Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 538 Posts

·
Registered
Vauxhall Mokka-e Elite Nav Premium
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the announcement by various charging networks such as GridServe and Osprey that they will be building hundreds of charging hubs over the next few years, it got me wondering what the current situation is for hubs. They're likely to play a big part in long-term EV infrastructure and journey planning. How many of us are going to plan to stop at these specifically because we know we're very likely to be able to get a charge?

So I decided to map it out.
(I recommend only enabling one category at a time as the pins overlap)

It's by no means a complete list and mostly just a bit of fun to see what it would look like if I were to say to myself "I feel confident stopping at these places on a long journey and know I will get a charge".

My main criteria was 6+ of the same connector type operating at the same speed to make the cut.

You'll also notice the sites appear in multiple categories if they meet the criteria for those categories and it seems relevant.

Anyway, I probably missed some but feel free to shout if you know of other high-powered ones that should be added.

·
Registered
EV6 GT Line and e208 GT
886 Posts
Really useful. There seem to be a lot in the planning phase but it is quite shocking to see how few hubs currently exist with 6 chargers or more! I suspect this number is set to increase quite a bit over the next 6 to 12 months.

·
Registered
Vauxhall Mokka-e Elite Nav Premium
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
quite shocking to see how few hubs currently exist with 6 chargers or more!
Yeah, It's really not very many but it's definitely set to increase. In making this I actually did discover the Banbury hub which is placed exactly half way my trip up the country to my parents so that's been a nice revelation for me.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
6,253 Posts
Really useful. There seem to be a lot in the planning phase but it is quite shocking to see how few hubs currently exist with 6 chargers or more! I suspect this number is set to increase quite a bit over the next 6 to 12 months.
Gridserve Norwich is well along in construction. There are pics on the "Gridserve Location Spotting" thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very useful & let's hope the map gets filled up with many more fast charge point soon. Used Rugby services yesterday, Gridserve, exactly how a charge network should be, 12 charge points (+ all the Tesla ones), 2 out of service (I'm still a virgin at this game & no idea whether you'd be likely to have success getting a non-working unit back to life with a phone call), pulled up at the last empty point (Phew!) plugged in, tapped the card & away it went at 30p per kW, saw a max charge rate of 75kW, not sure if that's a limitation of the car/batteries (Hyundai Kone, 21 plate) or something else, but half an hour later with over 50% charge we were on our way - if only they were all like that there'd be a lot more EV's on the road!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Like the map and this is definitely the way to go in the future for charging companies. Plan on taking my Leaf from Bristol to Cromer at the weekend and will use the Instavolt hubs at Corley and Necton. Fingers crossed this should be fairly painless unlike trying to grab a charge on the old Ecotricity infrastructure etc where a long journey with an EV felt like a gamble.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Like the map and this is definitely the way to go in the future for charging companies. Plan on taking my Leaf from Bristol to Cromer at the weekend and will use the Instavolt hubs at Corley and Necton. Fingers crossed this should be fairly painless unlike trying to grab a charge on the old Ecotricity infrastructure etc where a long journey with an EV felt like a gamble.
There are 6 CHAdeMo plugs at Rugby, if Corley is in use.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
2,130 Posts
I suspect the capacity of the grid connection is the limiting factor at most sites.

·
Registered
EV6 GT Line and e208 GT
886 Posts
I suspect the capacity of the grid connection is the limiting factor at most sites.
You might be right but if Tesla can build wall to wall Super Chargers right across Europe (I attach a picture taken in June 2019 at a tiny super market in the middle of a rural area near Bergen in Norway) then somebody needs to get their finger out and fix it. We are way behind the curve. Tesla built the infrastucture before volume production of model 3 started.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
821 Posts
Also they're ALL in England! None in NI, Scotland, Wales or the People's Democratic Republic of Cornwall.

·
Registered
EV6 GT Line and e208 GT
886 Posts
Also they're ALL in England! None in NI, Scotland, Wales or the People's Democratic Republic of Cornwall.
Yes noted there is nothing with more than a couple of charge points north of Wigan on the M6 until four very overworked Ionity chargers at Gretna. You can guess how busy they get. I regularly travel up to Dundee from London by ICE currently and stopped in there recently for a peek on my way back from Glasgow. All four in use and six cars waiting....

We need a lot more hubs and we need them on every main route throughout the UK.

·
Registered
352 Posts
You might be right but if Tesla can build wall to wall Super Chargers right across Europe (I attach a picture taken in June 2019 at a tiny super market in the middle of a rural area near Bergen in Norway) then somebody needs to get their finger out and fix it. We are way behind the curve. Tesla built the infrastucture before volume production of model 3 started. View attachment 150737
the UK might be where Norway was 6 years ago, in terms of sales. Some of their infrastructure we can only dream of... Or perhaps we are just skipping over some of their intermediate steps, straight into their present (like the Kempower grouping)

·
Registered
EV6 GT Line and e208 GT
886 Posts
Hope we are but I suspect it will be a muddle as usual. We don't seem to be good at big national infrastructure in the UK. I am thinking lack of any high speed TGV style rail services, aging nuclear power stations that weren't replaced, Crosslink delayed etc. I wonder if there is the ministerial ability and vision necessary to create the right environment for development to accelerate. Wind power is a success story they also need to address the artificial cost differences between gas and electricity. Perhaps Boris has some pronouncements in time for COP26 up his sleeve...

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
IIRC, Gridserve have promised large hubs (6+ rapids) at Exeter, Cornwall (St Austell) & Swansea services (also Reading & Thurrock) by the end of the year.
(The planning docs for Cornwall even show a canopy over the chargers! :eek:)

1 - 20 of 538 Posts