Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
VW E-Golf
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m trying to get my head around programming charging. I understand the concept of departure times etc, but I’m not sure how to apply it in this situation. I’ve Googled, I’ve fiddled, I’ve cursed ... I’ve even read the manual!

We have chargepoints at work, free to use but don’t sit there all day because our response vehicles use the chargers too. Fair enough. The internet (and, more importantly, the handbook) say not to fully charge all the time, so I want to be able to plug in at some point during the day, charge to 80% and then stop charging. It won’t be every day, and my departure time varies. Is there a way to do this?

The current workaround is that I use Tronity to notify me that the car is at 80%, and I could use We Connect app to tell the car to stop charging if I can’t go and unplug at that point (ie I’m in the middle of my 700th Teams meeting of the day ) but I wondered if there was a more elegant automated solution?

·
Registered
EGolf
114 Posts
Can’t you just set maximum charge to 80% and just plug it in. Or at least that’s how mine is set up on the emanager

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Do you have a home charger as well?

I don't think it will do any real harm charging to 100% when it will only be at 100% for a relatively short time.

The setting you may be looking for is the minimum charge.

Provided there is a departure time set at some point in the future the car will charge to the minimum charge setting when you plug it in and then stop.

It will then complete the charge in time for your departure.

For example set a minimum charge of 80% and a departure time of 07:30 every Monday.

The car will charge to 100% at 07:30 on Monday. Every time you plug it in after that it will charge to 80%. Until the next Monday morning, when it will charge to 100% for 07:30.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Can’t you just set maximum charge to 80% and just plug it in. Or at least that’s how mine is set up on the emanager
Yes, set lower battery charge limit to 80% in basic settings. As long as you have a later departure time enabled (ticked) as soon as you plug it in it will charge to 80 % at the rate you set in the basic settings

The other method is to set up a charging location with an upper battery charge limit of 80%. Then use this for the departure time that you want. The car will charge to whatever you set the lower battery charge first. Then prepare the car for departure with 80% charge at your departure time.

I use this to charge my Golf GTE to 70 or 80% when I arrive home. Then have the car charged to 90 or 100% and warm for when I leave home next day. Trying not to leave the car fully charged or discharged for too long to look after the battery.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
VW E-Golf
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, it was the bit about departure times that was confusing me I think. Makes sense now so I will have a go tomorrow and see what happens

·
Registered
VW E-Golf
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update - sorted, makes sense now. Thanks for holding my hand through this difficult journey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts