, then DC fast charging a lot is bad for the battery and as some older Model S are seeing, the charging speed gets reduced to protect the battery long term.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've installed a 32A Commando socket (edit: it is an interlocked model and is IP67 rated) and use the Ohme charger (discounted with Octopus) to get full 7kW charging. This is at a flat I own, but where allocated parking is not guaranteed. I've bought a suitably rated Commando extension lead to allow me to reach the car wherever it is parked. You can see the current and previous solutions below!

IMG_3057.JPG

·
Premium Member
11,317 Posts
Congratulations on your car.

I strongly recommend you get a dedicated, external socket fitted to charge your car. Using a 13A socket on a ring main is not recommended for regular charging (see attached) nor are extension leads. You could just get an EV rated external 13A socket, but it would be best (as suggested above) to get an interlocked commando socket. I would recommend a 32A commando installation to latest EV regulations (separate RCD, etc) for total safety.

I would also suggest you do NOT use the supplied Tesla UMC but purchase a separate 32A commando one. Perhaps the Ohme which is on offer at £199 if you move to Octopus, as you can then take advantage of cheap Go rates, etc. The Tesla UMC isn't renowned for reliability so that is main reason not to use every night. Best to keep in car for when visiting family, friends, etc.

I used a quality MK 13A socket in garage when living at rental house and the bottom of the plug melted after a few months. I have recently seen same issue with Tesla UMC on Facebook. I didn't unplug and check regularly - which if you go 13A is very important to do.

Attachments

Reactions: Kingpleb1

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've installed a 32A Commando socket (edit: it is an interlocked model and is IP67 rated) and use the Ohme charger (discounted with Octopus) to get full 7kW charging. This is at a flat I own, but where allocated parking is not guaranteed. I've bought a suitably rated Commando extension lead to allow me to reach the car wherever it is parked. You can see the current and previous solutions below!
You've sent me down a rabbit hole here! A Commando socket should allow me to get around the management company issue because I can argue it can be used for multi-purpose and it's not a dedicated EV socket. I'm currently speaking with a few electricians who are scared/uncertain about what is required to install it. The Ohme charger looks like a good way to go for me too, and apparently it also has an onboard RCD, which might negate the need for a separate one.

Congratulations on your car.

I strongly recommend you get a dedicated, external socket fitted to charge your car. Using a 13A socket on a ring main is not recommended for regular charging (see attached) nor are extension leads. You could just get an EV rated external 13A socket, but it would be best (as suggested above) to get an interlocked commando socket. I would recommend a 32A commando installation to latest EV regulations (separate RCD, etc) for total safety.

I would also suggest you do NOT use the supplied Tesla UMC but purchase a separate 32A commando one. Perhaps the Ohme which is on offer at £199 if you move to Octopus, as you can then take advantage of cheap Go rates, etc. The Tesla UMC isn't renowned for reliability so that is main reason not to use every night. Best to keep in car for when visiting family, friends, etc.

I used a quality MK 13A socket in garage when living at rental house and the bottom of the plug melted after a few months. I have recently seen same issue with Tesla UMC on Facebook. I didn't unplug and check regularly - which if you go 13A is very important to do.
Thanks also for this. This looks like the best way for me to go and if it proves too problematic, I will install an external 13a waterproof socket instead. The Ohme cable is now my preferred route, so I can just keep the UMC in the car for when I need it and to prevent wear.

I have found a few Commando sockets that include an RCD (for example: https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/s...2824806900&utm_content=Mains Plugs & Adaptors), do you think these are ok? The Ohme cable also has one integrated too.

I have been researching more and apparently an RCD is needed even if just charging from a standard 13a socket for EV purposes, and I suspect almost nobody is aware/or does this.

·
Premium Member
11,317 Posts
I have been researching more and apparently an RCD is needed even if just charging from a standard 13a socket for EV purposes, and I suspect almost nobody is aware/or does this.
Under regs, you need a Type A RCD (or RCBO) for the commando socket if main use is charging a car using OHME. If you email OHME they can send you installation instructions that you can give to an electrician for a quote. Someone did post them on here, but I can't find.

[email protected]

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Under regs, you need a Type A RCD (or RCBO) for the commando socket if main use is charging a car using OHME. If you email OHME they can send you installation instructions that you can give to an electrician for a quote. Someone did post them on here, but I can't find.

[email protected]
Just received them and have sent onward to the electrician :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
3 pin 10A charging using the supplied Tesla UMC works OK (at a rate around 9 miles added/hour) but be aware that even with an external waterproof socket the UMC itself is not rated for heavy rain and should to be covered somehow. Also if using an extension lead, to avoid heat build up do not keep this coiled.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts