Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

· Registered
920 Posts
We had no option but to charge at our park, as we arrived with 0 miles remaining.
Checked with site staff and they said charging from the van would be fine (on this park - others may not be).

We can't unplug our blue lead and charge directly from there, as it would wipe the credit on our meter. So we charged using an RCD plug from a 3 pin in the van, without an extension cord, and with everything else unplugged except the fridge. The 3 pin socket and RCD was slightly warm after an hour, so we shut it off and let it cool before doing another hour. That was enough to get us to a public charger.

Definitely keep checking the socket if you try this (underneath the plug as well as around it). IMO it would be risky to charge overnight, but I may be extra cautious.
FWIW, last year we visited Haven Rockley Park.. They said if we were able to plugin, charging from the van would be fine (at the time, we thought we had several charging options; but when we got there we found them all to be bad!). Luckily our car was parked right outside our bedroom window. We didn't really think about the possible issues with this and just plugged in and charged overnight almost every night (a Renault ZOE, using the official Reault granny lead). I didn't think to check whether the sockets got hot, but fortunately there were no fires!

In future, we'll be nervous about booking without having confirmation we can park next to the van (unless we know there are reliable chargers nearby, and that counts out CYC and Polar!) :(

· Registered
39 Posts
Hi

I want to get clarity on this, we have a static Caravan in the Lake district, Modern wiring but Iam sure the max load is 12 amps, I am wondering if I could plug my Leaf in. (probably think not) I was also wondering about charging via generated,

How does it work to plug into the connection on an empty site, you must need some form of adapter?

· Registered
6,758 Posts
Hi

I want to get clarity on this, we have a static Caravan in the Lake district, Modern wiring but Iam sure the max load is 12 amps, I am wondering if I could plug my Leaf in. (probably think not) I was also wondering about charging via generated,

How does it work to plug into the connection on an empty site, you must need some form of adapter?
The Leaf granny lead will draw 2.4kW, so you would just be in spec (10 amps) if you had nothing else in use. But the cabling is unlikely to be designed to handle that high a load for a prolonged period so I'd be wary.

On an empty site you'd need a Commando to UK adaptor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Caravan-adapter-16AMP-Socket-caravans/dp/B00TU2KXI8

· Registered
9,330 Posts
Hi

You can do either but be careful... I wouldn't charge at 10A. Some people do it but fire risk in any caravan is much greater than in a house and the electrical wiring etc may not be as up to the job in your caravan as in your house. If you do then I would charge at 6A if you can.

You can charge from a spare hookup but you will need an adapter cable to go from the commando (blue) to a 13A socket. I made my own one up but if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself get someone else who is to do it for you. It shouldn't cost more than the price of a commando plug, a 13A socket and some extension lead cable. Make sure they are all rated for 10A continuous and securely wired. Remember, if it is to be left in the open you must make sure the 13A socket is properly protected from the rain... I use one of these and it seems to work pretty well.

Wood stain Yellow Design Wood Table

Also, don't forget to ask the permission of the caravan site owners. They may charge you an additional fee per night but it shouldn't be more and a few pound. I have seen an extra £5 a night which I think is too much but it is their site so they can charge what they want. Make sure it is a full 16A hookup if you are charging at 10A... a 10A hookup may cause the site MCB to go... I did that once and you aren't flavour of the month with the rest of the site occupants if that happens!!!!!

Attachments

· Registered
9,330 Posts
I have done this times on a caravan park.
Have had no issues with the 10amp granny lead out of the window.
Just dont plug the kettle in at the same time.
Turn one off first.
Good for you! But just because it works for you with your van electrics doesn't mean it will be safe for everyone else!

Seriously... be careful and make sure your wiring or distribution box is not getting hot. I did it a couple of times myself through a 13A socket in the van and because I didn't notice any smelling of burning or the plug/socket get hot so I assume it was all OK. In fact the distribution box under the seat in the lounge was getting very hot indeed. I only discovered it by accident when looking under the lounge seating for something. After that I never did it again and only charged directly from the hookup using my made up cable.

If your wiring and distribution box can handle it then do it at your own risk but don't for a minute think that because you have charged once or twice and your van didn't catch fire that everything is fine... a fire in a caravan is not something any of us would like to risk I am sure.

· Registered
806 Posts
Good for you! But just because it works for you with your van electrics doesn't mean it will be safe for everyone else!

Seriously... be careful and make sure your wiring or distribution box is not getting hot. I did it a couple of times myself through a 13A socket in the van and because I didn't notice any smelling of burning or the plug/socket get hot so I assume it was all OK. In fact the distribution box under the seat in the lounge was getting very hot indeed. I only discovered it by accident when looking under the lounge seating for something. After that I never did it again and only charged directly from the hookup using my made up cable.

If your wiring and distribution box can handle it then do it at your own risk but don't for a minute think that because you have charged once or twice and your van didn't catch fire that everything is fine... a fire in a caravan is not something any of us would like to risk I am sure.
Its fine.

· Banned
2,159 Posts
Well I am about to try this with our Zoe and will report back how it works in 2018! lol

· The best there is at what I do
12,350 Posts
I think most cars can be set to charge at a reduced rate and this would be the preferred method when charging from a caravan, even on a reduced rate the car should charge up overnight.

· Banned
2,159 Posts
6A is best Ive found anyway - even if you have 10a why risk it?

61 - 73 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.