Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As an EV newcomer could you please let me have some advise on charging etiquette at public charging stations please?

In particuar: an EV has been parked at a Polar chargepost for at least 48 hours continuously, plugged into the 3kw connector. The post has 2 allocated bays, one 7kw and one 3kw connector. Over the last 48 hours the 7kw connector has been used by several cars but the other bay has been unvailable due to this one car.

1. Would you expect a car to be charging at the same post for 48 hours continuously?
2. Would it be OK to put a note on his windscreen asking him to move when his battery is charged up (surely less than 48 hours !!)

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi. Users have become used to low demand at charge posts and so some have become personal charge points by default. I would leave a note if I were you, but just be sensitive to the fact that they may not be aware that anyone needs the post.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
The onus is surely on the owners of the charge point and the parking space. If they deem it acceptable then why not? It's very anti-social and greedy, but that's something the providers need to stop with time limits and penalties for overstaying when charging ceases. I'm aware that people have issues with charges failing but that can be resolved afterwards.
On a 3 kW post something like an e-Tron will take around 48 hours to charge from flat. Whether that's fair or sensible is another matter. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The onus is surely on the owners of the charge point and the parking space. If they deem it acceptable then why not? It's very anti-social and greedy, but that's something the providers need to stop with time limits and penalties for overstaying when charging ceases. I'm aware that people have issues with charges failing but that can be resolved afterwards.
On a 3 kW post something like an e-Tron will take around 48 hours to charge from flat. Whether that's fair or sensible is another matter. :rolleyes:
Penalties for overstaying when charge is complete seems logical. I think this happens on some rapid chargers but not yet on fast chargers, possibly due to the varying times different cars would need for a decent charge. How long would an e Golf take to charge?

·
Registered
17,463 Posts
Penalties for overstaying when charge is complete seems logical. I think this happens on some rapid chargers but not yet on fast chargers, possibly due to the varying times different cars would need for a decent charge. How long would an e Golf take to charge?
No, because ‘fast’ chargers are all destination chargers. They cost a lot less to have more of them so generally only local parking restrictions will apply.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts