Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ecotricity have published on their web site some guidelines and good practice advice when using the Electric Highway.

It seems to finally put an end to what Ecotricity believe is good practice regarding charging at Highway locations for long periods as has been discussed at length in other threads. It seems that it is not acceptable to Ecotricity to "hog" the charger. They see the Highway for rapid charging and to them that is under 30 minutes...

There advice...

Don't Hog a charger...charge up and move on

Electric Highway rapid chargers are designed to do exactly that – deliver a rapid charge – in no longer than 30 minutes...charge up and let someone else use it.
I think this then answers the question clearly but I don't suppose it will stop people charging for hours and blocking the charger for others.

http://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road/ev-driver-etiquette

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
They've left that ambiguous. "Charge up and move on" is what it says to do, which can take longer than 30 minutes, even in a LEAF or similar.

And then it says "rapid chargers are designed to do exactly that – deliver a rapid charge – in no longer than 30 minutes" well then they're not designed very well I would suggest. :D

If they wanted to provide real clarity they should just say "Charge up and move on, in no more than 30 minutes". Totally clear. And then also set a limit on the chargers themselves.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
They've left that ambiguous. "Charge up and move on" is what it says to do, which can take longer than 30 minutes, even in a LEAF or similar.

And then it says "rapid chargers are designed to do exactly that – deliver a rapid charge – in no longer than 30 minutes" well then they're not designed very well I would suggest. :D

If they wanted to provide real clarity they should just say "Charge up and move on, in no more than 30 minutes". Totally clear. And then also set a limit on the chargers themselves.
Didn't read it that way myself - the charge up I read as being get some charge - not neccesarily to full.

The later wording clarifies any doubt.
And increasingly will be possible. But still suspect there may be some journeys - from a rapid to mid wales for instance - where a charge to 100 % preferred.

Wonder if they will ever enforce it as a "fair use" policy.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
You can argue about the semantics but the spirit of what they are saying is that people should make way after 30mins.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
It's not perfect, but it's clear they are acknowledging an issue.
Enforcement, however, is another matter.

Perhaps in time they will set strict time limits, maybe even refusing to allow another charge session to start with the same rfid card (though, then, we'll all just carry multiple cards from different schemes...)

I think it's clear enough, but don't expect much to change. Those taxis will no doubt still be found at Heston and Pease Pottage.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Or poorly read. Workman and tools ;)

(Not a serious dig, but could not resist!)

Leaving the wording aside. What do you think of the guidance Paul, particularly ref the half hour....?
I'm not entirely clear what the policy actually is, so can't really comment. See previous. :p

I've never been in favour of the "fictional 30" in any context really as it doesn't really work that way in real life judging from my own and other's experiences I've seen on here and elsewhere. Plus if we all get the higher capacity, bigger batteries we want then it could be quite crippling quite soon.

Seriously though, if they intended to make it clear and final they really should do so, this statement isn't really very firm or clear. It's sort of acknowledging their may be some issues and that perhaps if you wouldn't mind then maybe 30 minutes is perhaps right for your rapid charge...

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Or even.

"Charge for 30 minutes, then move on.

We have set a 30 minute charge limit on our rapid charger network. That's enough for most battery electric vehicles to regain around 60%-70% of their full capacity. After this time, the charger will disengage and you can continue with your journey".

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Not unprecedented. In broadband speeds historically it was unmetered but subject to a fair use policy.

Hard to enforce from cards alone. Perhaps eventually if user behaviour enforces enforcement automatic number plate recognition. Not sure how that would work though tbh....

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Wow, 30 mins at 22kw gives 34 whole miles of charge. Not even enough to get to the next service station in some cases.

Surprised that we have still heard nothing on the Tesla / Ecotricity spat. I wonder what is holding things up.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Not unprecedented. In broadband speeds historically it was unmetered but subject to a fair use policy.

Hard to enforce from cards alone. Perhaps eventually if user behaviour enforces enforcement automatic number plate recognition. Not sure how that would work though tbh....
Nobody is queuing up to use your bandwidth. ;)

Plus if it cut off at 30 automatically it instantly puts the onus on the user to plug back in if they're there, or allows a waiting vehicle to take over (in many cases) as the charger will disengage.

·
Banned
961 Posts
Vague language is good - nobody wants the charging police to show up, but it gives a general guideline that slow charging for hours is not the intended use model.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Isn;t that a limitation of the car taking only 22kwh rather than the charger? Presumably Tesla will be installing superchargers to meet faster charging requirements in any case?

Wow, 30 mins at 22kw gives 34 whole miles of charge. Not even enough to get to the next service station in some cases.

Surprised that we have still heard nothing on the Tesla / Ecotricity spat. I wonder what is holding things up.

·
Super Moderator
7,503 Posts
Yes it's a little conflicted. The points are first come, first served. But only for 30 minutes.

I sort of read the don't hogging to mean, charge up and then leave. Not, charge up and leave the car sat there not doing anything while you eat a burger. Well it's only etiquette and not rules anyway, so it's no great shakes....

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Well it's only etiquette and not rules anyway, so it's no great shakes....
I just wish Ecotricity would enforce this (via the chargers) and not leave it up to the punters... in my experience 'etiquette' will not work with such a diverse group of people (I recently got told to p**s off when I asked a BYD Taxi driver how long he'd be using the AC charging for :rolleyes:).

1 - 20 of 74 Posts