1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
should work just fine however it does not look like its designed to be used outside as there is no weather protection on the 13amp socket

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
should work just fine however it does not look like its designed to be used outside as there is no weather protection on the 13amp socket
I guess i will just wrap some insulation tape around it to seal it.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I guess i will just wrap some insulation tape around it to seal it.
NOOOO! Please don't do that!

Why not just do it properly and safely... get something that is designed for the job such as this... change the 13A plug for a commando plug and you would have something that is water resistant and RCD protected.

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrical/extension-leads/rcd_adaptors/Masterplug-Converter-Lead-RCD-Protected-for-Outdoor-Equipment-0-5m-EXS13IPS05-OP-MS-10549099?ecamp=SEAPLA11039631&ef_id=U9tX2AAABehDCslZ:20140820150634:s&noCookies=false

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need the blue commando for charging my Tesla Roadster.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yes this does work ok as my friend had one in his caravan when I called to see him on holiday and we charged my Ampera with it on the next pitch to his. The plugs are usually waterproof so if you use a waterproof 13amp socket as well it should be safe to use. You can purchase all from Screwfix at a good price, make sure the cable will also take all the load. These type of blue plug/sockets normally have their own breakers built in the feed sockets.. G.T.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi
Just a quick question, I have a Renault 3 pin plug charger, and was also thinking of making up a lead to plug into the commando socket, in case of emergencies and use on campsites etc.
My question is, when you look on the charge map and look at the details of a commando charge point, it gives this as 32amp, surely this is a misprint and the esve charger will only draw the 10 amps it is design to run at?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yes, you can use a commando socket to charge your Zoe. And you're correct that the EVSE will only draw a maximum of 10A.

Buy a commando socket to 3-pin adapter from any electrical store. Remember that there are 32A and (physically smaller) 16A commando sockets!

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just bought myself a double 3 pin plug socket and wired a commando on the end in place of the original plug. It works great. I'd recommend getting an outdoor type socket with an RCD built in. B&Q sell them

·
Registered
67 Posts
13A plugs generally are not even slightly water proof, and few 13A sockets are either, including the toolstation one linked to by @ashley8bit.

My business involves a lot of cee-form (commando) cables which, when constructed correctly, are rain & puddle proof and capable of carrying the full design current all day every day. Where we have to break supplies to 13A on 'outside' gigs we ensure sockets are under cover (rain protection) AND off the ground (protection from submersion) AND we go back and beat people who take the sockets off the wall mount because their cable doesn't reach.

If you have to have a 13A socket outside which can't be undercover then use one these PCE 16A (amp) Midnight (Black) Ceeform Plug | eBay, one of these LAP 13A 1-Gang DP Switched Plug Socket, and 750mm of 1.5mm HO7. If correctly assembled with suitable glands the entire adaptor and the 13A socket / plug combination will at least be rain proof, and then all you need to do is keep it off the ground.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts