Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, another newbie but till now I had an Outlander PHEV.

I am trying to charge from my British Gas home charger. First surprise was it’s Type 1 connector and Niro’s type 2 so I bought an adaptor. Now it’s plugged in. I think it’s charging. Two questions:

why does the UVO app say “Charging” and “Not plugged in”?!

it says 11 hours remaining to charge. It was 50% when started. 22 hours to charge? Really?

thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
On your dashboard it should be telling you the charge rate (kW) ... what's it saying? If you're charging at 3ish kW then, yes, it is 22h for a full charge.

Quick way to confirm if its charging is to look for the flashing green light on top of the dash.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Uvo app is not the most intuitive UI. That's the "Charging" section of the UI, and below it will tell you the current status, not plugged in, plugged in (but waiting / completed) or actually charging. It's confusing that whatever the state, it still shows that Charging label...

Charge time depends on the amount to fill of course as well as the charge rate. The Niro will charge at 7 (or 22) kW. The former needs a 32A charger, the latter 3 phase. You might find your Outlander charger was only 16A or ~3kW. It's not a 100% efficient process, so a fairly empty 64kWh pack at around 3kW would be 20+ hours.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
462 Posts
It is also worth checking that the charging rate is set on the car at maximum (on my "4" press the EV button and then charging and see the rate it is set at). The e-Niro can slow down the charging rate which can be particularly useful if you charge from solar panels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Uvo app is not the most intuitive UI. That's the "Charging" section of the UI, and below it will tell you the current status, not plugged in, plugged in (but waiting / completed) or actually charging. It's confusing that whatever the state, it still shows that Charging label...

Charge time depends on the amount to fill of course as well as the charge rate. The Niro will charge at 7 (or 22) kW. The former needs a 32A charger, the latter 3 phase. You might find your Outlander charger was only 16A or ~3kW. It's not a 100% efficient process, so a fairly empty 64kWh pack at around 3kW would be 20+ hours.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
Hi, another newbie but till now I had an Outlander PHEV.

I am trying to charge from my British Gas home charger. First surprise was it’s Type 1 connector and Niro’s type 2 so I bought an adaptor. Now it’s plugged in. I think it’s charging. Two questions:

why does the UVO app say “Charging” and “Not plugged in”?!

it says 11 hours remaining to charge. It was 50% when started. 22 hours to charge? Really?

thanks
Thanks fir your replies. It is charging. The UVO app seems to need to be told to update! One issue was I couldn’t see the green lights on the dash in the sunlight!

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,563 Posts
Yes the UVO app doesn’t auto update so every time you look at it assume it’s old information.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
8,339 Posts
The slow charging will be caused by your home charger only being a 16 amp unit for the Outlander. The solution is to replace it with a new smart charger but that will be expensive outside the grant system - especially if it also needs an uprated cable right back to the CU. If you can live with a 3.3 Kw rate of charge that takes ages then it will be fine. But the existing BG charge unit must be at least 6 years old by now and well out of its guarantee period so perhaps a change of car justifies a new all singing all dancing Zappi to go with it.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
806 Posts
Strange how car configurations vary between countries. I have the 'medium' spec'd e-Niro which doesn't have a heatpump, heated seats or steering wheel, LED lights etc but it does come with the 11 kW OBC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts