Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just wondering for those that have applied for the charging pods at home grant...we received an email from a company to take pictures etc of where it will be etc etc under the T&cs it stated the pod has to be attached to the main property. Now I don’t mean to sound dumb however does this mean the house...or could it mean the garden wall?? No where have I read to be eligible for the grant it has to attached to the house...our drive is at the back of the house but in between the house and the drive is our back garden with a brick wall built round it. The only problem I can see arising is they will have to use extra cable along the wall. Without the grant I’m looking at numbers of r£800+ is this correct? With that and other fees I need to pay out of my current car I just won’t be able to afford it at this moment in time so the grant would be really helpful!

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
842 Posts
There are some specific requirements for the grant, and I believe the installer is on the hook if OLEV decide the installation isn't eligible, so some installers take a cautious approach. If there's extra cable, that will almost certainly fall outside most 'standard' prices, but shouldn't be a massive cost.

As long as the drive is yours, and the wall is yours, I can't see any reason why you couldn't install there. Is there any public or shared paths involved?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So to get onto my drive you have to drive over a public path. Basically at the back of my garden there is a little cup de sac of houses and they have their drives and allocated parking spaces. But my drive is directly behind my back garden with a brick wall in between. The wire would easily be fitted accross the wall and then thread through the back to the pod unit I believe. No wires should need to go over a public path

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks I’ll forward on the information they have asked and see what they say. The company is rolec...do you recommend any other companies incase they do see it as a problem but maybe others don’t?

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
842 Posts
I didn't use the OLEV grant as it was a bit of a paperwork nightmare in my case so I don't have a personal recommendation. I remember Charged EV being recommended somewhere.

I would definitely ask a local electrician to look at the cost for going without the grant - particularly if you either want a non-smart charger, or if you're able to go down the Commando socket + OHME route (I mentioned in your other thread). It may well work out cheaper than with the grant anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey just wondering for those that have applied for the charging pods at home grant...we received an email from a company to take pictures etc of where it will be etc etc under the T&cs it stated the pod has to be attached to the main property. Now I don’t mean to sound dumb however does this mean the house...or could it mean the garden wall?? No where have I read to be eligible for the grant it has to attached to the house...our drive is at the back of the house but in between the house and the drive is our back garden with a brick wall built round it. The only problem I can see arising is they will have to use extra cable along the wall. Without the grant I’m looking at numbers of r£800+ is this correct? With that and other fees I need to pay out of my current car I just won’t be able to afford it at this moment in time so the grant would be really helpful!
They only supply 5 meters I think then you’ll pay for every meter over it will say in the the grant under installation.

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
Thanks I’ll forward on the information they have asked and see what they say. The company is rolec...do you recommend any other companies incase they do see it as a problem but maybe others don’t?
Probably a good idea to read the multiple horror stories on this forum of failures of the rubbish quality Rol#c chargers and the make your decisions, is do your homework.

·
Registered
Zoe ZE50 GTline CCS
882 Posts
When u say you have to drive over a public path, has the kerb been lowered to allow you to do so.
When I got mine installed that was one of the conditions so not only did I have to send pics of house and electrical unit but also a picture of the droped kerb leading into my drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just reading the part from the OZEV grant

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've just had a home charger installed inside my garage. The installation company reduced the invoice amount by £350 but it was made clear that I'd have to pay it back to them if my grant application was rejected at a later date.

I needed quite a lot more cabling than the 10m included in the quote. The additional cost was £6 per metre and £50 per hour labour for any additional time needed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts