Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

We've just taken the plunge and bought a used Model S after a long time thinking about various EV options! Very exciting!!

We're in a bit of a home charging limbo at the moment as we're renting while looking to build our own house. We have a kind neighbour about 10mins walk away who is letting us use there charger at the moment which is a good stop gap.

My partner commutes to Bury every day in the car and was hoping to charge in one of the car parks there, but the current chargers seem a bit flakey and the new ones are "hopefully a couple of months away".

So I'm wondering if any of you good people live in Bury, commute somewhere with an EV and might be amenable to a Tesla borrowing your driveway and electric 9-5? With suitable renumeration in return of course. ;)

Cheers,
LocalTesla

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Hello,

We've just taken the plunge and bought a used Model S after a long time thinking about various EV options! Very exciting!!

We're in a bit of a home charging limbo at the moment as we're renting while looking to build our own house. We have a kind neighbour about 10mins walk away who is letting us use there charger at the moment which is a good stop gap.

My partner commutes to Bury every day in the car and was hoping to charge in one of the car parks there, but the current chargers seem a bit flakey and the new ones are "hopefully a couple of months away".

So I'm wondering if any of you good people live in Bury, commute somewhere with an EV and might be amenable to a Tesla borrowing your driveway and electric 9-5? With suitable renumeration in return of course. ;)

Cheers,
LocalTesla
Where abouts in Bury does she commute to ?
I've not seen that many EV's in bury, but there are a few Outlanders in the surrounding villages.
I also commute to Bury every day, but I can charge my Ampera off a 13A plug every day.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Lee, thanks for your reply, her work's in the town centre on Guildhall Street. They have limited parking there (without any charging at the moment!) so she's on a waiting list and is happy to walk 10-15mins as that's what she'd be doing from the parkway car park. She's seen a few outlanders around and there's often one parked at the charge point that works in the parkway.

If you do think of anyone who might have a charging spot/driveway free in the day that they might be interested in renting out then please give me a shout.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Hi Lee, thanks for your reply, her work's in the town centre on Guildhall Street. They have limited parking there (without any charging at the moment!) so she's on a waiting list and is happy to walk 10-15mins as that's what she'd be doing from the parkway car park. She's seen a few outlanders around and there's often one parked at the charge point that works in the parkway.

If you do think of anyone who might have a charging spot/driveway free in the day that they might be interested in renting out then please give me a shout.
I'll certainly keep my eyes open for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How far is the person travelling? Presumably a couple of hundred miles each way if you need to charge.
Hi Jeremy, thanks for your reply. I can understand your confusion. We should really have waited until we were moved into our new house before getting the car, as we're currently renting somewhere without off street parking and hence not much in the way of home charging options. But it my take us the rest of our lives to build a house and hence the electric car might never happen!

We can charge near home (in Ipswich,just over 60 miles round trip to Bury), but as my partner is parking and walking to work and paying for the privilege, I though they're might be a chance for us to charge easier during the day while she's at work, and line another EV owner's pockets in the process. ;)

·
Registered
769 Posts
How about doing a triangular commute via the Thetford supercharger ?

Would add a few miles to your trip, but would be a free electric....

·
Ecohound
1,291 Posts
Have you joined Plugshare as this has two levels of viewing and as a registered member you can see other members who don't mind sharing a charger.
None registered for Bury St Edmunds but a couple in Ipswich. Obviously this may change over time. Enjoy your new car I was speaking to an MS owner today that loves his car and is off to France in it tomorrow, with a trip to Italy planned for next year. (y)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you considered those sites where you contact home owners to just park on their drive ? Perhaps they would also let you run a 13amp lead to the car for an extra payment. Here is a typical one.

Parking on Finborough Road, IP14

I havn't fully researched of course for ones near her work.

Edit- found one :) - Private driveway for rent in Bury St. Edmunds
Thanks for the tips everyone. I did try this space straight away on just park but he didn't reply.:(

Yeah, charging is a bit limited in Ipswich, but very limited in Bury! The parkway doesn't seem like an option unfortunately as it's quite difficult to get into the spaces due to the wall, the left charger is out of order & we couldn't get the right one to work, it looked to me like the hinge on the door was broken. Hopefully the council's new chargers will come to fruition sometime soon.

I can charge through the letterbox from 3 pin which is okay, and we have been past thetford supercharger a few times on the weekend. We'll have more time next weekend & step up our hunt for an EV friendly drive in Bury and a more permanent solution in Ipswich.

·
BMW i3
38 Posts
Ipswich BC are working on new chargers: I noticed that the ones they told me about recently at the new Elm Street Car Park now have the ducting on the wall (spotted last night).

They said also that the new Crown Street Car Park will have them. No good for the present, but hopefully a glimmer for the future ...

Cheers

·
Registered
412 Posts
The Parkway 3-pin charger (right hand one) seems to be permanently Outlanded (almost as bad as being ICE'd!) during the day at the moment - the second one was out of order although I heard it appeared to be in use yesterday (although could just have been ICE'd).

