Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best charging networks please and do we need the plastic cards for all of them or do phone apps work?

We just set out to find charging stations for our new EV (waiting for home charger to be installed). Tried 6 points in two towns. 3 not working, 3 not taking money. Came home again, bit annoyed and very wet.
We have the BP Pulse app on the phone but the charging point didn't 'wake up' in response to this.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I think Instavolt and Osprey are up there - you can charge from both with just a contactless card or use their respective apps.

Are you using Zapmap to research chargers around you?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Instavolt and Osprey are up there - you can charge from both with just a contactless card or use their respective apps.

Are you using Zapmap to research chargers around you?
Yes, we've used Zapmap (is that the best one?) although we live in the sticks so choices are limited. We made the mistake of going for the BP Pulse app because so many of the points seemed to use their charging stations but we have since found threads on here that basically repeat all of the problems that we found (no 'stop charging' button on the app(!), no answer from 'helpline etc). I'd certainly rather just make a contactless payment and avoid the apps where possible - keep it simple.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Whilst BP Pulse is the worst network out there, I have always had a reply from the helpline so that’s unusual. They are the only ones i’d Have a rfid card for - for the rest, apps work well, as long as you (and therefore the post) have a good signal.

I do object to be pulse charging a monthly charge for the card though - for my very occasional use it’s too dear, so I just call them

·
Registered
252 Posts
The best charge network is the one with chargers on the routes you use. Apps are useful but you really don't want to be fiddling around with your phone at the charger when it is raining collect RFID cards instead. Chargepoint app/card gives you access to their own plus Osprey, Instavolt and a few others and doesn't require any deposit or connection fee. See if your electricity provider gives any particular account/card that charges to your electricity bill, Octopus have the Electric Juice card for instance..

·
Registered
Kona64
1,872 Posts
Add plugshare app
some cars allow it to work via car-play etc

with the bp pulse app, scroll down on the window when charging has started, to see an End Charge large button. It’s not obvious, I found it by chance.
However that does stop you from accidentally hitting it, when having locked car, walked off putting phone in pocket.

Reactions: mattdav

·
Registered
11 Posts
The best charge network is the one with chargers on the routes you use. Apps are useful but you really don't want to be fiddling around with your phone at the charger when it is raining collect RFID cards instead. Chargepoint app/card gives you access to their own plus Osprey, Instavolt and a few others and doesn't require any deposit or connection fee. See if your electricity provider gives any particular account/card that charges to your electricity bill, Octopus have the Electric Juice card for instance..

Thank you. I took your advice and opened a Chargepoint account. Card on its way.

·
Registered
MG5
458 Posts
Try the Electric Juice card from Octopus Energy.
They do not have pre authorisation fees like some and covers a number of charging networks.
Zap-map is great for finding chargers.

·
Vendor
Honda E
13 Posts
Hey @OntheMove

We know how annoying it can be to have to download 17 different apps for public charging so hopefully we will be able to help with this.

We’re Bonnet - a London based startup focused on making EV charging easier, faster and more affordable for everyone.

An EV charging app may not sound that groundbreaking to you, but trust us, we’re different. We combine the 17+ different charging apps into one, making the world a greener place and saving you time and money. We already have 2500+ chargers in the UK and 55000+ in Europe - by the beginning of 2022 we are aiming to have more than 70% UK coverage (around 17000 chargers). After that? World EV Charging domination. (We’re kidding...kind of.)

Bonnet users can use our app at any charging point - this means no more RFID cards and no need to download a new app every time you use a new charge point.

In the UK we work with companies like ESB, Char.gy and Shell, offering competitive prices in both a Pay As You Go option and a subscription based option, which you can cancel at any time. So if your Audi e-tron needs a rapid charge, you’ll pay as little as 25p/kWh - no matter what type of charger or company you use.

To top it off, if you run into any issues we have live support via the in-app chat and live information on all chargers, which is cross checked with suppliers and other sources before being published.

Still need convincing that Bonnet is the EV charging app for you? How does 1-month free charge sound? We’re offering SpeakEV members one month free of any of our monthly refilling packages (worth up to £50/200kWh).

All you need to do is download Bonnet from the App Store or Google Play, sign up with the code SPEAKEVBNT and redeem the monthly refill you'd like to try. In the unlikely chance we’re not for you, you can cancel at any time before the renewal date.

To find out more about us, check out joinbonnet.com or search for us on the usual social channels on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn for updates and offers.

We’re confident you’ll love Bonnet as much as we do. Let us know in this thread your thoughts and if there are any improvements you would like to see as we grow!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts