Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
On the M6 right next to Junction 34 (Lancaster) (LA1 3SW) there is the Caton Road Park and Ride hub (BP Pulse) that has six Rapids and 12 (6 x 2) fast chargers. Downside is that there are no other facilities (shop, food, toilets) here, but it meets the criterion of six rapids.
Are these still working? I read varying accounts…

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I used this one last week for my first ever charge, it was straightforward. Worth noting for those looking ahead that when a charger at this site is being used it seems to often show as out of order on zapmap, even though it isn't.
Yes - it’s Zap-Map user reports not live data. You can get the live data from the mfg app and on wattsapp

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
8 x 150kW rapids at MFG Filton, Bristol BS34 5TN.
Gridserve "Electric Forecourt" it ain't - Great to have all these chargers, but there's nowhere comfortable to sit and eat or stretch your legs. MFG have got a fair-sized Budgens here, a self-op Costa coffee vending machine and a takeaway Greggs. There's absolutely no indoor seating and just a piss-poor picnic table outside. It was useless on a wet December day and it will still be useless in February.

It was my first time of getting food from a Greggs. MFG have got the right idea with plenty of chargers but everything else is wrong - I was on a long leg of journey, I didn't particularly need a supermarket and the food & drink choice was v.poor. Nowhere to sit and stretch your legs other than to return to drop crumbs on your lap in the car.
Missed opportunity by MFG
View attachment 156699
But better than no awnings or shop? As many chargers locations have!! Our local MFG Charging hub has four or five stools by a window bar so people can wait/work inside. Tbh I’ve never seen them occupied.

congrats (?) on your first Greggs. I’m interested - what did you go for? 😁

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
New MFG 5 charger hub spotted today just off J23 of the M60 in Ashton. 👍👍 not quite as ready looking as the ones at Prestwich and Barlow moor road - but the chargers and canopy were in. Very useful stop (2 min from Motorway) for those coming around the RH side of the M60

Sky Tree Fence Window Electricity

bp
0161 330 0204

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Yes - I’m (personally) pleased they seem to be on a one company crusade to up MCR’s rapid charging! They own the sites (which makes it easier) but I wonder if their research echoes others showing the NW to have one of the poorest charger/EV ratios.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Saturday afternoon as a bit of a test I drove past four McDonalds on my journey to see if I could charge had I needed to. All of them Instavolts. Without exception, every single one of the chargers was ICE'd.
Thing with mcDonalds and charging points are - most people stop there for 20 min max - and will be in the cafe - so can move.
Second - near half the cars parked at ones I’ve been to recently are Uber Eats/Deliveroo drivers waiting for their next job… again often in the car and can move etc…

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
nice. So whats the best strategy for hoovering up as many chargers as possible if you’re heading (a) north up the M40 and (b) south down the M40? what order is it best to visit - are they all (these, tesla, kempower) off the same junction?
Yes. IV closest to motorway - SC and Kempower 5 min away.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
It was slow but I was on 60% with a cool battery. Only stopped for five minutes while picking up a sandwich rather than needing the charge per se.
New units seemed easy to use.
It’s going to be dead handy for visiting my parents in Kendal. I can do the round trip on a full charge - in good weather driving sensibly - but this will mean a easy quick 10-20% to ensure no problems.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts