Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

· Registered
410 Posts
Hi just considering buying a Leaf and as I have a Caravan Club CL with hook ups (16amp) I was wondering what I would need to use a hook up points on my campsite before my home charger is installed.

Thanks in anticipation

Andrew

· Administrator
7,186 Posts
Hi Andy they look like this

Yep commando.

Which car are you thinking of getting?
The 3.3kW Leaf has the 13a charge lead as standard where as the 6.6kW you have to purchase as an extra (LEAFers please correct me if I am wrong)

You can purchase a commando to 13a socket lead from most caravan shops.

· Registered
9,328 Posts
I think Nissan are going to supply two leads as standard on the new Leafs, so you take your pick which one to use..
Sorry but that is not so...

The two leads that are supplied are a 1) a 13A EVSE with a 3-pin plug and 2) a 16A type 2 to Type 1 cable.

You can only use the 16A type 2 to type 1 cable on charging stations that are designed specifically for EV charging. They have components inside that work together with the cable and the car. Those components are not in the 16A caravan hook up sockets.

To charge at a caravan site hook up you will need a converter cable to allow you to plug in the 13A 3-pin plug. Something like this will work well...

Wood stain Design Table Wood

You can get one of these from B&Q but it has a 3-pin plug. You will need to get a 16A commando plug from a caravan supplies shop and replace the 3-pin with it. You will then have a converter cable you can use at a caravan site and it has a built in RCD. You can see in the pic of my one I have already replaced the 3-pin plug for the blue commando. If you don't feel comfortable replacing plugs then ask someone who is competent.

Don't forget to get the permission of the site owner though will you. I always offer to pay... a couple of pound a night is quite reasonable IMO. Normally though they allow me to charge for free once I explain how little they take.

It is always worth remembering too that caravan site electrics are often not as robust as household electrics and even though they might say "16A" it is sometimes the case that they can handle a lot less. This is one reason why you should always get the site owner's permission so there are no surprises in the middle of the night :eek:

:)

· Registered
410 Posts
"Don't forget to get the permission of the site owner though will you. I always offer to pay... a couple of pound a night is quite reasonable IMO. Normally though they allow me to charge for free once I explain how little they take.

It is always worth remembering too that caravan site electrics are often not as robust as household electrics and even though they might say "16A" it is sometimes the case that they can handle a lot less. This is one reason why you should always get the site owner's permission so there are no surprises in the middle of the night :eek:"

Hi Paul & AndyG

Thanks for the feedback I am the campsite owner so I am in the clear! :) I also built the campsite so the electrics are better than the house and tested every 12 months, I thought it would be a good temporary measure until I sorted the home charger, as each pitch has RCD protection I assume I won't need to add another?

· Administrator
7,186 Posts
"Don't forget to get the permission of the site owner though will you. I always offer to pay... a couple of pound a night is quite reasonable IMO. Normally though they allow me to charge for free once I explain how little they take.

It is always worth remembering too that caravan site electrics are often not as robust as household electrics and even though they might say "16A" it is sometimes the case that they can handle a lot less. This is one reason why you should always get the site owner's permission so there are no surprises in the middle of the night :eek:"

Hi Paul & AndyG

Thanks for the feedback I am the campsite owner so I am in the clear! :) I also built the campsite so the electrics are better than the house and tested every 12 months, I thought it would be a good temporary measure until I sorted the home charger, as each pitch has RCD protection I assume I won't need to add another?
I thought from my read through that you had a point on the outside of your house for when you store your caravan. It turns out you have more than enough points.:p

Might be worth your time posting in the classified section as lots of the debate over the summer is where we can go and charge (if you are happy to let others charge as well)

Also it might be worth dropping @Kevin Sharpe a line as you sound like the ideal place for a ZCW charge point.

· Registered
9,328 Posts
Thanks for the feedback I am the campsite owner so I am in the clear! :) I also built the campsite so the electrics are better than the house and tested every 12 months
Fantastic! What could be better? ;)

I wish the last site we were on was as good as yours. They were meant to be 10A hook ups but regularly tripped out at the site distribution box... not just at the hook up box. Not only that but the voltage was down to just 210-215V most of the time. Mind you, the site owners were lovely people and always helped us charge even letting us use their private 16A hook up instead of the caravan ones.

BTW... where in Cornwall are you... I am in Saltash :)

· Registered
9,328 Posts
That is almost the same as the supplied 3-pin charging cable that comes with the Leaf but with a commando plug and the ability to charge at 16A.

If you don't need to charge at 16A, and there is generally no need when charging overnight, then the converter cable I posted about will do the exactly same job but for about £20 instead of the £320 of that EVSE unit. :)

· Registered
410 Posts
Paul I am on the Lizard Peninsula about 5 miles from Kynance cove I have 5 hook up points on the campsite open all year but very busy in the summer months and unfortunately the campsite doesn't have any spare capacity but I am sure we could come up with a plan in emergency.

I have been in contact with the Drive EV Project Development Team Cornwall at Cornwall Council who informs me that we have light at the end of the tunnel as Cornwall Council has been successful in securing Department for Transport funding to install a network of EV chargers across Cornwall the project must be completed next year so fingers crossed we may get some much-needed infrastructure!

Andrew

· Registered
269 Posts
I know I know Paul we have covered this once or twice before, I was saying if he is on the sites he can pick his 13amp EVSE cable and off site use the other one supplied, so he wont need to buy a cable if its a new car with 6.6 kw. charger, but he will poss. need a commando plug on site...

· Registered
69 Posts
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread - I just wanted to update with our experience, as this thread was the first thing to come up after a Google search.

We had no option but to charge at our park, as we arrived with 0 miles remaining.
Checked with site staff and they said charging from the van would be fine (on this park - others may not be).

We can't unplug our blue lead and charge directly from there, as it would wipe the credit on our meter. So we charged using an RCD plug from a 3 pin in the van, without an extension cord, and with everything else unplugged except the fridge. The 3 pin socket and RCD was slightly warm after an hour, so we shut it off and let it cool before doing another hour. That was enough to get us to a public charger.

Definitely keep checking the socket if you try this (underneath the plug as well as around it). IMO it would be risky to charge overnight, but I may be extra cautious.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.