Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please excuse what my be a silly request. I am a newcomer to PHEVs having recently purchased a Passat GTE. I have been able to charge it from the domestic plug. Today for the first time, having got my charging network card, I tried charging from a public charger (I am in Ireland and have the card fro the ESB network). I just couldn't get the charging to work. What I did was:

1. Turned off the motor - it was in EV mode
  2. Tapped on the charger to register my presence
  3. Inserted the cable into the charger
  4. Inserted the cable into the car port
All that happened was that the lights on the charger stayed green, the screen graphic continued to indicate that I should be plugging the lead into the charging point and the car charging light showed yellow and then went off. I've attached some photos. For some reason there does not seem to be any communication between the car and the charger point.

If anyone can advise what the issue may be and how to rectify it that would be really appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
On image 6949 the label on the hinge may give you the answer. A solid yellow light means no supply voltage. So the problem seems to be at the charger end.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, thank you very much for your reply. What I forgot to say is that when I got to the charger there was a Nissan Leaf charging properly on the other charging point. The owner was kindly going to test his cable on the VW but unfortunately the connectors are different. I also tried connecting to the charge point that he had been using with the same results of no connection being made and the yellow light on. I'm wondering if either there could be a fault in the cable itself or at the car? In the meantime I am glad that I have a PHEV as I have to go to England and on to the Isle of Man at the start of May.

·
Registered
421 Posts
John, thank you very much for your reply. What I forgot to say is that when I got to the charger there was a Nissan Leaf charging properly on the other charging point. The owner was kindly going to test his cable on the VW but unfortunately the connectors are different. I also tried connecting to the charge point that he had been using with the same results of no connection being made and the yellow light on. I'm wondering if either there could be a fault in the cable itself or at the car? In the meantime I am glad that I have a PHEV as I have to go to England and on to the Isle of Man at the start of May.
There is unlikely to be a problem with your car because you have successfully charged it with the basic charging cable. Try swap-testing both your type 2 cable and the charger you are using. That way you should be able to determine where the problem lies. Maybe you can get advice from other GTE users? Also, you may find helpful information here: https://www.zap-map.com
You are welcome to send me a personal message if you wish.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, thank you very much for your suggestions and the link. I will try the step by step approach. There are other charging points near to me and I will try those out. If that is not the problem then I will get the cable checked - I have also read that the connectors can get dirty and may need cleaning so that is something else on the list!

I really enjoy the Passat - it seems an excellent combination of a spacious saloon with a reasonable boot and one that can do a lot of local journeys without needing to use the petrol engine. It will be interesting to see how it goes on the IOM where many travelling distances are quite short. It could be a good offset to the higher fuel costs there!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is unlikely to be a problem with your car because you have successfully charged it with the basic charging cable. Try swap-testing both your type 2 cable and the charger you are using. That way you should be able to determine where the problem lies. Maybe you can get advice from other GTE users? Also, you may find helpful information here: https://www.zap-map.com
You are welcome to send me a personal message if you wish.
John, again thank you very much for your suggestions. The process of elimination is beginning to show results. This seem to point to an issue with my charging cable itself. This morning we had coffee at Ballymaloe House in Co Cork. They obligingly have a Type 2 Tesla charger with the cable attached (and a separate one for Tesla cars). That worked perfectly with the car and I got a decent increase in battery charge in the hour we were there. As a next move I will try to get some contact cleaner and clean the two connectors on the lead (the one built into the car must be OK) to see if that fixes the issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
Is your car under warranty?
Is it the original yellow supplied VW cable?
Could well entail a visit to a main VW dealer for a replacement type2 - type2 cable.
Type2 cables have a small resister; to allow the charger to know the maximum current draw allowed.

We have had an occasional failure whilst charging using external chargers using the VW supplied lead. Less so whilst at home on our Rolec tethered.

Same as you, swipe your RFID card, insert charger end plug, insert car end plug, several seconds later; either no start of charging or an error light at the charge socket. Usually that’s the order to follow, but I’ve found the odd charger needs coaxed into giving out a charge.
Sometimes giving the plug at either end a firm push insertion, especially if the lead has the rubber storm shrouded collar that was a retrospective upgrade to help prevent rain ingress into the car charge socket, to help protect it from freezing.

Best option as previously suggested is using another type2 lead, more so at the same charge point if this is going to be a regular haunt.
At least it’s a two birds, one stone test!

·
Registered
603 Posts
On further inspection of the photo 6949; I have reason to believe the the shroud isn’t fitted correctly. The shroud overhang, which is only on the upper half, should fit towards the car socket end. You can see some grey of the plug which shouldn’t be visible.
Yours definitely looks like it’s fitted back to front. Simple fix.
When I returned home from having the recall notice carried out to both leads; I found one fitted correctly, the granny charger, which would never be used outside; and the type2 fitted incorrectly, which is the one that really needs to provide protection.
Goes to show the dealer never tried the leads after fitting, and installation instructions weren’t looked at!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Brian - I'll head down to the car after dinner and have a good look. It's great when the green light come on! The car is still under warranty if the issues continues.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Thanks Brian - I'll head down to the car after dinner and have a good look. It's great when the green light come on! The car is still under warranty if the issues continues.
Remove shroud, try charging, refit shroud reversed to current position.
100% guaranteed resolution.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brian - thank you. Have done the reversing of the shroud this evening. I will post when I have visited the charging point in town - noted your comment about charging without in place if I have any issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brian, I had a chance to test the lead today at an ESB Charging Station. Your suggestion was spot on. I removed the shroud and the charging process worked. many thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts