Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
5,494 Posts
Really useful. There seem to be a lot in the planning phase but it is quite shocking to see how few hubs currently exist with 6 chargers or more! I suspect this number is set to increase quite a bit over the next 6 to 12 months.
Gridserve Norwich is well along in construction. There are pics on the "Gridserve Location Spotting" thread.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Like the map and this is definitely the way to go in the future for charging companies. Plan on taking my Leaf from Bristol to Cromer at the weekend and will use the Instavolt hubs at Corley and Necton. Fingers crossed this should be fairly painless unlike trying to grab a charge on the old Ecotricity infrastructure etc where a long journey with an EV felt like a gamble.
There are 6 CHAdeMo plugs at Rugby, if Corley is in use.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Also they're ALL in England! None in NI, Scotland, Wales or the People's Democratic Republic of Cornwall.
IIRC, Gridserve have promised large hubs (6+ rapids) at Exeter, Cornwall (St Austell) & Swansea services (also Reading & Thurrock) by the end of the year.
(The planning docs for Cornwall even show a canopy over the chargers! :eek:)

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Gridserve have applied for planning permission at Stevenage just off junction 7 of A1 and also Bromborough in the Wirral. Both akin to their first Electric Forecourt near Braintree, which is brilliant.
Link to their news page GRIDSERVE | Blog Press
While the Stevenage site will look very much like Braintree, the Bromborough site is modelled after their in-construction Norwich location instead. The facilities will sit over the chargers.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
My bad, hadn't expanded the map large enough, there are 2 overlapping points on Zapmap, one for the Gridserve & one for Ionity!

Does anyone have any new additions to add, with the amount of electric vehicles being sold/leased now, these hubs with a decent no. of outlets are surely the way to go?
I note with the units at Rugby (quite probably elsewhere too) that they cut off at 90%, so may stop people hogging chargers whilst charging that last 10% slowly!
There are 9 new Gridserve rapids at Moto Swansea ready to go live any day now.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Exciting times ahead!

TL;DR - MFG will spaff £50m this year on installing 350x 150kW rapids at 60 sites (some ev-only, some at petrol stations, 4-8 per site), and will this quarter turn on 20 more they built late last year!
Further, they'll add 300+kW units as need increases.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
1 - 20 of 97 Posts