Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a charge point install and I would like to go Ohme as it works well with the Octopus tariffs. But (i) installed outside on our drive, I think its rather messy and (ii) there actually not much space either side of the car on the drive where it would have to be mounted so it is kind of going to be in the way. I was then thinking maybe go Rolec, but that still has the issue of (ii) and I, as I realised today, (iii) where it would be mounted is going to get a soaking when I wash the car!

So I'm now thinking of mounting the charger just inside the garage door and run the cable to the drive when I need it (prob only once a week).

I've just had a look and there isn't quite the clearance for a cable under the garage door. I'm thinking that I could drill a channel for the cable so it is clear but would welcome if anyone has any neat solutions as on a look around I've seen some people with 'hatches' in the garage door (and I can see the channel for the cable just getting full or muck and water and sand from the block paving etc.) .

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

·
Registered
947 Posts
I do the same, Ohme cable sneaks under the garage door. Even though the Ohme cable is annoying thick no issues. If you were to look at my garage door it would appear as though there would not be enough space. Have you tried with an existing cable?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,739 Posts
I'm looking at a charge point install and I would like to go Ohme as it works well with the Octopus tariffs. But (i) installed outside on our drive, I think its rather messy and (ii) there actually not much space either side of the car on the drive where it would have to be mounted so it is kind of going to be in the way. I was then thinking maybe go Rolec, but that still has the issue of (ii) and I, as I realised today, (iii) where it would be mounted is going to get a soaking when I wash the car!

So I'm now thinking of mounting the charger just inside the garage door and run the cable to the drive when I need it (prob only once a week).

I've just had a look and there isn't quite the clearance for a cable under the garage door. I'm thinking that I could drill a channel for the cable so it is clear but would welcome if anyone has any neat solutions as on a look around I've seen some people with 'hatches' in the garage door (and I can see the channel for the cable just getting full or muck and water and sand from the block paving etc.) .

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Yes, there are several threads on this subject already.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I did the same with the Rolec. I had the benefit of wooden door frames for the garage. I chopped out the bottom inch of one side so the cable would come underneath the frame (it's bolted sideways into the wall so won't drop). To make sure that the cable stayed put and wasn't trapped by the door closing, on the inside of the doorframe I put a small piece of slotted steel plate held loosely by a screw. The steel plate drops down to the floor under gravity trapping the cable in place. To remove the cable I just lift the plate and pull the cable out.

As I rarely charge in the garage, to avoid constantly mucking around with the cable, I bought a blank holster and fixed it high up on the frame so the Type 2 plug could be holstered outside out of the weather.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
In my previous house, I realised that when the electric door on the garage came down, there was a 2 cm thick rubber strip on the bottom edge. So I simply cut a hole in that meaning when the door came down, the cable which was flush on the floor didn't get squashed.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe Signature Nav R90 ZE40 Diamond Black Metallic
276 Posts
Cat flap from Homebase, charging cable hooked inside garage behind flap, pull out to charge, hang back behind the flap on completion. Used it for 15 months until Pod-Point installed. And no mice, or cat, issues!
🐭🐱

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do the same, Ohme cable sneaks under the garage door. Even though the Ohme cable is annoying thick no issues. If you were to look at my garage door it would appear as though there would not be enough space. Have you tried with an existing cable?
I don't have the charger yet, but I tried a 15mm copper pipe and it wouldn't close.

In my previous house, I realised that when the electric door on the garage came down, there was a 2 cm thick rubber strip on the bottom edge. So I simply cut a hole in that meaning when the door came down, the cable which was flush on the floor didn't get squashed.
No such luck, I think I would have to dig a channel.

I did the same with the Rolec. I had the benefit of wooden door frames for the garage....
Metal only for me and then off to one side is a brick pillar.

If a cable can get through the hole, a mouse probably can too... make sure you take precautions against critters.
I have quite a few gaps around the frame of the garage door so I don't think another channel would change this, I have to rely on the fact that most neighbours have cats as local pest control!

Cat flap from Homebase, charging cable hooked inside garage behind flap, pull out to charge, hang back behind the flap on completion. Used it for 15 months until Pod-Point installed. And no mice, or cat, issues!
🐭🐱
I am toying with this. I've also seen portholes used for caravans.

----------

And one other question having seen some other posts: I've seen some people talk of disconnecting the tethered lead so it could be thread through a small gap (I have these to the side of my garage frame, just not big enough for the plugin end). Is it possible to take the lead off the ohme charger so the lead could be threaded through. I am leaning to if I could have just the end of the cable docked externally, but the ohme inside the garage, that is the ideal solution!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
And one other question having seen some other posts: I've seen some people talk of disconnecting the tethered lead so it could be thread through a small gap (I have these to the side of my garage frame, just not big enough for the plugin end). Is it possible to take the lead off the ohme charger so the lead could be threaded through. I am leaning to if I could have just the end of the cable docked externally, but the ohme inside the garage, that is the ideal solution!
Before I came up with current solution, I even considered putting a core drill through the wall into the garage that was big enough to accommodate the charger head, lining it with some form of plastic pipe with guide pulley system inside to allow the wire to retract and extend and a flap on the outside to keep the weather / vermin out. That was going to be overkill a bit :rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am fortunate enough to be able to get the car into the garage to charge but I did wonder why no one was marketing a through wall connector. Plug the charger in on the inside, plug the car in on the outside. Added advantage that if you are worried about someone trying to steal a charge, simply unplug the charger from the inside when you leave.

·
Registered
7,303 Posts
Cat flap from Homebase, charging cable hooked inside garage behind flap, pull out to charge, hang back behind the flap on completion.
This kind of story always reminds me that Sir Isaac Newton's major claim to fame is his invention of the cat-flap in 1700. But he wasn't that smart because when he got a second cat he fitted a second cat-flap. Sooooo if you got a second EV in the fleet would you also fit a second flap?

