Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a dumb question, but what the hey....

We're going for our family holiday to Cumbria shortly. I was going to take our ICE diesel. But then I discovered that the first leg of our stay, in a hotel, has EV charging (ZCW). The second part of the stay is in a Haven caravan. I'm assuming I can just charge the car via a standard 3 pin plug trailed from the caravan interior. Would I be correct in my assumption?

If not, I'll take the diesel. But by my reckoning we'll be using at least £110 of diesel compared to about £30-£40 in the Ampera if I can charge at the caravan.

· Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My extension cable has an RCD if that means anything. Not sure there'd be any point phoning as I'm sure they won't understand or say an outright 'no' (because they won't know).

· Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Blimey...I hesitate at Ikea flat pack furniture Paul; I don't even understand what I've just read...never mind taking it on. Think it will be the ICE after all :-(

· Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the Ampera has a setting to reduce it's draw down to 6 amps doesn't it?
Indeed it does...in fact it defaults to it. Given that I'd be charging overnight with nothing else drawing current, should I be ok and does an RCD offer any form of protection?

· Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have spoken to both Head Office and the park...and they both said it's fine. HO said 'it happens all the time' yet the park said 'we've not been asked before'. They say there is no separate 'hook up' outside the caravan but it's ok to just plug in with a cable through the window.

Reactions: Paul

· Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was pushing them to refer it to the Estates Manager. How else would I find out if they can cope? Guess I may just have to address it when I get there.

· Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will charge at 6A, during the day, whilst I'm present and I'll initially do it with nothing else running (other than the fridge). Apparently the park has 2014 model caravans. Where would the wiring be 'heating up'? Anywhere that I can check?

All the caravans now have electric ovens.

· Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So as long as the OP doesn't use an SES to BS1363 adapter he might be alright....
Eh? "Speak English boy". ;)

I'd be using a high quality extension cable with RCD and then plugging the standard 6a/10a brick from Vauxhall...and I'll charge at 6a

· Registered
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well, I charged from the caravan just fine at 10amps. Still used things like the kettle and electric heater at the same time. I checked the plug regularly and it was actually cooler than the plug used to charge the ipad!

It was a brand new caravan mind you...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.