Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Folk seem to be overlooking the fact that the real issue will be what the MCB is fitted to pitch. It is not unknown for sites to supply 16a capable commando sockets with an MCB limited to 6a. With an EV plugged with with a converter or 'thru the window' will still trip as the load increases past 6a.

Very few pitches provided 10a, as most site owners keep them low to prevent abuse.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Folk seem to be overlooking the fact that the real issue will be what the MCB is fitted to pitch. It is not unknown for sites to supply 16a capable commando sockets with an MCB limited to 6a. With an EV plugged with with a converter or 'thru the window' will still trip as the load increases past 6a.

Very few pitches provided 10a, as most site owners keep them low to prevent abuse.
This thread is about static caravans rather than touring - so this would not arise. Also in my recent experience most sites now seem to supply 10A or 16A rather than 6A. Perhaps it is a sign of the times that 6A is no longer enough for a typical caravan!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Statics certainly are different when compared to touring pitches, but I still see the umbilical connector remaining ubiquitous at 16a so whilst this covers the water tank, kettle etc I have never seen a mains ring with a 32a capability!

Some wholly- owned pitches with their own meters are less of an issue, but it is clear you simply cannot assume that an EV will be able to successfully charge... Until you've done it!

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Hmm, My static has two 20A circuits (a main ring and an extra circuit with only two sockets) and a 6A lighting circuit.

·
Registered
582 Posts
You'll be metered? At my site there is a 'standard electric' fee of £150pa and lights. Sockets and tank are all on 6a breakers. Main breaker RCB is dated at 16a

·
Super Moderator
7,364 Posts
Hmm, My static has two 20A circuits (a main ring and an extra circuit with only two sockets) and a 6A lighting circuit.
So as long as the OP doesn't use an SES to BS1363 adapter he might be alright....

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
You'll be metered? At my site there is a 'standard electric' fee of £150pa and lights. Sockets and tank are all on 6a breakers. Main breaker RCB is dated at 16a
Metered sort of! The static is at my home as we are living in a "project" house so need somewhere to live during building work (assuming that ever gets started). My static is an ex-holiday-park van and has a 40A main RCD.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So as long as the OP doesn't use an SES to BS1363 adapter he might be alright....
Eh? "Speak English boy". ;)

I'd be using a high quality extension cable with RCD and then plugging the standard 6a/10a brick from Vauxhall...and I'll charge at 6a

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
At particular risk of getting hot are connections and connectors.

I am quite surprised at the apparent lack of concern over this issue from some here. I have seen plugs melt completely when charging on a 13A socket! 6A will be better and should be OK if the caravan is new but my fear is that people may read some of the blase comments suggesting all will be well and then go and plug into an old caravan with old wiring and loose connections. It doesn't bear thinking about.

I am sure that we consideration of the risks and sensible care all will be well :)

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Many don't have your standard of electrical installation Matt. To try to suggest others will be fine because yours is fine is not wise IMO.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well, I charged from the caravan just fine at 10amps. Still used things like the kettle and electric heater at the same time. I checked the plug regularly and it was actually cooler than the plug used to charge the ipad!

It was a brand new caravan mind you...

·
Registered
731 Posts
I thought you'd be ok, yes its best to air on the side of caution but 10 amps for a 2.5mm cable is nothing really even if its a radial circuit although you can't account for old sockets and loose connections.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Electric ovens in a house now plug in to 13amp sockets, its the electric hobbs that take the high current and need their own circuit, I charged my ampere at 6amps over night from the static caravan 13amp plug in Devon this year with no problems...

·
http://ts.la/david3488
642 Posts
Are most static caravans connected to the site supply with a 16A Blue Commando or 32A Blue Commando?
I ask As im sure I have seen blue commando under them but it has been years..

·
Registered
581 Posts
I recently went on holiday in a static caravan and charged my LEAF from the 3 pin socket.
I had no problems.

·
http://ts.la/david3488
642 Posts
i just wondered if the vans plug in with commando, if they do a commando Y splitter to openevse would do the job nicely

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
At particular risk of getting hot are connections and connectors.

I am quite surprised at the apparent lack of concern over this issue from some here. I have seen plugs melt completely when charging on a 13A socket! 6A will be better and should be OK if the caravan is new but my fear is that people may read some of the blase comments suggesting all will be well and then go and plug into an old caravan with old wiring and loose connections. It doesn't bear thinking about.

I am sure that we consideration of the risks and sensible care all will be well :)
My father , who is an old school electrical engineer (working from substations, to HV Lines, to industrial plants), and I were discussing this recently. He had been called in for some advice at one particular factory (an electro plating firm) where they had regular metal clad surface mount sockets around the place which subsequently powered a number of movable immersion heater units they used to heat the chemical baths.

Similar problem to EV charging, i.e. long periods of high current, resulted in the plug tops melting. High quality plugtops lasted longer, but cheapo ones soon melted.

Rather than replace all the sockets with Commandos, (each with an MCB to retain localised overcurrent protection), the cost effective solution was to solder the fuses into the plugs!

The resistance between the fuse and the fuse carrier in cheap plugs was such that it caused significant heat build up.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
That is interesting. Might help.

My main concern though with caravans is the rest of the wiring and fuse box (MCB) unit... is it up to taking 10A for hours on end? I know a lot are, which is fine, but my concern is people just assuming that it is OK, plugging in and going to bed. The consequences are scary!

21 - 40 of 73 Posts