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe Signature Nav R90 ZE40 Diamond Black Metallic
276 Posts
This kind of story always reminds me that Sir Isaac Newton's major claim to fame is his invention of the cat-flap in 1700. But he wasn't that smart because when he got a second cat he fitted a second cat-flap. Sooooo if you got a second EV in the fleet would you also fit a second flap?
I'd buy a bigger house with a double garage, simple! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Got a type 1 and 2 but can only use one at a time anyway due to location.

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I am fortunate enough to be able to get the car into the garage to charge but I did wonder why no one was marketing a through wall connector. Plug the charger in on the inside, plug the car in on the outside...
Problem with this is it breaks the safety rule that there must be a single continuous cable between EVSE socket & the car's socket. Each plug has a built-in resistor value which corresponds to the cable current capacity, 680 ohms for a 20A, 220 for a 32A cable, 100 ohms for a 70A single-phase (or 63A 3-phase) cable. So there are 2 in your portable Type 2 cable, and they allow whatever's plugged in at either end to inspect the cable & determine the safe max current it can carry. There's a special pin, Proximity (PP), which is local to the plug, has this resistor between it & the Ground, that's it.

Suppose you design this through-wall-connector for 32A, 3-phase, surely that's enough, no-one's ever using more than that at home??? Some day, someone, somewhere will install themselves a 50A 3-phase EVSE for super-quick home charging; they plug their new 3-phase 50A EVSE into your extender, plug their car into it rated 50A, all the signals & comms agree on 50A, charging starts at 50A and soon after the extemder melts internally, shorts the mains to th CP line and fries the car. And maybe sets fire to the extender.

In effect it's an extension, and these aren't allowed for this reason - they can't be checked-out by the logic at either end.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Problem with this is it breaks the safety rule that there must be a single continuous cable between EVSE socket & the car's socket. Each plug has a built-in resistor value which corresponds to the cable current capacity, 680 ohms for a 20A, 220 for a 32A cable, 100 ohms for a 70A single-phase (or 63A 3-phase) cable. So there are 2 in your portable Type 2 cable, and they allow whatever's plugged in at either end to inspect the cable & determine the safe max current it can carry. There's a special pin, Proximity (PP), which is local to the plug, has this resistor between it & the Ground, that's it.

Suppose you design this through-wall-connector for 32A, 3-phase, surely that's enough, no-one's ever using more than that at home??? Some day, someone, somewhere will install themselves a 50A 3-phase EVSE for super-quick home charging; they plug their new 3-phase 50A EVSE into your extender, plug their car into it rated 50A, all the signals & comms agree on 50A, charging starts at 50A and soon after the extemder melts internally, shorts the mains to th CP line and fries the car. And maybe sets fire to the extender.

In effect it's an extension, and these aren't allowed for this reason - they can't be checked-out by the logic at either end.
You could achieve it if the charger was designed to be mounted internally with a tethered lead or socket inside and there was also a kind of telescopic socket on the rear of the charger that could present through to the outside wall. Obviously, the internals would have to be able to prevent both connections being live at the same time but such priority switches already exist so wouldn't be difficult to design in to a unit. Question I guess is, how many people have a suitable location to make the design worthwhile and how many actually want to be able to charge inside and out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We have 2 cars (an ICE and an EV). We park one in the garage and one on the drive usually (Normally park the EV on the drive at the moment as its the one we use most often)

Mounted the charger on the outside of the garage, but the roller garage door has a (quite squishy) rubber strip on the bottom. Before the charger got installed I was using the granny charger plugged in just inside the garage and the rubber strip on the bottom of the door just moulded around the cable passing under it.

If we ever parked the EV in the garage (or got another one), we could easily charge the cars in either parking spot: garage or drive! Especially as the cable on our charger is 8.5m long!

Could have obviously done it the other way round but this is a bit more convenient - don’t need to open the garage to plug the EV in (plus the charger looks alright there I think!)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not exactly the right thread for this, but what do you think of the Polestar?
Hi! It’s going ok thanks. Delivered at end of October just before lockdown 2 so not used it too much yet but been on a few longish trips.

It feels effortlessly fast (and this is coming from a BMW M4), but unflappable because of the 4 wheel drive and sheer mass. Getting ok but not great economy: about 3miles per kWh on average (best I’ve seen is 28kWh per 100mi). Easily get over 200 miles motorway range. Interior and infotainment feels high quality and I personally love the design.

There’s been a couple of recalls - mines booked in for early Dec - and the software has a few minor buglets but it’s mostly been trouble free for me. Still waiting for the iPhone app/phone as key which is due early 2021. Polestar / Volvo have been pretty good and have recently given early adopters £450 of Polar credit for any trouble.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi! It’s going ok thanks. Delivered at end of October just before lockdown 2 so not used it too much yet but been on a few longish trips.

It feels effortlessly fast (and this is coming from a BMW M4), but unflappable because of the 4 wheel drive and sheer mass. Getting ok but not great economy: about 3miles per kWh on average (best I’ve seen is 28kWh per 100mi). Easily get over 200 miles motorway range. Interior and infotainment feels high quality and I personally love the design.
3m/kWh seems pretty good!
I was getting around 2.2 from a Mercedes EQC on an extended test drive.
P2 test drive was due to take place this weekend but got cancelled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took someone else's suggestion of buying some treated 2x4's and cutting them just short of the garage door opening (I have an electric door). Door rolls down onto 2x4s and the cable runs through the gap, no chopping of anything required and no chance of squashing the cable.

I only charge once a week so can leave the door fully down the rest of the time, no holes for vermin!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts