Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks
Been having trouble with charging for a few months. Here's the brief summary! Any help appreciated. I've just tried disconnecting the 12v battery to reset but made no difference.

Charger (7kW Pod point home); Have now had Pod Point out a few times, and there has certainly been some fault with the unit. It was never staying on for very long and going off with a loud clunk, then constantly repeating that and resetting itself over and over. This was happening regardless of being plugged into the car or not. They've been again today and replaced various parts - it now appears to stay on whilst not plugged in to car (although it's only been a few hours). BUT now goes off when you plug it into the car!! It starts connecting, blue lights on dash come on for perhaps 5 seconds, then clunk and the charger turns off. Anyone anything similar?

So, the Leaf; No issues using granny charger or rapids (which I've been doing a fair amount of whilst the Pod has been in fault). Got the below codes off Leaf Spy today, anyone know what they mean??

I found a similar thread here 2016 Leaf 30 won't charge but not sure if anyone could elaborate on the issue here? It's due into Nissan in a month or so anyway for annual service/MOT but now worried it may be a fault with the onboard charger, rather than the Pod Point.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah thanks OsBrook - I found it under Arkranium's profile.

Interesting - so mine has a tethered cable from the Pod point - I guess it could be damp connectors on that? Is spraying WD40 into the end of the charge cable ok??

·
Registered
4 Posts
I get something similar with my pod point but only when my solar panels are generating. At the same time, the granny lead would charge fine. I suspect the pod-point is picky about the mains. When I charge at night, no problems.
My dad has similar with his e-208. I think pod-point changed a setting remotely for my dad to charge during the day.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Charger (7kW Pod point home); Have now had Pod Point out a few times, and there has certainly been some fault with the unit. It was never staying on for very long and going off with a loud clunk, then constantly repeating that and resetting itself over and over. This was happening regardless of being plugged into the car or not. They've been again today and replaced various parts - it now appears to stay on whilst not plugged in to car (although it's only been a few hours). BUT now goes off when you plug it into the car!! It starts connecting, blue lights on dash come on for perhaps 5 seconds, then clunk and the charger turns off. Anyone anything similar?
Stop using this Pod Point immediately until it is properly fixed and tested! :oops:

The contactor of an EVSE should never activate when the car is not plugged in! This is a safety issue.

One of the functions of an EVSE is that it ensures that there is never live 240 volts AC on the pins at the end of the cable going to the car when it is not connected to the car. So you can safely handle the charging plug even in heavy rain because it can't become live until it is plugged into the car and the waterproof seal on the plug is sealing against the socket.

Having the pins on the plug live when not connected to the car puts you at risk of an electrical shock. While it probably won't happen in the dry there is a very definite chance of a shock handling the plug in the wet.

Don't take any chances - use your granny EVSE until this is fixed properly. To be honest it sounds like they're making a meal of the troubleshooting and repair. If it's still under warranty and I was in the same situation I would probably be demanding a replacement unit on the basis that they don't seem to be able to fix it and they are leaving it in an unsafe state.

·
Registered
40 Leaf
216 Posts
Hi folks
Been having trouble with charging for a few months. Here's the brief summary! Any help appreciated. I've just tried disconnecting the 12v battery to reset but made no difference.

So, the Leaf; No issues using granny charger or rapids (which I've been doing a fair amount of whilst the Pod has been in fault). Got the below codes off Leaf Spy today, anyone know what they mean??

I found a similar thread here 2016 Leaf 30 won't charge but not sure if anyone could elaborate on the issue here? It's due into Nissan in a month or so anyway for annual service/MOT but now worried it may be a fault with the onboard charger, rather than the Pod Point.

View attachment 135389
This sounds like a communication problem between the BMS and the charger to me, if the car can't talk to the charge point it will refuse to charge.

I would have thought that there is a connection problem on one of the smaller connecters in your cable.

Have you inspected them for dirt / wear / damage?

If its charging ok on the granny cable that suggested that its in the connector on your charge point cable.

It could also be a cable that's become damaged inside the flex has it been twisted or kinked near the connector?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, long story short Pod Point engineer came back and swapped out the whole tethered cable. Hey presto, seems to have solved the issue. I’m not quite holding my breath as it was intermittent before, but so far so good.
my assumption is some gremlin in the charger plug itself, but could have been the cable I guess. There was nothing obvious to see either in the terminalsat either end of it when he took it off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stop using this Pod Point immediately until it is properly fixed and tested! :oops:

The contactor of an EVSE should never activate when the car is not plugged in! This is a safety issue.

One of the functions of an EVSE is that it ensures that there is never live 240 volts AC on the pins at the end of the cable going to the car when it is not connected to the car. So you can safely handle the charging plug even in heavy rain because it can't become live until it is plugged into the car and the waterproof seal on the plug is sealing against the socket.

Having the pins on the plug live when not connected to the car puts you at risk of an electrical shock. While it probably won't happen in the dry there is a very definite chance of a shock handling the plug in the wet.

Don't take any chances - use your granny EVSE until this is fixed properly. To be honest it sounds like they're making a meal of the troubleshooting and repair. If it's still under warranty and I was in the same situation I would probably be demanding a replacement unit on the basis that they don't seem to be able to fix it and they are leaving it in an unsafe state.
You misunderstood what I meant - I didn't mean the charge plug was live, I simply meant the actual unit stayed switched on, ready to activate as normal, until you plugged it into the car at which point it switched off!

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
You misunderstood what I meant - I didn't mean the charge plug was live, I simply meant the actual unit stayed switched on, ready to activate as normal, until you plugged it into the car at which point it switched off!
I was responding to this statement:

It was never staying on for very long and going off with a loud clunk, then constantly repeating that and resetting itself over and over. This was happening regardless of being plugged into the car or not.
If it was clunking by itself while the car wasn't connect then the terminals inside the plug would have been live at least some of the time while not plugged in. The clunk is the contactor relay switching on or off, and the contactor is the only thing between you and 240v AC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts