Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I have a 2015 i3REX since December last year. No problems so far but this morning when I thought the car was charged up all I had same level of charge since last night's drive (45%) and my 'granny' charger blinking on red (fault). Unplugged, plugged back in, no luck. Never had this problem before, anyone any ideas before I ring the dealer?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have you tried plugging in to a different receptacle? EVSEs monitor faults on the supply side; there may be an issue with your circuit

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,677 Posts
hi, I have a 2015 i3REX since December last year. No problems so far but this morning when I thought the car was charged up all I had same level of charge since last night's drive (45%) and my 'granny' charger blinking on red (fault). Unplugged, plugged back in, no luck. Never had this problem before, anyone any ideas before I ring the dealer?
Yes was fixed under warranty but never detailed on paperwork as exactly what was broken, worth trying another charger though 1st.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, tried different circuit. Same problem. Is there anywhere in the app that can show me or is it call to the dealer?

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
985 Posts
Just to rule out the possibility that your granny cable is the problem, is there any chance you have a public charging point nearby you could try charging on (preferably on AC) to see if that works or not?

If it doesn't work, then its almost definitely a car issue and as long as you've checked the usual suspects like the 12v battery misbehaving, it's going to be a trip to the dealer. Hopefully it's under warranty as otherwise basically any work on an i3 quickly gets expensive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
as it happens I have a public charging point in our village and I'll try that later. The car is under 12 months dealer warranty (did I check the small print? Nope!). let's see. How would I check the 12 V battery (i.e. how would I know something's wrong?).

·
Registered
2019 Renault Zoe R110 (ZE40)
985 Posts
as it happens I have a public charging point in our village and I'll try that later. The car is under 12 months dealer warranty (did I check the small print? Nope!). let's see. How would I check the 12 V battery (i.e. how would I know something's wrong?).
You need to check the voltage of the battery to make sure it's still good. EVs like to throw up all kinds of errors and do weird things when the battery voltage gets a little too low. Since it's now around 5 years old, if the car still has it's original 12v batttery then there is a possibility that it's starting to go bad. It was fairly common before but even more people have had this recently due to the lockdown and using the car less, letting the battery discharge a little further.

I'm unsure if there is an easy way to monitor the 12v battery through software on the i3 or not unfortunately, as I haven't spent too much time working with them. You may need a tool to check this yourself.

I'd say check the public chargepoint first and see how that goes. Only if that fails too is it then worth worrying about the other possibilities.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There's also the possibility that the 2nd receptacle you tried is on the same circuit as the first. If there's a problem such as a loose ground connection on that circuit, it could show up at all receptacles on that circuit. I had a disconnected neutral once that affected the whole house, but I didn't know it except under particular load conditions. So as you're troubleshooting, pick the easy fruit first, try your existing EVSE at a different location to know with certainty its status.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, car went to dealer and it turned out it was the 'granny' charging cable. I still have to work out why charging on the speedy one on the "Dragon Charging' point didn't work. I need to look at the sequencing of that system, as it's very common around here. Thanks for all your advice ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts