Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think I've seen the odd message on here or maybe on the FB group, but are many of you noticing hairline cracks in your charge port door?

Not really even hairline here. The car is 4 and a bit months old now so it does leave a fair bit desired for a part that is going to get a lot of use!

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
566 Posts
The charge door on the Niro is quote poor imho. It does feel flimsy and though I realise they're common, I really hate the plastic bungs - surely something integrated and, frankly, better could have been designed. It feels like an after thought.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
681 Posts
I agree 100%. The inner socket covers are a royal PITA! Especially when it’s cold dark windy and wet. They should have been somehow integrated with the outer cover (Or at least the top one anyway). To have two tacky plastic covers dangling in the wind on a string, I mean come on! The boring white LED isn’t great either. I see many EVs have lovely circular multi colour LEDs which indicate status as well as illuminating the socket area.

Apparent Tesla got this bit right. Go to a supercharger, wave the plug near the car and the charging door opens itself and you just plug right in. Then the charger starts itself and automatically recognises the car identification and account. Perfect!

I’ll check my flap next time but I think it’s still intact
Peter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine froze up a few nights ago. It took 3 attempts to get it open. I will have to check it next time it's light. At least the charge port is in the front of the car. I don't think I'd like a car with a side opening flap.
Kia definitely got it right with the charge port at the front imo.

Yes mine froze the other evening and had to defrost through breath as had no deicer and was at a public charger 🙃

·
Registered
681 Posts
I think I've seen the odd message on here or maybe on the FB group, but are many of you noticing hairline cracks in your charge port door?
Checked my charging flap today and it’s fine.
Yours looks to me that somebody might have tried to pry it open with a tool whilst it was latched shut or locked? Peter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked my charging flap today and it’s fine.
Yours looks to me that somebody might have tried to pry it open with a tool whilst it was latched shut or locked? Peter
Whilst that is always a possibility I don't think this is the case. It seems reasonably prevalent to a minority of owners judging by the UK Facebook group - Kia are repairing some under warranty.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree 100%. The inner socket covers are a royal PITA! Especially when it’s cold dark windy and wet. They should have been somehow integrated with the outer cover (Or at least the top one anyway). To have two tacky plastic covers dangling in the wind on a string, I mean come on!

The plastic covers can be put inside one another, handy to keep the inner surfaces dry during rain/snow showers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Initially garage refused to replace under warranty - asked them if it was possible to push it as I'd seen some people on Facebook getting it done (played the "I realise you've got to be sure that Kia will recompense you and don't want you to be out of pocket" card). They sent pictures to Kia and now being replaced/covered under warranty.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Looking at the design (which I agree really isn’t great) I think to minimise the risk of stressing the plastic cover, it is quite important to only press it towards the right end when opening or closing. The small moulded triangle bit is the correct place to push on as that is right over the latch behind (see pics above). I’m wondering if sometimes it inadvertently gets pressed in the middle of the door flap? This would likely bend the flap inwards against the end latch resistance and possibly cause it to split over time. Of course if it was perfectly designed it wouldn’t matter. Peter

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ha, forget the above message. I’ve just been out looking at the flap and it’s a lot stronger construction than I thought. I see it is double skinned on the inside and is really quite rigid. So I think my theory above is quite flawed.
Furthermore, I looked closely and mine is now developing a hairline crack too 🥴 . Anyway it’s nothing much so I’ll just keep an eye on it. If it stays on the top edge I’ll live with it probably. However, if it spreads further to the front face then I would be looking for a warranty replacement. AFAIK I’ve never pushed it from the middle but even if I had I now doubt it makes any difference as it is quite a rigid assembly. It may be caused by a built in stress or weakness during manufacturing?

@ClementsJ I tried your suggestion to fit the 2 caps together to keep them dry. Unless I’m a bit thick I could see no way of fitting them together. They are a completely different shape from each other :unsure:

cheers. Peter

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Has anyone noticed that if the car is locked, and you use the key to unlock the car to open the charge flap, plug in, and then lock the car again, returning some time later to remove the charge cable; when you shut the charge flap it does not lock until you press the lock button again. (phew, hope that makes sense!)

·
Registered
300 Posts
@prawlin re the charge plugs the top type 2 cover from the car fits snugly into the rubber cover from your type 2 lead. I usually join them over the top of the cable to prevent them knocking on the paint.
I must admit that the petrol cap holder on the inside of my charge flap (Ioniq) is really helpful NOT. Why oh why did they not think to add in a hook on the charge flap door I don't know.

·
Registered
30 Posts
@prawlin re the charge plugs the top type 2 cover from the car fits snugly into the rubber cover from your type 2 lead. I usually join them over the top of the cable to prevent them knocking on the paint.
I must admit that the petrol cap holder on the inside of my charge flap (Ioniq) is really helpful NOT. Why oh why did they not think to add in a hook on the charge flap door I don't know.
Thank you GMat
much better explained by yourself.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've noticed today that mine (early 2019 first edition) is cracked in almost the same place. It comes over the top and straight down to the little plug icon on the front. Not nice! I've been as gentle as a mouse with it from new. I wonder if it doesn't like the cold weather?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+
60 Posts
This seems to be a common fault, my 4+ not even 3 months old and have the same problem. Good news it’s being fixed under warranty 😁

I believe the recent cold spell caused it with the water freezing around the edge and expanded, as it was OK before that.

I believe this is going to be an ongoing issue, got this car for 3 years.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Not cracked yet, 2020, about May...., But I always close doors gently, until they click, and I have always been careful to push exactly opposite of the latch.

Will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
So that’s 4 cracked charging flaps reported on here so far.

According to the ongoing poll, so far we have 101 Eniros on this forum, so that equates to a 4% cracked flap figure. I’ll bet it’s more when more folk realise it’s happened to their car also.
It’s really not obvious unless you look carefully.
Peter
If you haven’t voted yet (any car!) please do.......

1 - 19 of 19 Posts