Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Driving yet another EV!
2,844 Posts
Actually, if this is a caravan at a Haven park it us likely to be a static caravan permanently wired following the same IET regulations as a house. This should be the same as charging from a rented cottage. You would still need to work out if the wiring is safe before plugging in. The park may be able to offer you a separate hookup for charging the car - if so this would be ideal.

2,844 Posts
Most holiday parks seem to change their static caravans every 5 to 10 years. I would be very surprised to find a socket in a modern unit unable to safely supply less than half of the rated capacity. As the park and the head office have both said it's OK, I would personally be happy to charge at 6A (though I would make a visual inspection first).

2,844 Posts
With 6A you are likely to be OK but I would still take care. Caravans, even statics, are likely not to have wiring as robust as a house.
I'm not sure what gives you that impression - they are both covered by the same wiring regulations. In fact holiday park caravans have to be regularly tested and inspected (every 3 years). You should actually expect such wiring to be more reliable than an average home!

2,844 Posts
Folk seem to be overlooking the fact that the real issue will be what the MCB is fitted to pitch. It is not unknown for sites to supply 16a capable commando sockets with an MCB limited to 6a. With an EV plugged with with a converter or 'thru the window' will still trip as the load increases past 6a.

Very few pitches provided 10a, as most site owners keep them low to prevent abuse.
This thread is about static caravans rather than touring - so this would not arise. Also in my recent experience most sites now seem to supply 10A or 16A rather than 6A. Perhaps it is a sign of the times that 6A is no longer enough for a typical caravan!

2,844 Posts
You'll be metered? At my site there is a 'standard electric' fee of £150pa and lights. Sockets and tank are all on 6a breakers. Main breaker RCB is dated at 16a
Metered sort of! The static is at my home as we are living in a "project" house so need somewhere to live during building work (assuming that ever gets started). My static is an ex-holiday-park van and has a 40A main RCD.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.