The Waitrose chargers work (so far my only away-from-home charge) but at 3.6kW in a car park with a 2-hour time limit, I'd find a chocolate frying pan more useful.

Apparently there's a new 22kW charger at the hospital site, shown on the Charge Point Genie network - I have not investigated but I'd imagine there are parking charges here, as well as charges to use the charger.

Other than that, it does seem to be a charging desert at the moment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kept meaning to come back on here and say thank you to everyone, we got it sorted! Found someone in Bury with a driveway and a type 2 single phase 32A charger that the don't use in the day, and as a bonus they have solar on their roof! :)

It's a 25 minute walk for my partner but she can easily take the brompton in the back of the car for when it's dry or she's in a rush.

Not been back to the Parkway to see if it's still Outlanderish/broken or seen any sign of the Rams Meadow chargers yet. We did use Bury council which is a good charger but the wrong side of Bury and I think it's suppose to be a two hour parking limit although you can leave a note in your car and give your reg to reception to avoid being ticketed. Couldn't find the Hospital chargers.

Don't think we'll have any joy with on street charging near home in Ipswich anytime soon.

They have installed four 16A single phase chargers in the Buttermarket car park in Ipswich, these are a little unusually placed, if you just carry on round toward the exit on the ground floor you'll spot them. It looks like it may be impossible to get into two off them! (Although it does mean two of them are weird large spaces which is ideal for an oversized car like the Tesla Model S ;)). They are usually green when you arrive which means you can just plug in, then you need to buzz security from the pay station to ask them to come and release your cable (security seem quite good, only ever had to wait a couple of minutes and think they are there 24 hours).

The station in Ipswich has two great 3 phase chargers that I think are 22kW (tops out at 11kW on my Tesla). These are perfect for us in an emergency and it's cheap to park overnight on a Friday or Saturday, only £1.70 I think I was charged, which isn't what it said on the pay station! I'll keep an eye on Elm Street as I pass there most days... I can see where I think they are going to install them!

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Kept meaning to come back on here and say thank you to everyone, we got it sorted! Found someone in Bury with a driveway and a type 2 single phase 32A charger that the don't use in the day, and as a bonus they have solar on their roof! :)

It's a 25 minute walk for my partner but she can easily take the brompton in the back of the car for when it's dry or she's in a rush.

Not been back to the Parkway to see if it's still Outlanderish/broken or seen any sign of the Rams Meadow chargers yet. We did use Bury council which is a good charger but the wrong side of Bury and I think it's suppose to be a two hour parking limit although you can leave a note in your car and give your reg to reception to avoid being ticketed. Couldn't find the Hospital chargers.

Don't think we'll have any joy with on street charging near home in Ipswich anytime soon.

They have installed four 16A single phase chargers in the Buttermarket car park in Ipswich, these are a little unusually placed, if you just carry on round toward the exit on the ground floor you'll spot them. It looks like it may be impossible to get into two off them! (Although it does mean two of them are weird large spaces which is ideal for an oversized car like the Tesla Model S ;)). They are usually green when you arrive which means you can just plug in, then you need to buzz security from the pay station to ask them to come and release your cable (security seem quite good, only ever had to wait a couple of minutes and think they are there 24 hours).

The station in Ipswich has two great 3 phase chargers that I think are 22kW (tops out at 11kW on my Tesla). These are perfect for us in an emergency and it's cheap to park overnight on a Friday or Saturday, only £1.70 I think I was charged, which isn't what it said on the pay station! I'll keep an eye on Elm Street as I pass there most days... I can see where I think they are going to install them!
I'm glad you got sorted. Think I saw your partner charging at the council office one morning. Thought it would be a long walk through town for her though ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Hmm, seems you can open that manually so a Fireman can cut the HV loop in event of emergency. The corresponding loop in my Ampera lives in the rear boot space, but AFAIK there's no way to open that manually! Or at least I hope not !!!

In emergency I assume said Fireman would smash the tailgate glass to access the side compartment on the left, & snip the cable.

·
Ecohound
1,291 Posts
It looks like it would be a very tight squeeze if not impossible in a D model. Interesting about the Frunk, hope the charging arrangements are still working out for you. I still haven't found the chargers at the hospital but with our longer range Zoe arriving in March perhaps they won't be necessary.
Taking the long way to Bury tomorrow so hopefully I will get a charge at the Waitrose, fingers crossed. 1 13A socket in the multi storey won't really be what I want and SWHTBO won't be happy. :whistle:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Afraid it's not the D model, mid 2015 model S 85, and sorry it took me so long to get a photo of the range extender in action!
View attachment 21305 View attachment 21313

I only found out from the Electrek article yesterday that the frunk is not a secure place to leave things! I had thought it was more secure than the boot... ooops!
Tesla front trunks can open without a key but it’s an important safety feature – not a ‘flaw’
This seems rather crude compared to the Nissan removable link in the floor of the passenger compartment. Will firemen be cutting this on every Tesla they are called to after a minor shunt? I expect they remove the Leaf link as a matter of course.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts