·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
5,485 Posts

·
Registered
Enyaq iV 80
82 Posts
It seems that there will be no direct access between the AC chargers (for NEC visitors only) and the rapids (for people passing through).
I think that's a good thing, right? With appropriate signage, should prevent accidental blocking of rapids by those charging on AC all day? But note the indicative lane marking "fast charge" pointing towards the rapid chargers, rather than the AC charging, which are presumably 7kW "fast" chargers...

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
i3 120Ah->Kona 64kWh->e208->ID.3 Family->Model 3 60kWh LFP
4,185 Posts
I’m all for the fast marking pointing towards the place where charging happens as fast as it can.

Most people will laugh if you tell them a 7 kW unit that will charge their car in 6, 7, 8+ hours is “fast”.

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
254 Posts
The whole naming needs a kick in the pants!
What is the name going to be that they use for beyond "ultra"?

IMHO better to simplify to some terms which mean what they say:
AC7, AC11, AC22, AC43
DC50, DC60, DC100, DC150 etc

...then we can do away with all the type-1, type-2, Mennekes, slow, fast, rapid, ultra rapid
word-soup which is confusing to Joe Public.
AC at home and for longish stays
DC for a rapid splash (maybe time for the human rapid splash at the same time)

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3LR
1,374 Posts
All DC chargers should be called fast chargers. No point using ultra/rapid as that'll get obsolete eventually.

AC chargers are just chargers - call them 'mains' chargers if you want.

Reactions: RobinB

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
5,485 Posts
Looks like the pilot for Tesla opening UK superchargers to the rest of us has begun!

Available sites are as follows:-
  • Adderstone NE70 7JU
  • Aviemore PH22 1PN
  • Dundee DD2 5JT
  • Manchester Trafford Centre M17 8AA
  • Flint Mountain CH6 5QG
  • Aberystwyth SY23 3TL
  • Banbury OX16 1LX
  • Wyboston MK44 3AL Birmingham St Andrews B10 0BW
  • Trumpington CB2 9FT
  • Thetford IP24 3TP
  • Wokingham RG41 5DG
  • Uxbridge UB8 1QJ
  • Thurrock RM20 2ZP
  • Folkstone Eurotunnel Terminal CT18 8XX
  • Cardiff CF23 8HE
EDIT - Tesla already changed the list - Wyboston swapped for Birmingham, Cardiff added

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
i3 120Ah->Kona 64kWh->e208->ID.3 Family->Model 3 60kWh LFP
4,185 Posts
IMHO better to simplify to some terms which mean what they say:
AC7, AC11, AC22, AC43
DC50, DC60, DC100, DC150 etc
I do agree in principle, but it gets tricky when the max output can depend on the voltage system of the car, and also can vary if it’s a chargepoint with distributed power with other cars already charging.

As I understand it, the Kempower units dynamically adjust the display of vacant units to show what’s the max it could potentially deliver at that time, taking into account other cars already charging.

I don’t think you would have physical road signage that said “300 kW DC charging”, for these Alpitronic units for example, because at times that could be impossible to achieve, even if you did have a car that could readily accept it.

Maybe the road marking should say “300 kW charging (provided your car’s battery can take it and provided you don’t have to share a unit)”

·
Registered
754 Posts
Looks like the pilot for Tesla opening UK superchargers to the rest of us has begun!

Available sites are as follows:-
  • Adderstone NE70 7JU
  • Aviemore PH22 1PN
  • Dundee DD2 5JT
  • Manchester Trafford Centre M17 8AA
  • Flint Mountain CH6 5QG
  • Aberystwyth SY23 3TL
  • Banbury OX16 1LX
  • Wyboston MK44 3AL
  • Trumpington CB2 9FT
  • Thetford IP24 3TP
  • Wokingham RG41 5DG
  • Uxbridge UB8 1QJ
  • Thurrock RM20 2ZP
  • Folkstone Eurotunnel Terminal CT18 8XX
I hope Zap-Map will modify these to CCS from Tesla CCS so they show up in filters.

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
254 Posts
I do agree in principle, but it gets tricky when the max output can depend on the voltage system of the car, and also can vary if it’s a chargepoint with distributed power with other cars already charging.

As I understand it, the Kempower units dynamically adjust the display of vacant units to show what’s the max it could potentially deliver at that time, taking into account other cars already charging.

I don’t think you would have physical road signage that said “300 kW DC charging”, for these Alpitronic units for example, because at times that could be impossible to achieve, even if you did have a car that could readily accept it.

Maybe the road marking should say “300 kW charging (provided your car’s battery can take it and provided you don’t have to share a unit)”
It's a fair point, but I wan't trying to "boil the ocean" by including all the provisos!
I don't think I've lost any clarity which was present in the woolly term "rapid" ;)

The car manufacturers and charger designers need to play their part better by displaying the limits applicable.
If you selected a "charge" screen on the head unit it could show you (before you pull up to a charger):
"Max charge rate 55kW
Limited by battery temperature 14°C"
...and keep updating the story during a charge
"Limited by SOC 84%"
That might help push drivers to the 50 or 60kW chargers and not waste their money (and other people's time) on a 100+kW charger.
or
"Max charge rate 60kW
Limited by charger (car max 125kW)"

The charger screen should show the upper limit before you connect, based on supply or current shared use if applicable. When charging is under way it should show what it is delivering in nice bold figures and whether the limit is the car or the charger.

Plainly, from the number of times we go round slow charging issues, particularly with the onset of winter temperature...
...we need some simple clarity on screens to hammer home the (usual) truth that the car is the limit. Sadly the charger can't know what the reason is for the car's BMS limit: is it temperature or what. I think there are probably some niche cases where it isn't the fact that the whole pack has reached a sufficiently high charge, but perhaps a few cells have been monitored as reaching near the maximum voltage (because the pack is no longer well balanced).

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
254 Posts
I particularly like that (mains rather than AC) - by including the word "mains" - It certainly brings home the fact that you are just plugging into the mains, whether at home or elsewhere.
It falls down a bit (and I was as guilty) because all the AC variants are not chargers at all, just a "socket". We've all got used to these things, but the same clarity isn't in the heads of the public who are considering and buying their first EV.
Mains socket to plug the car into, so the onboard charger can do its job or DC charger to charge the battery direct.
The things people use at home are (emphatically) not chargers. "EVSE" is technobable to most people, so perhaps it would be better to call them EV wallbox - the thing you plug your car into so it can charge itself.
...it contains safety features and sometimes some timers or monitoring.

·
Registered
Enyaq iV 80
82 Posts
All DC chargers should be called fast chargers. No point using ultra/rapid as that'll get obsolete eventually.
How about "short-stay" chargers and "long-stay" chargers? It's not the rate that's the issue, and we all know lots of factors affect the rate we get, but the problem comes when we block a charger somebody else needs.
Maybe we'd all learn quickly if there were more in overstay charges on "short-stay" chargers once fully charged.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 2 ZERO
5,597 Posts

Well, they're not, are they? DC chargers are that: chargers. AC charge points are glorified electric plugs - the charger is in the car.

·
Registered
2022 Tesla Model 3LR
1,374 Posts
Well, they're not, are they? DC chargers are that: chargers. AC charge points are glorified electric plugs - the charger is in the car.
you know what people mean when they say that though. While technically correct I’m not sure calling them something different based on where the actual charging control hardware sits is that useful?

Reactions: Bill N
261 - 280 of 362 Posts